Gp32 Ii

I wish people would stfu (pardon my rudeness) about backwards compatibility. I'd be amazed if GamePark gave a toss about it, and as a developer I don't give a toss about it either.

Unless it was via an emulator, which I doubt we would see especially as even the windows GP32 emulator isn't good enough to run anything properly at the right speed, let alone support some of the features we use when hitting the hardware directly, let alone sound.

So forget about backwards compatibility, it would only hold the console hardware back anyway.

The PSP will run software from the memory sticks, so there will be a strong homebrew scene. It will have a better, more detailed SDK, rather than a bare minimum offering that GamePark offered for the GP32.

So GP would really have to outclass the PSP to get me to buy one.

RobertJ posted on Feb 5 2005 at 11:41 AM said:
So forget about backwards compatibility, it would only hold the console hardware back anyway.

Did the PS2's backwards compatability hold it back? No. And what about the GBA? DS? No, no, NO! I don't think it's too much to ask. For some of us it is actually an important feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its open source, then I dont think it HAS to be backwards compatable
we can just port more powerful programs than what we have now, and QUAKE 3 cause its going open source soon! WOOT! portable Quake 3 is all I would want, hell, Quake 2 would be good enough for me

~Octavious

Goity posted on Feb 5 2005 at 11:51 AM said:
one thing vital that wouldn't add to the price: an internal clock.
good idea and a little screen on the top like clamshell mobile phones so you could see the time/mp3 currently playing/Filename of game currently playing/space available on smc

Nova posted on Feb 5 2005 at 05:51 PM said:
Goity posted on Feb 5 2005 at 11:51 AM said:
one thing vital that wouldn't add to the price: an internal clock.
good idea and a little screen on the top like clamshell mobile phones so you could see the time/mp3 currently playing/Filename of game currently playing/space available on smc

Yeah!, And the current inside temperature, Current outside temperature, Current time in 120 different cities, Current shoe size, Colour of my current underpants, Let me know if i`m going a bit too far here. :p

Trooper

Huxley posted on Feb 5 2005 at 04:39 PM said:
Did the PS2's backwards compatability hold it back? No. And what about the GBA? DS? No, no, NO! I don't think it's too much to ask. For some of us it is actually an important feature.

I think you'll actually find that it was holding it back until they decided to scrap backwards compatability, built a whole new machine, and then threw a miniaturised version of the PSX internals in there also for anyone that wanted to run the older software.

So it didn't really have "backwards compatability", but the ability to detect and run two completely different chipsets.

GBA is the same thing, ARM processor, but with a Z80 in there also to run the older games. Detect on startup and switch between chipsets.

DS isn't compatible with GB titles, so the backwards compatability there doesn't exist. It'll only go as far back as GBA, which strangely enough uses the same processor as the DS, with a switch for the chipset (Again...).

trooper posted on Feb 5 2005 at 06:36 PM said:
Yeah!, And the current inside temperature, Current outside temperature, Current time in 120 different cities, Current shoe size, Colour of my current underpants, Let me know if i`m going a bit too far here. :p
Trooper

What happens if you don't wear underpants?

Squidge posted on Feb 5 2005 at 08:13 PM said:
I think you'll actually find that it was holding it back until they decided to scrap backwards compatability, built a whole new machine, and then threw a miniaturised version of the PSX internals in there also for anyone that wanted to run the older software.

...thus making it backwards compatable.

DS isn't compatible with GB titles, so the backwards compatability there doesn't exist. It'll only go as far back as GBA

I'd say GBA compatabilty makes it backwards compatable. It doesn't matter how Gamepark achieve it, as long as the facility to run GP32 software is there. I honestly doubt I'd buy one unless it was backwards compatable.

Huxley posted on Feb 5 2005 at 08:29 PM said:
I honestly doubt I'd buy one unless it was backwards compatable.
What makes you think the new "GPX" won't just get similar but more advanced software and ports of old software anyway?

But there'll never be ports of *everything* on GP32. No Nazcadreams, or Tanda. Unless the authors decide to port them. And in many cases, the authors no longer code. Of course, new machine might inspire them to port their old stuff for it, but I'd imagine they'd be more likely to code new stuff.

Without backwards compatibility, the GPX (or whatever it'll be called) will be pretty useless until a good scene for it is worked up. With backwards compatibility, it can just tag on to the gp32's scene.

I reckon we shud decide on all the crap we want in it (realistically) and then someone (I could) mock it up in 3D and we can all see why it shud be left to proffessionals

ok yeah you guys need to stop about backwards compatibility. you all have gp32's so you'd still be able to run all the same stuff. I mean sure you don't have to carry around two handhelds. And if you're worrying about the programmers stopping their current games or even worse stop programming *gasp*. Yeah seriously though i doubt they will stop. sure we may loose a few programmers here and there but think about it. The "new" GP will maybe be better/easier for the programmers.

Squidge posted on Feb 5 2005 at 08:16 PM said:
trooper posted on Feb 5 2005 at 06:36 PM said:
Trooper

What happens if you don't wear underpants?
It says "Commando" every 5 minutes in a retro robotic voice (think Steven Hawkins) so everyone on the train looks at you. :D

mattmagoo posted on Feb 5 2005 at 01:05 PM said:
I reckon we shud decide on all the crap we want in it (realistically) and then someone (I could) mock it up in 3D and we can all see why it shud be left to proffessionals

We don't need anyone to "mock it up in 3d", we all know how big it would be...
Remington_Univac1_System_s1.jpg

This is a
RemingtonRand_Logo.gif
UNIVAC 1, for illustration purposes.

Attachments

• Remington_Univac1_System_s1.jpg
    Remington_Univac1_System_s1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 151
  • RemingtonRand_Logo.gif
    RemingtonRand_Logo.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 134
Well, Realistically it`s got to have a cd-rom drive, As cd`s are the de-facto standard in portable media.

Realistically was mentioned and not practicality. :p

Trooper

We don't need backwards compatability, the GP32 2 will be so powerful, one of the first emulators will be a GP32 one :)

Back