Ginge

I can't seem to get Ginge to run ANYTHING, games or applications. They either don't show up in the Ginge menu, give me a black screen when I load them, or reset to the main Caanoo menu. I'm running firmware version 1.6, if that helps. I've tried running FreeCiv, Zoltan, Sonic Robo blast 2, the Frets on Fire clone (I'm not sure what it's called), PDF Viewer (both versions), and many others, to no avail.

What I can confirm as working:

Alex's Falldown
Bare Fist Fighter
Bubble Train
Cave Story
Brass Munkey
Buzzy's bad day
UAE4ALL (though I can't seem to play anything. I'm going to assume its an error on my part)
SQDEF
Abuse (actually the game boots but the mouse seems misalighted the stylus' tap)
Fire (game and watch)
Journey

What don't work for me:

KOF bennu (resets to menu)
Garden 2X (black screen)
Micropixel
Monster 2 (boots up to menu, but crashes before you can get ingame)
pdfviewer
Powerslide (works, but unplayable as other cars flip out as soon as you start to race. Had it set on easy though...)
Solitaire for wiz
atris
audiorace (crashes to caanoo)
blobwars(crashes to caanoo)
drillwiz (crashes to caanoo)
Super mario war
opposite lock
wiz_sand
milky tracker (runs but can't use touch screen)

RetroVortex said:
UAE4ALL (though I can't seem to play anything. I'm going to assume its an error on my part)

I can confirm, that UAE4ALL runs in both versions, the GP2x and the Wiz version, the Wiz version is faster, I am not sure, if overclocking works, I have the impressions things run faster, when I set to 750 MHz, but here I can be false. Nonetheless, if I try to run it with 800 MHz it crashes, so I think overclocking works.
The emulator crashes if you try to use the HW scaling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

have installed Ginge and then tried to get UAE4ALL working from the WIZ. Loads up fine with no issues, but when i try to run any ROM (Cannon Fodder, Pinball Dreams, Lemmings) blank screen. I can turn on the bottom lights but the frist is green and stops on number 50. pressing I brings up the joystick, keyboard, mouse toggle so the UAE4ALL is still running. Just stuck on loadsing games. Anyone got any working and if so how :)

Great work on GINGE :)

AJack said:
notaz said:
Jurk said:
I've managed to make the execution of gp2x games (Wind & Water, Cave history... ) transparent, bypassing ginge's gp2x menu... but when I quit a game, it returns to ginge's gp2x menu... its annoying... Can it be bypassed to, maybe removing the gp2xmenu file?
Use this:
Code:
  /mnt/sd/path/to/ginge_prep --nomenu ./someapp.gpe

If someone could write a quick tutorial for us thickos on how to make this kind of shortcut it'd be much appreciated!
Something like this should work (not testet):

1. Place the folder of the game where you want (I prefer the 'game' subdirectory)
2. Make a startup.gpe or name it like you want in the game's folder
Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/path/to/ginge_prep --nomenu ./yourgame.gpe

cd /usr/gp2x/
 exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
3. Make an .ini in the 'game' folder and name it like the folder of your game
Code:
[info]
 name="GINGE: MY GAME"
 path="/game's folder/startup.gpe"
 icon="/game's folder/icon.png"
 title="/game's folder/title.png"
 group="GAME"
The name you can choose. 'path' is the path to your startup.gpe relative to the folder you placed the .ini. Same for icons and titles.

Now you should see this game in the Game menu and should be able to launch.

