Gizmondo Cracked?

The screen is no problem to me, it's just like a GBA screen, but a much higher resolution, so should be really sharp.

As for "start & select", why? The Gizmondo has the same number of buttons as the gp32 - but in a better arrangement in my opinion. You can always use two of the buttons on the right as your "start" and "select" buttons if you must, but I'd much prefer the 4 buttons together, rather than having them spread out like on the gp32.

As for homebrew, well, wince is kinda a standard, so it shouldn't take long to work out how to develope for it, and there's only so many ways you can place your drm into wince, which gives me a few ideas on how to possibly "steer around" the drm...

I wonder if the Carphone warehouse near me sells them. I need to buy one.

For start and select, you ask why... well the answer is simple. it's a matter of familiarity. I'm not used to using A and B or X and Y as start and select. Start and Select are not used as major functions of any game I'm aware of, so they're always away from the rest of the buttons. and even if you can program the buttons along the top, it'll still be awkward because they're in radically different positions from where start and select normally are.

Last edited by a moderator:
It just looks too much like the Leapfrog handheld. Big size, small screen, stupid buttons. WTF, Gizmondo is mono?

the giz is tiny no picture does it any justice than the real thing, the sholder buttons too are perfectly suited for your fingers
http://www.gizmondoforums.com/stuff/01gizm...SC01603_JPG.htm
http://www.gizmondoforums.com/stuff/01gizm...SC01615_JPG.htm

does that pic make the ds look like crap or what?i mean,the giz is no sexy beast either,but hell..

For start and select, you ask why... well the answer is simple. it's a matter of familiarity. I'm not used to using A and B or X and Y as start and select. Start and Select are not used as major functions of any game I'm aware of, so they're always away from the rest of the buttons. and even if you can program the buttons along the top, it'll still be awkward because they're in radically different positions from where start and select normally are.

Boo hoo. It's like using those new XBox controllers. You get used to it.
Didn't you get used to using the Genesis controller around the same time as the SNES controller?

Aren't you happy the Giz has more than 2 face buttons? I sure am. Makes life easier, especially if SNES emulators become available.

thats exactly what i wanted to say :p but you were faster than me xD

i mean how the hell would something minor like the 2 minutes you have to spend to get used to it stop you from buying a jiz :unsure:

i'd be more worried about the pad, it looks pretty shitty.

And Magus, i don't need to be rude, but things change, and you obviously have very little gaming experience if your upset with start and select buttons not being on the Giz, so i'll give you a little run down on the history of systems and their controllers and i'll try to even put them in order from when they were released.

Oddessy2 and the Atari 2600 both had controllers with a joystick and 1 button. To select you had to hit a switch on the console itself.

Intellevision did not have start or select buttons but a circular pad and number keys with action buttons on the side.

Colecovision, same as above only it didn't have the circular pad.

NES, had a d-pad, 2 action buttons and start and select

Atari 7800, had not start or select button, had two side action buttons and joystick

Turbo Grafx 16, controller identical to the NES only start was called RUN, and A and B were I and II

Sege Genesis, had a d-pad, 3 action buttons and a start button, no select.

SNES, had a d-pad, 6 action buttons, first controller to have shoulder buttons on a non joystick gamepad, and had start and select buttons.

Atari Jaguar, had a d-pad, 3 action buttons, key pad, and had pause and option buttons, not start and select.

Playstation, had a d-pad, 8 action buttons, start and select, (probably the one your most used to using i'm guessing)

Saturn, had a d-pad, 8 action buttons, and start button

N64, had a very strange controller, thats all i need to say

Well, i got to get back to work but you get the point. Things change man. And as you can see, there were quite a few systems that didn't have start and select buttons and they were fine, and i'm sure there other systems that I didn't mention that didn't have start and select buttons either.

i'd be more worried about the pad, it looks pretty shitty.

And Magus, i don't need to be rude, but things change, and you obviously have very little gaming experience if your upset with start and select buttons not being on the Giz, so i'll give you a little run down on the history of systems and their controllers and i'll try to even put them in order from when they were released.

Oddessy2 and the Atari 2600 both had controllers with a joystick and 1 button. To select you had to hit a switch on the console itself.

Intellevision did not have start or select buttons but a circular pad and number keys with action buttons on the side.

Colecovision, same as above only it didn't have the circular pad.

NES, had a d-pad, 2 action buttons and start and select

Atari 7800, had not start or select button, had two side action buttons and joystick

Turbo Grafx 16, controller identical to the NES only start was called RUN, and A and B were I and II

Sege Genesis, had a d-pad, 3 action buttons and a start button, no select.

SNES, had a d-pad, 6 action buttons, first controller to have shoulder buttons on a non joystick gamepad, and had start and select buttons.

Atari Jaguar, had a d-pad, 3 action buttons, key pad, and had pause and option buttons, not start and select.

Playstation, had a d-pad, 8 action buttons, start and select, (probably the one your most used to using i'm guessing)

Saturn, had a d-pad, 8 action buttons, and start button

N64, had a very strange controller, thats all i need to say

Well, i got to get back to work but you get the point. Things change man. And as you can see, there were quite a few systems that didn't have start and select buttons and they were fine, and i'm sure there other systems that I didn't mention that didn't have start and select buttons either.

I'm already familiar with the controllers of the Atari 2600, the NES, the Sega Genesis, the SNES, The Playstation, and the N64. And yes I got used to the sega genesis controller at the same time I got used to the SNES one... what's your poing(no, not you, kickinwing, i know you didn't say that, someone else did, but I don't feel like separating it from the rest of this...)? I just don't see why they're putting the 4 button cluster there and no start and select. It would make more sense to use the extra space that's there and throw in some more buttons like start and select, or at least something in similar positions. They can't possibly expect this thing to NOT ever have any homebrew on it, and it would be more convenient for everybody if they just made it convenient for that purpose by having a button configuration that most people would be used to... even if it's not gonna be used for emulation, it would still be better. More buttons = more functions. I'm not saying it's a huge deal, I'm just saying I'd like it better if it was slightly different than the way it is now.

