Gizmondo Possibility

worldwriter

Grumpy
Website
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Gizmondo uses true Windows CE or a watered down version?

Does it support all the emulators already created for Windows CE?

I'm just curious if the devise might be worth looking into as a handheld that is powerful and already has emulators that run on it?

AFAIK it's a special version of WinCE. I don't think you can simply run existing WinCE software on it without modification.

Also, don't confuse WinCE with PocketPC. They are two different OS's. PocketPC is the one with all the cool emulators like MorphGear etc.

As for Gizmondo... I hate the design, and I hate the small screen (2.8"). And the name itself "Gizmondo" is horrid. Otherwise, it's got some awesome specs and obviously very high potential for emulation. It can easily outdo Gp32 & Zodiac with that 400Mhz CPU and 3D graphics accelerator.

But damn that 2.8" screen. The GBA screen is a bit tiny to me, and this is even a little smaller. :(

Worst part is it's NOT open source. Plus it's very expensive.

I don't think it'll be much of a success, the games will be crap compared to DS and PSP, and I don't expect a GP32 style homebrew scene to develop for it. But we'll see.

I think most of your hardcore homebrew hardware hackers will try to dev for DS and PSP rather than Gizmondo.

The PSP will have a dev Kit. It use a DUO PRO flash card "MEMORY CARD" to run software that allso updates the PSP firmware. Far has i know theres a Genesis emulator.

Im geting a Import next month so i'll have a play about. B)

I don't think the DS is fast enought to emulate the N64.

My understanding is that it is fast enough to run N64 ports though,
and supposedly a bit faster/better looking than a stock N64.

As far as I am concerned, portables are basically introduced as a way to recycle old software (NES--->GBC, SNES--->GBA, N64--->DS).

Sony is doing the same except they skipped a PS1 machine.
I read somewhere that Ken K had planned for a PS1 capable portable around 1998...

is there any chance of an N64 emu on DS? Cause if there is im happy beyond comprehesion.

No, not even close. The N64 had a 90 Mhz Mips and the DS has a 67 Mhz arm. Two different CPUs so no way. Remakes are another story, those could be done but all of the code would need to be rewritten, only the art and models could be used. Also AFAIK the DS lacks all of those rendering features that the N64 had like bi-linear filtering, Mip mapping, Antialiasing.

The DS should be capable of emulating most of the 8-bit systems. No Megadrive though mainly due to the lack of screen resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not confused by windows CE and pocket PC... there are a lot of really good emu's for windows CE as well... I just wonder how likely these will be to be ported over to the giz version of winCE?

the giz while cool seems to be another ngage(wich i also think is farily cool). the psp is probably gonna have the best furtue for homebrew software and emulators. unless sony becomes bitch and locks the cards so only official media can be run off it.

The PSP will have a dev Kit. It use a DUO PRO flash card "MEMORY CARD" to run software that allso updates the PSP firmware. Far has i know theres a Genesis emulator.

Im geting a Import next month so i'll have a play about. B)

Did no one just hear what this guy just said!?!
What?!

If what you said is true, I am very happy.

is there any chance of an N64 emu on DS? Cause if there is im happy beyond comprehesion.

The 64 controller has way more buttons than the ds has and it would just suck to play a 64 game with out atleast Start, A,B, R, Z, and 2 C buttons. I know on some games I need to use all the C Buttons! Someone should come out with a crazy fast handheld with at least all the buttons that are on the PS2 and Xbox (Same Number)... The handheld should be open too so people can homebrew it!
The best handheld would be a Jaguar Controller with a screen :p J/K

The Giz doesn't Impress me at all... Its going to have a hard time with the DS and The PSP. I'm sticking to my gp32 for now and probably a couple more years :)

I'm glad the topic changed. I hate gizmondo.

speed mike
don't forget that ds has a touchscreen
virtual buttons :)

lol n64 emu on a handheld, i think you have to wait some more years to see that, or you buy a ique.
the ds's strongest cpu is a arm with 90(?) mhz, and it have low ram, so forget about it

strange how topics can never stay in their own threads.... i don't remember asking anything about the ds or the psp....

I tried to get back on topic but failed.... hahaha That is how I think and talk though, random and offtopic

I guess you could have virtual buttons, but that would feel weird.

with the touch screen you could put the A and B or 2 obscure c buttons (like view changing ones on the screen) WOW Great Idea! but a N64 emu probably would never float on the DS

I'll just stick to playing N64 and PSX on my Apple IIe Monitor!

I am not confused by windows CE and pocket PC... there are a lot of really good emu's for windows CE as well... I just wonder how likely these will be to be ported over to the giz version of winCE?

I almost garuantee it will be locked down tight. The Giz on the other hand if it has a non preprietary medium than people'll be hacking it left and right just like every other version of windows.

I went to a trade show last weekend and spoke with Gizmondo about their handheld. I used one a little and made a few conclusions:

The Gizmndo is not expandable :(

After asking staff members to show me software running they couldn't "it wasn’t ready" was the reply I got :(

The user interface is unintuitive :(

You cannot buy one ( they said they had sold out of all 5000 machines they had made. I don’t believe this for one minute. Yes they took pre-orders but to make a machine like this a run of more than 5000 would be necessary to keep the price low. :(

The screen was quite difficult to read because of the small fonts :(

The majority of the staff new nothing about the product and those that did were unable to say anything ;(

Toyz 4 Boyz

Back