Gizmondo Cracked?

jaycee900

Gamer Since 1980
Website
everylemming.blogspot.com
Some bloke on a french Gizmondo forum reckons to have 'cracked' the Gizmondo, surely there's someone out there that can recode a previous winCE app to run on the Gizmondo?
Obviously the controls would have to be mapped to the buttons etc but thats the easy part if the main code is there.

WinCE Emulators

Apparently Gizmondo Europe themselves arent too bothered about homebrew on the system now what with falling sales figures, and allowed discussion of it on a linked forum...

Now i agree the screen is not that big, but too anyone who has played it will agree its not that bad (anyone played a gameboy!? few million hands go up) really bright and great clarity, native emulation resolution 320x240, 64mb ram, 400mhz processor, 6 buttons etc

I just think getting a couple of people to get something working on this system would be easier than making one from scratch esp if all the current wince emulators could be made to work on it.

Only proper why it wont work or needs this etc replies not the usual looks like a taco or jizzmondo bollocks

woohooo someone else here who likes the Giz and thinks it'd be a good homebrew system if it gets cracked!

I am not alone!

the screen is way to small, its ugly, the company sucks. i dont see any pointfor that system, psp haves more power, project ninja will also, giz is wasting time.

the screen is way to small, its ugly, the company sucks. i dont see any pointfor that system, psp haves more power, project ninja will also, giz is wasting time.
lol that didnt take long, how old are you?

Screen is way too small, like i said Nintendo has been doing fine with its screens this size...resolution is perfect, ALL emulators on the PSP you have to stretch the screen and its looks crap like that, either that or play with ,massive black sections with the original resolution meaning an actual screen playing size SMALLER than the gizmondo!
I'm no technical person, but since emulation only uses the CPU and RAM not the GPU then the 333mhz CPU of the PSP is how more powerful than the 400mhz CPU of the Gizmondo?
Ram wise PSP has 32mb Giz has 64mb
Yes i agree the company sucks, but how is that important when all your doing is homebrew and emulation on their machine?!
Lastly how exactly is the 'project ninja' more powerful when the specs bar the screen size are exactly the same as the Gizmondo!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the way you guys keep talking about Project Ninja like it's just so definatley gonna happen, and sometime soon at that.

I look at Project Ninja like it's any other homebrew project out there. It's being worked on by a limited number of people. People who aren't making any money working on it (well maybe they will when it's done). They are people with real lives and jobs (well at least I assume they have those?? :D ) who are going to try to put this thing together in their spare time, of which they are probably on very short supply. So, just like any other homebrew, this thing is most likely to take a VERY long time to come to any sort of fruition and has a very small likelihood of actually being finished.

And then even if it does, they have to go about getting people interested in actually devving for the thing.

So please, stop mentioning the Ninja in the same breath as the PSP or even the GP32 or Gizmondo like it's some kind of looming shadow of competition that'll strike any moment. I'm all for the idea and hope they do get around to actually making it happen, but I'm not gonna put off my interest in PSP homebrew or even Gizmondo being cracked while I hold out hope for this thing to materialize.

IF Gizmondo gets cracked it could be a great system and I'll PROBABLY get one if some good stuff get's devved for it.

I love the way you guys keep talking about Project Ninja like it's just so definatley gonna happen, and sometime soon at that.

I look at Project Ninja like it's any other homebrew project out there. It's being worked on by a limited number of people. People who aren't making any money working on it (well maybe they will when it's done). They are people with real lives and jobs (well at least I assume they have those?? :D ) who are going to try to put this thing together in their spare time, of which they are probably on very short supply. So, just like any other homebrew, this thing is most likely to take a VERY long time to come to any sort of fruition and has a very small likelihood of actually being finished.

And then even if it does, they have to go about getting people interested in actually devving for the thing.

So please, stop mentioning the Ninja in the same breath as the PSP or even the GP32 or Gizmondo like it's some kind of looming shadow of competition that'll strike any moment. I'm all for the idea and hope they do get around to actually making it happen, but I'm not gonna put off my interest in PSP homebrew or even Gizmondo being cracked while I hold out hope for this thing to materialize.

