Gp32X Is Not Good Enough

I'm going. I've been on these boards for many years now, but recently this place has gone down the shithole. Biased and trolling admins like Nova (and a couple of others) are really hurting the place.

I will still be around, and I will most likely post every now and again, but now my first stop will be the new forums. Unless they die ofcourse ;)

I hope to see many of you there :)

sebt3 said:
While I do share your sadness, I just hope nobody does the jump.... Well I won't.
There is no alternative. I took some time to think it through and at the end every battle between the boards will result in more damage. Personally I'm done with the project and so I think I can judge logically. If Craig starts to act like a despote over there just kick his ass around his own boards :p Nothing better than some old-school group dynamics ;) I won't go, but I won't stay here either so to say. I'm now just an independent guy hanging around in Off Topic and Other Consoles on GP32X.

Last edited by a moderator:
kikeminchas said:
In the new forum there is not only Support but also development sub-forums. This kinda contradicts what ED said some posts above in this topic and also confirms notaz's worries. As a user I'm worried too.

Well, I wanted to keep it mainly as support board, but craig wants more... I will support both, of course.
We'll see where the route goes.

One thing is sure: The atmosphere here has been a problem lately - might be because there are so many different users.
The more different users there are, the more trouble will be there, as more different opinions will be there.
There are users who hate mali or nova as mods, and there are users who want them as mods. Hard situation.

Having two boards might help here to relax the situation - if there's someone you don't like, go to the other board and that's it. As long as there is only one board, you haven't got that option.

So while no one can predict what will happen, I'm pretty sure it will work out.
Either the new boards won't have many users and will change into an official Support board (as I would like it to be).
Or the new boards will be a happy place, too, together with these boards.
I'm sure there are users who would love to ONLY have a Pandora section. And I'm sure there are users who would love to have both. And I'm sure there are users who would like to get rid of the Pandora section here. We've got all kinds of different users, it's very very hard to please them.

I guess the best we can do is see how it goes. Time will tell what will happen, it's nothing you can predict with so many users involved.
I don't think gp32x.de will die, as this still is the main GPH ressource, so no worries here.

Who knows, maybe in the end, both boards will turn into good, readable ressources?

We'll see. But you can be sure I won't drop support for these boards - or for the other ones.
I'll try to do what I can do.

Maybe, if all goes well, we can share the news section of both boards, so that new announcements will be on both boards...?

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
One thing is sure: The atmosphere here has been a problem lately - might be because there are so many different users.
The more different users there are, the more trouble will be there, as more different opinions will be there.
There are users who hate mali or nova as mods, and there are users who want them as mods. Hard situation.

Haha, I love your dynamic argumentation :D
I offered my hat, but in fact Craig has got different reasons for opening another board. It's nice that you found some scapegoats, though. Makes it easier, don't you think? ;)

Actually what always fascinated me on these boards was the cultural richness and the lively discussion going on. I see that it's better for a business to have sterile boards though, no problem with that and I wish you good luck with iPhone fanboys over there :p

You kid yourself if you think you can manage to keep two different Pandora boards alive. It would be best to make tabula rasa now. Follow your boss.
Don't think I'm trolling you, these are just some honest words from a once enthusiastic community member who still wants to see the project to succeed.

EvilDragon said:
You cannot decide to split a community just based on personal dislikes. In the end there is much more at stake. Please make sure you don't piss developers. As a homebrew community you depend on them... As a small homebrew community you heavily depend on a very short and selected group of developers

EvilDragon said:
Having two boards might help here to relax the situation - if there's someone you don't like, go to the other board and that's it. As long as there is only one board, you haven't got that option.
Are we here because we all like open handhelds or has this become suddenly some sort of teenager-ish facebook playground? I understand that animosities in between people might pollute part of our life in the forums but the fact that we are not able to cope with them makes me really sad...

EvilDragon said:
So while no one can predict what will happen, I'm pretty sure it will work out.
I'm not..

EvilDragon said:
I'm sure there are users who would love to ONLY have a Pandora section. And I'm sure there are users who would love to have both. And I'm sure there are users who would like to get rid of the Pandora section here. We've got all kinds of different users, it's very very hard to please them.
I cannot see, even if I try very hard, why the existence of a certain sub-forum will disturb certain people. I don't have any product from GPH. Does it disturb me that there are Wiz or Canoo sub-forums? NO! I guess the majority of people thinks like me. You're the administrator ED, purge the place. Agitators will eventually disappear.

EvilDragon said:
Maybe, if all goes well, we can share the news section of both boards, so that new announcements will be on both boards...?
You actually consider the possibility of not doing this?? C'mon ED, how many people are they going to have a Pandora by the end of 2010? Don't you realize you're hurting yourself by doing this? Don't you happen to think that there are actually much more possible buyers of GPH products than of Pandora's? (you should actually know this, you distribute those products) That maybe some of these buyers could turn into the Pandora?