Please tell me, if it doesn't work.

lenrlad

crazysteve said:
Hello,

have installed Ginge and then tried to get UAE4ALL working from the WIZ. Loads up fine with no issues, but when i try to run any ROM (Cannon Fodder, Pinball Dreams, Lemmings) blank screen. I can turn on the bottom lights but the frist is green and stops on number 50. pressing I brings up the joystick, keyboard, mouse toggle so the UAE4ALL is still running. Just stuck on loadsing games. Anyone got any working and if so how :)

Great work on GINGE :)

Be patient, the so called roms are floppy disk images, that take a while to load. They should show something after at least 10 seconds. Did you decompress the images? I only tried them in adf format, not zipped. The green light shows the track of the floppy disk, the Amiga is reading right now, the red one shows the sector, when these numbers keep changing, the emulator is still loading.

lenrlad said:
AJack said:
notaz said:
Jurk said:
I've managed to make the execution of gp2x games (Wind & Water, Cave history... ) transparent, bypassing ginge's gp2x menu... but when I quit a game, it returns to ginge's gp2x menu... its annoying... Can it be bypassed to, maybe removing the gp2xmenu file?
Use this:
Code:
  /mnt/sd/path/to/ginge_prep --nomenu ./someapp.gpe

If someone could write a quick tutorial for us thickos on how to make this kind of shortcut it'd be much appreciated!
Something like this should work (not testet):

It does not work you need to cd to the game path first then mount

1. Place the folder of the game where you want (I prefer the 'game' subdirectory)
2. Make a startup.gpe or name it like you want in the game's folder
Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/path/to/ginge_prep --nomenu ./yourgame.gpe

cd /usr/gp2x/
 exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
3. Make an .ini in the 'game' folder and name it like the folder of your game
Code:
[info]
 name="GINGE: MY GAME"
 path="/game's folder/startup.gpe"
 icon="/game's folder/icon.png"
 title="/game's folder/title.png"
 group="GAME"
The name you can choose. 'path' is the path to your startup.gpe relative to the folder you placed the .ini. Same for icons and titles.

Now you should see this game in the Game menu and should be able to launch.

Please tell me, if it doesn't work.

lenrlad

It doesnt work. You have to cd to the game directory first

More ginge questios lol

Is it possible to have the wiz menu as well as the gp2x/f200 - that way when playing wiz stuff you can load the wiz menu
And when playing gp2x/f200 load that menu... thought it would be cool

And does overclocking work?

cheers ruffnutts ;)

Edit: also would be good to go straight to the WIZ/GP2X game straight from the caanoo menu with a title and bannner,
Think this is being ask in one of the above post...

Cheers.

Alright, so I've Ginge-ified CaveStory so that Ginge is totally invisible.
Here's how I did it on my Caanoo.

In the "GAME" folder
I have a folder called "cavestory_gp2x" that contains the Cave Story files.
And I have an .ini file called "cavestory_gp2x.ini"

My .ini file reads as follows:

[info]
name="GINGE: CAVE STORY"
path="/cavestory_gp2x/startup.gpe"
icon="/cavestory_gp2x/doukutsu.png"
title="/cavestory_gp2x/title.png"
group="GAME"

Now, inside the "cavestory_gp2x" folder, I have created a .gpe file using Notepad/Textedit called "startup.gpe". Be careful that your editor of choice can encode the file properly, something Unix happy, as straight text as you can muster.

Note the .ini file points to this .gpe file.

The .gpe file is as follows:

#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/apps/ginge/ginge_prep --nomenu ./doukutsu.gpe

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

The /mnt/ file location points to where I put Ginge, in my app folder. Change this if Ginge is in a different location for you.

Lastly, I made this title for Cave Story so that there is something to see in the game menu.
title.png

Drop this into your Cave Story game folder and it should be picked up automagically.

You can probably use these files as a template to any other game you wish to Ginge-ify. Just change the addresses.

hey,
thanks for the instructions and nice title you made.
But I've a question, why must you go into the game's directory first? Isn't it enough to put it into the games directory?

@notaz: maybe you can include something like this in a readme or so in the next build.

lenrlad

traylorpark said:

Hi Traylor,

I had a go at this, but all I seem to get when launching from the games menu (that bit seemed to work) is an endless Caanoo loading screen (the one with the hourglass). Any thoughts?

