Gp32 Ii

From what was said before Gamepark was going to release the current BLU to more countries in 2005. This means that this thing won't be out for awhile, at LEAST a year, and is basically just a concept.

The screen looks good BUT it doesn't look like it will be easy to replace the plastic with glass so that means scratches.

The screen will likely be some higher resolution like 320 x 480 which is actually BAD for emulation, 320 x 240 was perfect for that. This means everything will need to be scaled up which looks like pixely shit. I would bet you would need to use smoothing but then everything will look blurry, BAH!

It will likely have some custom built-in battery which will mean that when it eventually dies (all of them eventually do) you will have to depend on Gamepark to get a new battery, that scares me.

The controls look hard to use as they are recessed into the unit. My experience with clamshell designs like this are that they are awkward. I hate the ergonomics of the DS, I have one and it is uncomfortable and top heavy and brick like, meh.

I suppose we will see someday but I am not real exited for this yet.

Knuckles500 posted on Feb 3 2005 at 07:17 PM said:
GPJosh posted on Feb 3 2005 at 11:32 PM said:
Yes at I have to agree that the screen looks very nice. However I would like to see a feature that prototype gp32's had... Internet Browsing from a mobile phone. I created a quick web site with the movie here.

The original design looks a lot better in my opinion. It looks like it had all the features it was supposed to have working, but then they just stopped developing it.

God, I wish I had that...even if it does have less FPS, it would be great to use it for development use.
I believe the creater of GP32news actually has one, but in his interview with TJ Hooka he he couldn't get his to go on the internet and “thank God, the actual GP32 is far better!”. If your curious though the interview is here.

ProtoGP1.jpg

Edit: (I can remove the image if it is too big) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The pic looks like a render.

I hope they dont plan on keeping the buttons attached to each other, it will be impossible to play most games like that.

If I were designing it I would replace the d-pad with an analog pad and add a mini keyboard in that empty space at the bottom.

I really like the folding design. I can see myself using it as an mp3 player and keeping it in my pocket, then using the L and R buttons to change tracks. :D

Delsabre posted on Feb 4 2005 at 12:44 AM said:
The pic looks like a render.

I hope they dont plan on keeping the buttons attached to each other, it will be impossible to play most games like that.

If I were designing it I would replace the d-pad with an analog pad and add a mini keyboard in that empty space at the bottom.

I really like the folding design. I can see myself using it as an mp3 player and keeping it in my pocket, then using the L and R buttons to change tracks.  :D

NO analog stick. They absolutely SUCK for emulators.

I don't know, I think the whole deal is exciting. The "connected" buttons are actually a slick design, and I never really minded the joystick except for removing it. Perhaps somebody could make a replacement joystick eventually that is an actual "D-Pad." I really love the screen.

However to a previous comment, I really don't think scaling will ever be an issue. Look at all the emulators out there that had multiple scaling? The fgb32 had a great scaling that let you choose multiple options. I think that if new emulators were coded for it they would support "wide screen" and "original screen scaling." The thing that I would like to see the most is the actual system in action. People were talking about "specs" and "stats" but where did all this come from?

Even though it might be two years before we see this, I think the prospect is exciting. Especially all this speculation, which comes with every new console.

Perhaps when this comes out somebody might finally make a good Windows style "wind-ups" where this can act like a functional PDA.

If anyone wants, by the way, PM me I have instructions how you can use the current wind-ups to make it more like windows, with a fake start button that actually brings up the file manager.

well, I can't wait for it...
resolution dosnt matter
the bigger it is, the better the movies will look
also, remember, the gp32 has 320x240, and not many emulators take the whole screen, they center the real size resolution in the screen

AND, I hope like none other, that they do go with a 2.5 inch HDD
then I could put an 80 gig in and have my dream rig
I would not buy a PSP or a DS if this came out with a 2.5 inch HDD

~Octavious

I think this image have been made by the same guy who designed the SP-like GP32-2, the style is very similar.

Anyway, can someone just ask gamepark about this image? Maybe they can offer us a little clue...

And... please, GPU, GPU, GPU, GPUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :lol:

O, fucking eh
I forgot about that
damn it, if it dont have a GPU, I wouldnt buy it untill WAYYYYYY WAYY later
thats the only short-coming besides the SMC card of the current GP32

~Octavious

Well, I think it looks real great! .... But the controls look like they need a lot of work. I'd like it if they had like 6-8 buttons instead of the one big meshed together button. Four shoulder buttons would be real sweet but that might make the handheld real fat! Oh I can dream :D

It's good to know GP is at least really working on their next system.