Anyway, it's done.

mali said:
EvilDragon said:

Haha, I love your dynamic argumentation :D
I offered my hat, but in fact Craig has got different reasons for opening another board. It's nice that you found some scapegoats, though. Makes it easier, don't you think? ;)

Actually what always fascinated me on these boards was the cultural richness and the lively discussion going on. I see that it's better for a business to have sterile boards though, no problem with that and I wish you good luck with iPhone fanboys over there :p

You kid yourself if you think you can manage to keep two different Pandora boards alive. It would be best to make tabula rasa now. Follow your boss.
Don't think I'm trolling you, these are just some honest words from a once enthusiastic community member who still wants to see the project to succeed.

This is what I was talking about. Iphone fanboys? Since when? Why the flames???

I see no flames here, just honesty. I'm talking about the iControlPad section over there on the "Official Pandora Forums" ;)
kikeminchas pretty much described in better words what I already said in the MOD section.

Craig said:
The ICP and Pandora share several things, as well as parts they also share the same developers and we also want to encourage porting between the devices.

Being similar in power they go well together and I think they can certainly compliment each other.

I must be fakkin' blind. Either that or I've found the secret to enjoying these boards without becoming overwhelmed by the tribulation. I don't see any flame wars, childish behavior, or horrendous in-fighting. Maybe it's all happening outside the Pandora section or something. I tend to stay on my side of the fence. Sure there are occasional flare-ups but that's going to happen anywhere. Anytime there are groups of people with differing points of view, there is going to be arguments. It is a far sight better here than on many other forums.

I admit I've opened the gate and shared a few words with those on the other side. And on one occasion found myself being attacked for a comment that I made purely in jest, but I shrugged it off and went on about my way. I think some people mistake me for being a Pandora fanboi when I respect all the platforms talked about here. This is the golden age people. Most of the time, I see people with investments in different platforms working together to solve problems and port software between all of them. Why are we being so negative around here all of a sudden. I see the SAME people who have the SAME differing opinions butt heads repeatedly. I tend to ignore those people.

I like the loose moderation style of these boards. In the long time I've always felt that the mods do a good job of managing the chaos. This is a community of free thinkers so it's understandable that there is a fair amount of off-topic chatter in different topics. I agree the in-jokes can be a bit much, but that's the nature of a club. People identify themselves with their subculture. It's perfectly human. I ignore it mostly, partake occasionally, and laugh sometimes. Could the mods do a slightly better job of wrangling up the habitual provokers and tell them to "take it outside" - sure. Moderating boards as active as these is very VERY hard work, and I applaud them for the effort!

Concerning Craigix's new forum - I will register there and do what I've always done. Answer questions, be helpful, and try to contribute to the community the same way that I always have. Having an official support forum is necessary from the business standpoint, but I know deep down that board.openpandora.org will languish in stagnation much the same way that openhandhelds.org did. People don't like to change.

Credit where it's due - OP Ltd gets a volunteer staff of customer support technicians, software/hardware engineers, and testers who are more than happy to troubleshoot their device for them. I can't imagine how much it would've cost them without the communities help.

I'm gonna go with what most people have said on this - most developers don't care about where forums are and aren't going to choose what they work on based on the current flame wars or lack thereof. I wouldn't really get up in arms over it.

I totally agree with mindlord. Couldn't see any flaming, but some nice, hot discussions.

Actually, I always hoped to see a dedicated pandora board, with it's own off-topic part and such. Just because it will be much easier to group a nice community around one device then around a couple of them. The community was partly split from when the pandora was "launched", now hopefully two communities can live friendly and see how nice they can coexist and help each other.

kikeminchas said:
EvilDragon said:
You cannot decide to split a community just based on personal dislikes. In the end there is much more at stake. Please make sure you don't piss developers. As a homebrew community you depend on them... As a small homebrew community you heavily depend on a very short and selected group of developers

Well, I'm not the one who wanted to split. Craig wanted new boards, and he gets them, there's nothing I can do to prevent him from doing that.
So my choice is to support both, none or only one. Everything except for both would probably lead to problems.
I'm only trying to find the best way to go the way things are.

EvilDragon said:
Are we here because we all like open handhelds or has this become suddenly some sort of teenager-ish facebook playground? I understand that animosities in between people might pollute part of our life in the forums but the fact that we are not able to cope with them makes me really sad...

Don't tell that to me - I have no problems with different open handhelds. I support the Caanoo the same way I support the Pandora.

I'd love to have all handhelds and users coexist happily together and I'd love it if they share projects like the Zelda Homebrew or other things.
And I'll work towards that goal here on the boards, you can be sure of that.

