Gp32 Ii

RobertJ posted on Feb 4 2005 at 01:10 PM said:
The specs would have to really beat the PSP, or it be priced substantially less, before I'd consider buying one.

which is what i was trying to say

i never did see the prototype that was posted here before this one , could anyone post it or a link to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
The specs would have to really beat the PSP, or it be priced substantially less, before I'd consider buying one.

...and if people find out a way to load their own software on the PSP via the memory stick then you might get homebrew and emulators start to happen on that. (So long as it doesn't piss Sony off)

®

it shouldn't piss off sony, it would be rare that a homebrewn game would top something that would come commercially for the PSP so they're not going to lose money on software, if anything, it will sell more units, even if people just bought a PSP for emulation and homebrewn, if it happens, if a good commercial game comes out that the person wants, then its all $$$ for Sony either way.

Gamepark dont have a hope creating a commercial closed sourced based system going up against the psp and DS.

If there smart backward compatibility will be one of there main objectives, or atleast making gp32 software easy to port across.

Emulation made the gp32, if it didnt have it there would be a minimal scene at most.

Most of the time Homebrew opens the gate to piracy, so sony will be pissed off, and they might not like the idea of emulators running on their machine.

Blah posted on Feb 4 2005 at 11:13 AM said:
has higher res, with hardware scaleing for backwards compatibility. I would like it if its also the same aspect ratio (4:3).
Afaik the ratio is actually 3:2...

By the way, what about a touchscreen? Great for gaming and also lots of other stuff... :)

naah, i realy dislike touchscreens, i have problems with touching at the screen, i want it to be clear and scratchless. what i would like is a nice little touchpad, like on notebooks.

Vimacs posted on Feb 4 2005 at 05:32 PM said:
naah, i realy dislike touchscreens, i have problems with touching at the screen, i want it to be clear and scratchless. what i would like is a nice little touchpad, like on notebooks.

Yeah I agree about touchscreens, BAH!. I have a DS and I really don't think it really adds much, and it scratches too easy, I hate scratches.

Even a touchpad is not a good solution. It is awkward on the DS to use both the pad and the controller too.

KickinWing posted on Feb 4 2005 at 03:07 PM said:
it shouldn't piss off sony, it would be rare that a homebrewn game would top something that would come commercially for the PSP so they're not going to lose money on software, if anything, it will sell more units, even if people just bought a PSP for emulation and homebrewn, if it happens, if a good commercial game comes out that the person wants, then its all $$$ for Sony either way.

Actually that is wrong. If all you needed was an internet connection and a blank memory stick to get thousands of free games it would DEFINETLY hurt commercial game sales. Many people would buy much less. That is where Sony makes their money. It has already been said that Sony has some encryption thing in it to keep out any unauthorized code, so it will most likely need to be hardware modded for homebrew like the PS2.

I disagree. Homebrew software is very rarely of the same quality of the commercial releases (with the exeption of gamepark ;) )

Therefore although homebrew free software would be available people would need to buy commercial software to experiance the full performance of their console. Homebrew software itself seems to rarely develop into a decent playable game. We have a handfull of great homebrew games on the gp32, and 1000s of small unfinished games or tech demos.

I rarely ever buy a game for my console or PC that isnt top quality, like most gamers. Homebrew software would not effect the sale of good quality games.

Well the thing is you couldn't pirate the comercial games for psp even if you wanted to without taking a lot out from them making the game smaller. I mean the UMD is said to hold 1.8gigs or more and the memory stick duo JUST came out with 1 gig this month. So basically you'd have to find away to compress the game but still make it playable as the real version.

You may be able to get some of the smaller games like puzzle games cause i doubt they they would be very big. but only losing puzzle games to piracy won't hurt sony really it will hurt the developers more.

alot of the games are unlikely to use the full 1.8GB, but hell, sonys hardware has been a bitch in the past. Surly the psp will be even more secure.

Neat,

But, god i hope thats not the final design, its not a good look, too blocky, too much like that nokia phone, but i sure do dig that screen.

Everyone seems to forget Sony's efforts to embrace the homebrew community with the Net Yaroze and that Basic-style language they shipped with Euro PS2s. If people were to make small apps and games for the PSP to run from the memory stick I doubt Sony would do much to intervene. Emulators, on the other hand, are a different matter...

The PSP really will be a competitor to this new GP32, whenever Gamepark get around to releasing it. Which is why backwards compatability is more important than ever - we'll have instant access to all the great GP32 games and apps and more importantly programmers will able to continue their existing projects rather than re-writing a lot of code or even starting from scratch.

