Gizmondo Cracked?

Well, I've got it, and was pleasantly suprised. The screen fits the unit perfectly - it's a nice size and the unit itself is nice and small. The feel is nice - it doesn't feel plasticky, and seems to be put together quite sturdily. The 1 minute however is correct - it takes absolutely ages to bootup, but from then on, turning it off goes into standby, which means turning it back on again is instant.

Overall, it's pretty neat, but I don't like the fact that it will not let you do anything whatsoever (not even show you the main menu), without a sim card inserted. Still, you get a sim card in the box, and once inserted, you can put it in flight mode, so it disabled the sim card anyway :)

Now, there's some nice exposed pins in the battery compartment which look like flash programming, maybe even jtag (there's enough of them), so I'm wondering now if I could make a lead up and read the flash out of the thing.

EDIT1:

Here's some pics with the Giz's camera. As you can see, it's pretty much on par with a standard mobile phone.

pic1 - outside
pic2 - my poorly gp32

As you can see, it's pretty crap at anything closer than about a few meters.

EDIT2:

Why the hell does the bloody thing keep switching off on me?! Leave it for a few seconds and the display dims, leave it for a minute or so, and it seems to go into standby, and then you have to press the power button to come out of it. Worse thing is, there seems to be no way to cancel this "feature" as there's nothing you can alter.

Good luck champ.

I like the fact that we at GP32x get a crack at this thing.

(-pun intended)

I've snooping around your forum since landing here from gizmondoforums and am wondering that since the Giz is using version 4.x of wince, and the dreamcast used wince also, would fenix be a possible choice for homebrew on the little unit?
Also, your tutorial pages seem to be a minefield for the new C++ coder, so thanks for reinstating my ancient desire to code games again :) (i can still remember 6502 & 68000 heh - gives my age away a bit)
Monty

Back