Gp32 Ii

Looks... interesting...

I hope it will compatible with old gp32 homebrew software...
OSnes9x on that screen on fullspeed... *dreaming*

I'm happy as long as:

Its open source
backwards compatible
ergonomic like gp32_console.
has specs that are enough of an improvement to be worth it
has same digital stick
has more buttons (normal buttons, not wierd stuff)
has higher res, with hardware scaleing for backwards compatibility. I would like it if its also the same aspect ratio (4:3).

I think they should use a gp32 style ARM9 for the Graphics processor and for backwards compatibility. The hardware scaling for the backwards compatibility could be done with the other cpu, while the ARM9 does the gp32 work.

And when its not in backwards compatibility mode, the other cpu is used for the main stuff, and the ARM9 is the Graphics proccessor, which does the 3d and other things (of course, it would all depend on what the programmer wants). They might need to make it a slightly faster one though, if necessary.

Hey, its what Nintendo did. DS uses a GBA style ARM7 for Graphics proccesing and GBA backwards compatibilty.

Good ideas?

So they want to call the next GP GP Extreme...?
That reminds me of a webpage I've heard once...... ;)

Prophet posted on Feb 4 2005 at 02:38 AM said:
Just PLEASE don't go the Tapwave route with the artsy designer buttons... And no analog. Please. Just a NGPC style thumbstick, 4 - 6 normal face buttons & shoulders.

I just hope the next GP system is:

1) Backwards compatible (at least 90% or so)

2) 400Mhz minimum

3) 64MB RAM minimum

I can think of other things I'd like, but those 3 would be the most important to me.

Amen to all that. But having both a d-pad and analogue one would be good. And some extra "options" buttons would be nice too. And the same concept - ODK, lightweight OS with direct access to hw and no signing! Hardware stretching would rock very much.

Im surprised no one has commented on the name! A tribute to this website perhaps???

Last edited by a moderator:
shattenjäger posted on Feb 3 2005 at 09:59 PM said:
The main question in my mind is whether this is guna be backwards compatible or not. May be a stupid question but alot of ppl would be gutted if all the progress was kinda lost. I mean with new hardware comes new software advantages but hopefully the community wnt break in two, one for the future and one the past.
At least we know that the GP32 scene will still live on as long as there are ppl that enjoy coding 4 it tho.

That's my main concern also. I mean, I'd consider buying a non-backwards compatable GPX ( ;) ) but I'd snap up a unit straight away if it could still play all my old emulators and games. This is actually one of the most important things about bringing out sucessors to consoles, as Sony and Microsoft have discovered recently with the PS2 and GBA. Gamepark would be stupid not to follow suit.

Interesting...

Anyway, I was wondering, are there any pics out there of the original GP32 prototype? The sorts of similarly enigmatic renders etc that we were all wondering about before we had GP32s? That might show how off the wall this is likely to be in comparison to the real thing. (And I'm curious)

®

I'm happy that GP are looking to the future and not just shafting us with dodgy screens and few games ;)

I hope it has enough power* to emulate a GP32.
Backwards compatibility? Pah!

I hope it's an open system so that all our fave proggies can be ported.
Backwards compatibility? Pah!

I like the nice big screen. How about a clock for PDA style functions?

*power = Ram + storage + CPU!

gp29vw.jpg

I think they should add an analog stick and four buttons and SMC and SD compatable. :p

Huxley posted on Feb 4 2005 at 11:00 PM said:
... as Sony and Microsoft have discovered recently with the PS2 and GBA.

I assume you mean Nintendo?

Antiriad posted on Feb 4 2005 at 11:49 AM said:
Heres what Id do to that prototype - a analog pad, 4 round buttons and two extra smaller ones.
gp2antiriad.jpg

yeah!!! Antiriad your "prototype" rules :)

Shirohagen posted on Feb 4 2005 at 05:01 AM said:
Interesting...

Anyway, I was wondering, are there any pics out there of the original GP32 prototype? The sorts of similarly enigmatic renders etc that we were all wondering about before we had GP32s? That might show how off the wall this is likely to be in comparison to the real thing. (And I'm curious)

®
gp11.jpg

earlyproto.jpg

Here are the pictures of all the different GP32s gamepark made. I believe the SP type one came first. Also, there are some more pictures at the bottom of this site.

Hate to say this, and not trying to start a flame war, but compared to the PSP it looks pretty awful even if it does have the similar nice microswitched joystick as the GP32.

The specs would have to really beat the PSP, or it be priced substantially less, before I'd consider buying one.

The 4 way "rocker" for the buttons is a nightmare, they need to keep a similar design to the GP32 for the control stick/d-pad, and the spacing looks nightmare-ish... Plus are those L and R buttons on the back? :blink:

I love the gp32, but gamepark just can't design things well without takeing a few hints from other companies.... (Look at the previous versions of the good ol gp32 for example)

I like the caseing, buuut they really need to make it more ergonomic.

I like the prototype that was posted on the forum here better :)

Ah well, i'm also just glad they're makeing another.

all this talk about backwards compatibility and stuff is for the birds. Everybody here is only thinking about the emulation, where as gamepark will not be. To understand fully what this is about you have to think commercially. I don't believe Gamepark intended the GP32 to be as popular as an emulation machine as it was, it sorta just came together so they let it go instead of making better commercial games.

I believe Gamepark will try to fix it's commercial mistakes with this console. They are not going to make this system specifically designed to run only emulators.

KickinWing posted on Feb 4 2005 at 02:20 PM said:
all this talk about backwards compatibility and stuff is for the birds. Everybody here is only thinking about the emulation, where as gamepark will not be. To understand fully what this is about you have to think commercially. I don't believe Gamepark intended the GP32 to be as popular as an emulation machine as it was, it sorta just came together so they let it go instead of making better commercial games.

I believe Gamepark will try to fix it's commercial mistakes with this console. They are not going to make this system specifically designed to run only emulators.

The first GP32's open-sourceness (for lack of a better word) was an accident on GamePark's part; the GP32 II will be made for homebrew from the beginning. That's what they said, although I can't remember where.

Back