IF Gizmondo gets cracked it could be a great system and I'll PROBABLY get one if some good stuff get's devved for it.
Well said, exactly my thoughts, hey I'm not against this thing, but people have always said about making their own handheld and of course nothing comes to fruition so excuse me if i dont get excited about it or lack of should i say...like someone said in another post 'gamepark should wait until their next system processor wise can trounce the PSP' why should that project be any different? I see no point in it, even if it was made this year, by the time it comes out other systems would have pushed emulators to the max, people wont be bothered about it by then, its either out now or its not unless its specs will be greatly advanced....

Yes, I'm with any system that can give me great games.

People who just post "what's the point" baffle me. If it turns out to play great emus and homebrews, wouldn't you want one. Really, Bast is right. The Ninja sounds cool, but it might not happen. And if the Giz progresses, then it could be our new best friend.

Imagine what people would have said about the GP32 and Gamepark a few years ago?

hm yeah the specs of the giz are not bad... but it seems that noone likes the system ;P
and the giz is too expensive.... i dont think there will be so much homebrewn games for this system...

its just that not much ppl can afford this thing.
And i agree that it is ugly, but that wouldnt bother be too much.
A bigger screen would be nice too but you cant say "the giz sucks because of the small screen"
I think when the giz would be a little bit less expensive it could be a nice machine....

(basically it a project ninja with too much features and a small screen :p )

hm yeah the specs of the giz are not bad... but it seems that noone likes the system ;P
and the giz is too expensive.... i dont think there will be so much homebrewn games for this system...

its just that not much ppl can afford this thing.
And i agree that it is ugly, but that wouldnt bother be too much.
A bigger screen would be nice too but you cant say "the giz sucks because of the small screen"
I think when the giz would be a little bit less expensive it could be a nice machine....

(basically it a project ninja with too much features and a small screen :p )
It's not that badly priced at £129 dont worry about the smartadds, their arent any! well not yet anyway, in any case you only have to stick it in flight mode to stop them anyway!

Jaycee, have you got one? If so, tell us more. I've just had a look at the forums, and people seem happy enough. But commercially games just ain't being made that rival psp, or am I wrong...?

Jaycee, have you got one? If so, tell us more. I've just had a look at the forums, and people seem happy enough. But commercially games just ain't being made that rival psp, or am I wrong...?
Yes...its a very well built system and fits in your hands well, and certainly doesnt give your hands cramp ala PSP analogue stick after 1/2 hour! several things lacking though, GPS software is coming though just a bit longer than expected, as is the games, only 8 out at the minute and only 2 worth getting really, yes the crap fathammer games are out, but the best games are yet to come...well its all down to the US launch in August really, it looks as though everything has been put back till then to give a bigger launch as possible.
Though i really hope the rumours of people that have just cracked the system turn out to be true, it will certainly turn a little attention onto the system and will get some support homebrew and emulator wise.

I couldn't be assed reading the whole thread, but Project Ninja would be more powerful because there is no OS overhead. Badda bing.

EDIT: Oh and jaycee900 is a fanboy.

Go, Gizmondo, Go!

I´m willing to pay for any system that may give me good homebrew and emultion.

And since Gizmondo doesn´t seem to do much against homebrew once the system has been cracked, i´m confident that the Giz might become a good homebrew device.
I´ll wait and watch what happens.

Yes, but as bast said, the Ninja is not guaranteed! In fact, I will be surprised if it does happen at all!

I hope it does, but you all seem to think it's a certainty!

I couldn't be assed reading the whole thread, but Project Ninja would be more powerful because there is no OS overhead. Badda bing.

EDIT: Oh and jaycee900 is a fanboy.
lol you made an edit just to put i'm a fanboy oh dear...
btw i own a GP32, PSP, Gizmondo, GBA etc it hardly makes me biased towards one machine, personally i think the PSP is the best machine by far, but its always good in any market to have lots of competition...

If the Gizmondo becomes easy to run homebrew on, then it will certainly be an interesting machine for emulators. The screens not that small, and is the perfect ratio. Also, the £129 asking price means it's no more expensive than a 166Mhz BLU from GBAX, but offers far more.

Back