GPD Pocket

Here are all the details of the GPD Pocket as will be listed on the Indiegogo page on Feb 15th. All specs are detailed - to much to list all here. The price will be $399 on Indiegogo and the RRP is $599. But as we know the RRP doesn't mean much, the GPD WIN has a RRP of $499 but sells for $330 - $360

You choose whether you want Win 10 or Ubuntu 16.04, ie it's not dual boot

http://www.gpd.hk/news.asp?id=1520&selectclassid=002001

grbgpnayz8zdyrbzkhve.png

awvrakhfk4qnblwqiwrl.jpg

ac3lm2dhm8jqbqyynkcl.png

Last edited:
@levi, That is more of a hey, look , if you really want that SD slot you all kept harping on about, then just plug in a hub. But yeah, not the best hub example

Don't know why they just didn't listen to everyone and added a SD/uSD slot

It looks like a very interesting device. The keyboard layout isn't as bad as I had expected from them. I wonder how hard it would be to ditch the Ubuntu OS and install Debian. I would be tempted, though, to get this with the Windows 10 pre-installed to be able to choose between Win and Ubuntu - since Ubuntu should be able to be loaded later. The limited local storage (no SD slots) is a serious drawback. Still, I'm about 50/50 on whether to order one on the 15th.

I'm going to ask first this time; will the pocket be stocked in your shop @EvilDragon ?

If so then I'll probably get one later this year, if not I'm bound to get itchy trigger finger on indiegogo. Bit stupid about the card slot though.

The card slot doesn't bother me that much, because 90% of the time, it'll probably be on my network, so I'll copy files over the network.
The non-replacable battery bothers me, but I don't know why really, because I've not actually changed a battery in anything recently (though I probably should on my Pandora, considering it's bulging a bit).
But I do like the look of this...

Those spec sheets...
"Ubnutn system" - haven't heard of that one before.
"Household intelligent device" - what, like a roomba?

From what I read on their Chinese forum, it seems this will be a much quicker campaign turn around. I think they said it would go on sale around June/July in China. They also said it wont be like the WIN in that the HW for the Pocket is more mature. So I'd say the fulfillment for the Indiegogo campaign will be a lot quicker than the WIN, probably June. I suppose we will see in 2 days time

I'm going to ask first this time; will the pocket be stocked in your shop @EvilDragon ?

If so then I'll probably get one later this year, if not I'm bound to get itchy trigger finger on indiegogo. Bit stupid about the card slot though.
If it is any good, yes.

I'm sceptical about Ubuntu though.
This sounds like it's basically the same hardware as the GPD Win (which would explain the short development time), and we all know how well Linux runs on the GPD Win...

If it is any good, yes.

I'm sceptical about Ubuntu though.
This sounds like it's basically the same hardware as the GPD Win (which would explain the short development time), and we all know how well Linux runs on the GPD Win...

With the Pocket though, GPD have developed the drivers for it . So not really a good comparison

We will have to just wait and see.

But if they've developed the drivers, and they're probably using a lot of the same bits in the Win vs the Pocket, why don't they release those drivers to Win owners who want to run Ubuntu?

But if they've developed the drivers, and they're probably using a lot of the same bits in the Win vs the Pocket, why don't they release those drivers to Win owners who want to run Ubuntu?
They still plan to when they finish the drivers etc ie they are still working on it or they may have finished recently - hard to tell. When I asked several weeks ago (Jan 4th) , they said they were still developing the drivers for the WIN.

Last edited:
The Win still has more than just driver issues, and given the speed the Win received simple bugfixes, I doubt they have a Linux running properly in half a year...

@ED

Well, the GPD WIN Indiegogo campaign goes back a year now, and it was within the campaign that they said (multiple times) they were going to work on Linux (drivers) for it. I just never mentioned it much/at all here. Didn't want it to put anyone off the Pyra. Especially when I have always had a , well I'll believe it when I see it attitude towards it. I still have that attitude, not because I don't believe they have done it, I do, they must have if they are releasing it as the main OS they are pushing for the Pocket AND because they told me even recently that they would be finishing it soonish for the WIN. I just don't know , despite them reassuring us, that they will release it for the WIN. Perhaps I just don't want to get my hopes up.

Last edited:
The non-replacable battery bothers me, but I don't know why really,
Because of this:
I've not actually changed a battery in anything recently (though I probably should on my Pandora, considering it's bulging a bit).
A non-replaceable battery means, the device will have an unknown expiry date for sure - not necessarily when the battery is dead, but when it has degraded enough to make its run-time no longer useful for you or when it starts to pose a safety risk.

Reactions: rSl
Most "non-replaceable" batteries are totally replaceable, it just requires a knife to cut some glue usually. And obviously it voids the warranty.

Most "non-replaceable" batteries are totally replaceable, it just requires a knife to cut some glue usually. And obviously it voids the warranty.
And where would you get your non-standardized replacement battery if not from the device manufacturer who ships replacement batteries for his devices?
It's not like you could just solder new 18650 cells into your GPD pocket.

And where would you get your non-standardized replacement battery if not from the device manufacturer who ships replacement batteries for his devices?
It's not like you could just solder new 18650 cells into your GPD pocket.
In some states in the US manufacturers are required to sell replacement parts including replacement non replaceable batteries if they want to sell in that state.

It's glued on under the keyboard. They prob want you to buy another GPD WIN or whatever they rollout to replace it in less than a year and a half.

Back