And before anybody says anything, I know the world doesn't revolve around me, but that doesn't change the fact that I have my own opinions and preferences... and excuse me all to hell for stating my opinion. Every time I do that here, someone has to bitch about it or "make fun" of me for "complaining" or "whining" about something, when that's not what I'm doing. what the fuck?

Boo hoo. It's like using those new XBox controllers. You get used to it.
Didn't you get used to using the Genesis controller around the same time as the SNES controller?

Aren't you happy the Giz has more than 2 face buttons? I sure am. Makes life easier, especially if SNES emulators become available.

Like using the new X-box controllers? What new X-box controllers? I don't even have an X-box, but when did they change the controllers other than using the S-controllers instead of the regular ones? The button layout was still the same anyway, so how that's a valid comparison is beyond me...

No, I'm not happy that it has more than 2 face buttons, because all they did is move them from one place to another. They didn't add anything at all, so what the hell was the point? As far as the controls are concerned, it won't be any different than playing SNES on a GP32. SOMETHING will have to be configured to a position where it doesn't belong.

*edit*

nevermind, I see now. they moved start and back from the middle to the left, under the thumbstick and the white and black buttons from above the 4 button cluster to underneath it. it's still pretty much the same, though.

i don't think anybody is making fun of you or complaining. Read your other post about the Revolution controller. You basically refuse to accept anything new because of what your used to and you even mentioned some mad catz retro thing you got because it made a controller more like what you want. Thats all good and dandy, but things do change, there's nothing you can do about it and the people at Tiger are not intending to make the Giz homebrew friendly since its intended to be a commercial machine, and for commercial games, there's really no need for a start and select button.

Also, the Giz is a handheld, not a controller. The Lynx has all kinds of buttons on it, none of which are a start and select button, the GameGear has a start but no select button, the neo geo pocket doesn't have a start and select button, Wonderswan has a start, but no select button.

Of course there is. They might not serve great purposes, but they still serve purposes at all. Start is always used to pause a game. It's just as easy to use a different button for that, but then that's one less function you can have in your game.

I realize that things change, but most of the time, the changes are unnecessary... and they didn't change anything on the gizmondo anyway... it never had a predecessor. But the Gamecube did. It had LOTS of predecessors.

*EDIT*

I'm not saying it has to have 2 buttons labeled start and select... I'm just saying they might as well use up some of the space they have and put in 2 buttons that serve functions similar to what start and select would normally do.

And just to boast a bit, and to show that I do know what i'm talking about, here's a couple of crappy pictures of some of my collection, i'd say about 3/4 of my collection, plus these are a few months old and i've since added quite a few things
pic 1

pic2

oou said it! :D
seriously, i don't see the hype over the Giz. sure it has a powerful processor and huge amount of ram, but where is this homebrew scene???
Well nowhere obviously, this thread is about the very recent cracking of the Gizmondo.

you know...just forget everything i said.

and what's up with all the useless arguing now? ^^

and kickinwing, fix those pics!

edit: n/m, gotta change extension to .jpg, nice collection

not bad, but i ran out of shelving space, so I don't have my Atari XE, Atari Jaguar, PSP box, first and third style genesis, power pad and power glove, stuff. hopefully within the next week or two i'm going to be able to get it in better shape. I wanted to alphabetize my 2600 games, but there's almost 300 there and i figured it would take to long.

Anoybody knows how the commercial games on this thing are? My hope is to see this thing take off with homebrew; it has some nice specs. I also want it to fail miserably so I can buy it for under $200 in a year or so :D
Screen size really dousn't seem that bad to me...

Magus: Ok, Start is always used to pause a game, which is useful, but could be assigned one of the top buttons. Could you define the "select" button however, as I see no use for it - in the places I see it used, you could quite easily use any other button.

On a lighter note:

Anyone have any updated info on whether this whole cracked Giz idea is even true or not? :blink:

one thing i want to clear up, the little button on the top of the gizmondo, with the home symbol on it, is your start button generally

Hmmm, I'm not so sure anymore. It was apparently done by a single person.

He joined Gizmondo's forum on the 15-June 05
Was last seen: 28th June 2005 - 06:09 PM (shortly after the "I've emailed people how I cracked it" post went out)

Has created a total of 3 topics in that time, and has a total of 56 posts overall.

From his posts, I wouldn't say he's much of a coder or a hacker, but that could just be because he doesn't say much about it on the giz forums.

On the plus side though, he doesn't sound like a spotty, spoilt teenager with an attitude problem, which is always good news :)

and secondly, if it's only like the Zodiac's protection, it could probably be broken by a trained chimpanzee... (although of course I've no idea if it is, as I've not looked at it yet)

the buttons along the top edge of the screen can be assigned functions as well. At least I know two of them for sure are assignable, as I saw they performed different functions in different games, but similiar functions to what a proper start and select button would do.

Dave - no ones listening to you anymore dude, you don't like anything. And if you say "well I like the GP32" I swear to god I'll smack you.

Really how does one get to be so negative, anyways?????

I don't know why you always proceed to flame me when I am not the only one saying that they are not impressed by the Giz screen etc. Why don't you flame 50% of the posters here that don't like it? I don't like small screens, you don't like me saying it, tough shit. There can be 100 posts here saying they don't like the screen, buttons, whatever and soon as I say something, all of your venom is directed to me and only me. What the fuck is your problem? Jesus fucking Christ.

Back