While I dislike the design in some ways, I also realize the final version could be massively different, so I won't even bother to criticize much. Just PLEASE don't go the Tapwave route with the artsy designer buttons... And no analog. Please. Just a NGPC style thumbstick, 4 - 6 normal face buttons & shoulders.

I just hope the next GP system is:

1) Backwards compatible (at least 90% or so)

2) 400Mhz minimum

3) 64MB RAM minimum

I can think of other things I'd like, but those 3 would be the most important to me.

Deep Thought posted on Feb 4 2005 at 01:19 AM said:
craigix posted on Feb 3 2005 at 03:25 PM said:
Gamepark told me it would be upgradable - it does not look very much like I imagined, unless it all comes to pieces in a cunning way so you can add ram, hdd etc.

-Craig

www.gbax.com
There's something about that idea that frightens me.

yeah. not least because gamepark are full of shit. 'flash player! internet browsing!' years after the original GP32 was released...

I hope the gamepark II is :- 100% compatible, even if just using a 'compatibility mode',

has a hell of a lot more buttons than that pic has...

has some type of hardware-assisted 3d.

and given gamepark's philosophy so far, i'd be disappointed if it didn't have at least a 400mhz processor...

and as for the analogue joystich thing... I hope it *does* have an analogue joystick... any next-gen handheld that doesn't have analogue control will just be a joke. ...the thing is, though... if gamepark fucks up the controls on an ananlogue joystick the same way they did with the digital joystick last time, it's gonna be a hell of a lot harder to fix...

re: the pic - the screen looks nice, the clamshell design looks nice, but they need more buttons and it definitely needs to be properly backwards-compatible.

my 2p.

edit: and to those who say 'i hope it has a built-in harddrive'... dream on! :rolleyes:

It will be interesting but don't get your hopes up just yet. This thing is obviously just a computer concept rendering, nothing more. It will likely be a couple of years before anything real comes out of it.

Also notice where they placed the speakers on this? Right where your fingers will be, so you would be covering up the speakers when you play it. So this is obviously just some wacky idea and nothing close to final.

Forget specs, for it to be successful it must have two things:

1) It must allow completely open developement, no digital signing BS.

2) Backwards compatibility. Without that it may never get off the ground.

These two things are important because as we know it won't stand a chance against Sony and Nintendo in the commercial game market, they are just too small. And an analog stick would be a disaster. We all know that this system will be dead in the mainstream and will be a emu/homebrew system (if they allow it). Analog sticks *SUCK* for emulation, I had a Zodiac and SOLD IT because of that stick(among other things), it is CRAP I tell you CRAP CRAP CRAP, NO ANALOG!

DaveC posted on Feb 3 2005 at 10:01 PM said:
Also notice where they placed the speakers on this? Right where your fingers will be, so you would be covering up the speakers when you play it. So this is obviously just some wacky idea and nothing close to final.

Notice where the speakers are on the current gp32? I don't think it will be a problem. gp32_console

i really really like the design of that thing, it's got a sort of seventies edge to it and i really like it... a lot

toxibunny posted on Feb 4 2005 at 02:59 AM said:
and as for the analogue joystich thing... I hope it *does* have an analogue joystick... any next-gen handheld that doesn't have analogue control will just be a joke.

I own a Zodiac. I helped evangelize the Zodiac. Listen to me...

Analog (alone) is crap for a portable, UNLESS it's from a major mainstream company that will actually have support from major mainstream software houses.

Gamepark systems will NEVER be mainstream. You will NEVER see big companies making big fancy 3D spectacles on it. Analog would be a total waste and it would destroy the system's value for emulation.

Not to mention the serious issues analog has had on the Zodiac, and the reports I've already seen of the PSP's analog being flimsy.

Digital will do just fine.

I love that prototype :) but as we said here before, it's only an early prototype & GP used to change many times their designs before choose the final one :p so we can just wait & see ;p My real interest is waiting for the specs of this new little GP :) Please make it really strong : I want perfect Amiga emulation dead ;op
& maybe the most easy upgrade possible would be add extra memory like in the laptop .... waiting forward for more news :)

Back