But I am not the one who can prevent the new boards from happening. I can only try to make the best out of it and support the community whereever I can.

EvilDragon said:
I cannot see, even if I try very hard, why the existence of a certain sub-forum will disturb certain people. I don't have any product from GPH. Does it disturb me that there are Wiz or Canoo sub-forums? NO! I guess the majority of people thinks like me. You're the administrator ED, purge the place. Agitators will eventually disappear.

I have admin status, but only in case something is wrong with the boards so I can fix it.
Basically, I'm just a moderator like anyone else. So I guess the whole team needs to become more strict, and we're already discussing about that.

We need to prevent flamewars before they happen.

EvilDragon said:
You actually consider the possibility of not doing this?? C'mon ED, how many people are they going to have a Pandora by the end of 2010? Don't you realize you're hurting yourself by doing this? Don't you happen to think that there are actually much more possible buyers of GPH products than of Pandora's? (you should actually know this, you distribute those products) That maybe some of these buyers could turn into the Pandora?

Anyway, it's done.

Give me a better suggestion of what I can do.
It's not my decision the new boards exist, I can only work on making the best out of it for both boards.

Last edited:
conso said:
I totally agree with mindlord. Couldn't see any flaming, but some nice, hot discussions.

Well, but it happens
It started with a sourcecode request, than craig said that the code HAS to be released (according to GPL) and then he got attacked by some users - and sadly reacted to that which lead into a flamewar.
It's both Craig's and the attackers fault. You shouldn't attack, but you also shouldn't react.
This is stuff we need to prevent somehow.

It also happened on other threads like the PCSX4ALL compatibility thread, however, all the flames have been hidden by the team, so you can't see it.

Actually, I always hoped to see a dedicated pandora board, with it's own off-topic part and such. Just because it will be much easier to group a nice community around one device then around a couple of them. The community was partly split from when the pandora was "launched", now hopefully two communities can live friendly and see how nice they can coexist and help each other.

Yes, as said, maybe it IS the correct decision.
Maybe not. I guess time will tell. The users will be where they feel home.

Last edited:
This board and community was good enough when OP team needed suckers to pay upfront for a two year wait, OP don't need us any more it seems, on to bigger and better things. I feel so used up.

Also a convenient way to hide the massive amount of defect posts to potential new customers on the new forums, anything critical or negative can also be censored as "trolling".

I see certain people feel they are untouchables and can say what they like and offend whoever they like but cant take the slightest criticism or reprimand and poor ED has to clean up with damage control and even more work gets put on his back. Time to quit being such a nice guy ED, you cant please everyone.

mali said:
I see no flames here, just honesty. I'm talking about the iControlPad section over there on the "Official Pandora Forums" ;)
kikeminchas pretty much described in better words what I already said in the MOD section.

Craig said:
The ICP and Pandora share several things, as well as parts they also share the same developers and we also want to encourage porting between the devices.

Being similar in power they go well together and I think they can certainly compliment each other.
I don't know what part of the internet your from, but in the part of the internet I reside calling someone a fanboy is generally considered an insult.
As for the ICP part, how does having an interest in a device designed for use with many different makes of phone make you an Iphone fanboy? Aren't we all sticking it to Steve jobs?? It's no different from the Wiz/Caanoo/Pandora flame wars that I have witnessed on these boards. The mods here need to grow up.

^ Oh come on, I didn't call anyone in particular a fanboy, but I think they will pop up there. It's none of my business anyway.

EvilDragon said:

There is only this one as far as I know. And I struggle to see why he has such a problem with me but there we are.

Exophase said:
I'm gonna go with what most people have said on this - most developers don't care about where forums are and aren't going to choose what they work on based on the current flame wars or lack thereof. I wouldn't really get up in arms over it.
I would still prefer everything in one place, having 2 pandora dev forums is just waste of time for someone like me who wants to keep track of those things. At least dev section should have not been split.

Looks like route DjWillis took is best, simply leave the boards and not bother with this.

I guess I'm ambivalent toward the whole thing.

I never go outside of the Pandora or Off-topic boards, so having the other boards doesn't affect me one way or the other. The main draw for me is the membership I guess. And I have no problem with the other devices. I would probably get one of those if I weren't getting a Pandora. My response to the argument that the Pandora forum seems different, filled with in-jokes and such is because there is a gathering of people who don't have a lot to talk about. Once more Pandoras (Pandorii? Red Baron?) ship, there will be more concrete discussion.

It seems like having official forums might not be a bad idea. A lot of other organizations have them. But they also have more followers.

I'll probably end up lurking there until I see a discussion that I need to join. Then maybe I'll register. Or maybe I'll find some other forum to join. Who knows?

Back