Well, I hope Gamepark do the right thing. I'm sure they will. That rendered design looks a little too much like a portable DVD player for my liking, though.

I knew about that interview. That's why I got the idea that it runs at 40FPS. :p

Still though...:p

Read below :huh: .

Renesas Technology has taken many of the technologies used in the Sega Dreamcast game console and combined them into a single core. Officials from Japan's Renesas, which assumed control over the development of the SH processor from ST Microelectronics on Sept. 28, announced the SH3707 embedded processor at the Fall Processor Forum here today. The SH3707 combines both an advanced SuperH core and a PowerVR graphics core, the components found in the original Dreamcast. Specifically, the Dreamcast console contained a 200-MHz Hitachi SH4 with the capability to perform 360 million instructions per second (MIPS) and 1.4 million megaflops, or floating-point operations per second. The Dreamcast also contained an NEC PowerVR2 graphics chip. The new SH3707 uses a faster 540 MIPS/2.1 gigaflops engine, with a 64-bit interface to memory. The core also contains a PowerVR MBX chip, a core that Imagination Technologies has licensed to Intel and Texas Instruments, among others.

Sega's decision to exit the console business in 2001 was met with dismay with gamers, who admired the system's graphics capabilities. However, the console's sales slipped after rival Sony released the PS2 in the U.S., Microsoft announced plans for the Xbox, and Nintendo launched the Gameboy Advance, providing another outlet for gamer dollars. Even today, the console is actively traded on sites like eBay.

Renesas officials said they actually designed the chip with game consoles or other entertainment devices in mind, although they didn't announce any customers for the chip.

"Our goal was to accomplish second-generation (console) performance and first-generation cost," said Mitsuhiro Miyazaki, the project deputy manager for Renesas, based in Tokyo.

According to Miyazaki, the target specification for the platform is to achieve up to 1024 x 768 resolution, 10 million to 13 million vertices or 5 million to 6 million triangles per second, with up to 20 percent translucency per scene – in other words, anticipating a game where some of the polygons would be enhanced with transparency effects. That would place the SH3707 at somewhat over twice the performance of the Dreamcast, which could handle up to 3 million triangles per second. The SH3707 also has the capability of processing MPEG-1, -2, and -4 video and eight-channel PCM/ADCPM audio.

The SH3707 will ship in the first quarter of 2005, Miyazaki said

Wouldyou really want backwards compatibility if Gamepark used this chip in making a new handheld :p

Wow , that chip would Rock and Gp32 II would be a PSP killer then ...because nearly the same raw power + homebrew .

Just thinking ...

If they use this chip + 64 MB of Ram + Arm RH9 (for bakward compatibility with our gp32) + 2 sticks (analog+Digital) + a nice screen + SMC slot (for gp32 stuff) + SD/CF (allowing CF-HD drives) or 2,5 / 1,8 HD (that would be really expensive though) and it would be the perfect handheld thinggie ...

oh, and I would like to have a touchscreen, to use it as a Japanese / Chinese Kanji recognition device, like there are on some Electronic dictionary in Japan on which you draw the character on the screen and the computer looks for it in the database, i would like to implement a version of Edict with that on gp32 ...(to beat that Talking dictionary thinggie from the PSP)

Using GP32 software + Dreamcast software on the go would definitevely rules ...

Imagine Ikaruga or Crazy Taxi ... not to mention Shenmue ...

Qing, just dreaming a bit about this "protoype" handheld

The new system if it's ever released will have to improve a lot more than the hardware to be even remotly a player in ths generation of Portable. GP is bad at buisness and marketing, and even getting help from Virgin wont change the fact that they have almost zero commercial support.

Homebrew is the only thing that gives the GP32 a face so it's likely that will continue but homebrew for PSP is completly unnecessary and will likely never be supported. The net yaroze progam was a singular experiment in allowing homebrew but only on sony's terms they arnt going to build somthing like that into the PSP intentionally without the biggest ugliest chain they can on it.

Please don't make backwards compatibility a hardware issue :(
If the CPU is fast enough it will be emulated.

Let GamePark design the best, cheapest console that is easy to produce and quick to market.

And I say no to a joystick! Give me a d-pad and buttons, but I'll be happy if they're analogue like PS2 :D

Oh! And Sony only included basic with the PS2 because the import taxes would be less. It made it a 'programmable device' not an entertainment system.

Back