Also, I notice that in your tutorial you refer to the 'games' folder, whereas my Caanoo has a 'game' folder - is yours renamed, or mine :S

I got Neo Geo Pocket emulator to run, still not luck with the PC Engine one, but the calibration is messed up on the Neo Geo Pocket emulator. Its seems to be stuck on down for some reason.

traylorpark said:

In the "games" folder

[info]
group="GAME"

Now, inside the "cavestory_gp2x" folder, I have created a .gpe file using Notepad/Textedit called "startup.gpe". Note the .ini file points to this .gpe file.

#!/bin/sh

cd /mnt/sd/games/cavestory_gp2x/

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Note that the first CD command points to the location of the Cave Story game folder.
The second /mnt/ file location points to where I put Ginge, in my app folder. Change this if Ginge is in a different location for you.

Lastly, I made this title for Cave Story so that there is something to see in the game menu.
title.png

Drop this into your Cave Story game folder and it should be picked up automagically.

You can probably use these files as a template to any other game you wish to Ginge-ify. Just change the addresses.

thanks i now have pocket snes, temper, and cave story running straight from my game folder!

AJack said:
traylorpark said:

Hi Traylor,

I had a go at this, but all I seem to get when launching from the games menu (that bit seemed to work) is an endless Caanoo loading screen (the one with the hourglass). Any thoughts?

Also, I notice that in your tutorial you refer to the 'games' folder, whereas my Caanoo has a 'game' folder - is yours renamed, or mine :S

when creating the ini file make sure the path is the startup.gpe you created and not the game or emulator gpe file that is already in the folder. i made this mistake the first time too.

AJack said:

HA! Interesting ... yeah, it is in fact "GAME" I was pluralizing it in my head.

That means that line isn't needed.

lenrlad said:
why must you go into the game's directory first? Isn't it enough to put it into the games directory?

That's what I was thinking. I guess if the files are not in the GAME folder ... sure. But, considering that this line doesn't mean anything right now on my Caanoo, perhaps you are right!

I was just following the advice of Qbertaddict

qbertaddict said:
It doesnt work. You have to cd to the game directory first

I guess that's not needed.

Also, I made a title banner for Wind and Water. Name it to whatever you want so it matches the .ini file.
windwater_title.png

traylorpark said:

In the "games" folder

[info]
group="GAME"

Now, inside the "cavestory_gp2x" folder, I have created a .gpe file using Notepad/Textedit called "startup.gpe". Note the .ini file points to this .gpe file.

#!/bin/sh

cd /mnt/sd/games/cavestory_gp2x/

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Note that the first CD command points to the location of the Cave Story game folder.
The second /mnt/ file location points to where I put Ginge, in my app folder. Change this if Ginge is in a different location for you.

title.png

Thanks for the tutorial but nothing seems to work for me. Mine just sits there with the loading hourglass. I have tried every tutorial nothing seems to work. I have tried different memory cards and tried putting ginge in different locations. I tried it from gmenu. Ive tried different firmwares as well. Is anyone else having these issues? My games run fine from within ginge.

qbertaddict said:
Thanks for the tutorial but nothing seems to work for me. Mine just sits there with the loading hourglass. I have tried every tutorial nothing seems to work. I have tried different memory cards and tried putting ginge in different locations. I tried it from gmenu. Ive tried different firmwares as well. Is anyone else having these issues? My games run fine from within ginge.

Same here. I'm going to try a few things mentioned up-thread when I'm home from work, but perhaps someone for whom it worked could upload their startup.gpe files so we could take a look?

AJack said:
qbertaddict said:

Same here. I'm going to try a few things mentioned up-thread when I'm home from work, but perhaps someone for whom it worked could upload their startup.gpe files so we could take a look?
Ive tried everything mentioned nothing works. One interesting thing is the startup.gpe doesnt work from within ginge either but the doukutsu.gpe does. This leaves me to believe that there is a issue with the startup.gpe I'm going to look into it a little more

Ive tried everything i could think of in the last two days. Im going to wait it out until someone finds a solution for us.

Back