FXI cotton candy turns any screen into Android station

It can't support windows, windows is X86 based.

I also consider windows a dead/dying OS, everything is moving to Android/iOS at an unprecedented speed.
Actually microsoft anounced a version of windows for all arm cortex based cpus a few months back.

Microsoft is dead since the release of seven. They will survive a little more with their idiotic lawsuits.

All the new generation know the existence of Linux, and know it's better.

Apple is still a problem, but it's so expensive (because they are greedy) they will lost plenty of customers to things like, let's say, Open Pandora ;^).
Sorry to sound heavy.

This is just fanatism bullshit ! The reality is that windows and office are there to stay for a while. The ribon could have killed them....if openoffice would have been on par. Now that most users have migrated to the ribbon interface, MS is here to stay for a while.

That's market facts. Like it or not.

My job is to design application architecture based on needs my customers tell me. No matter how I sell them, freesoftware doesnt stand a chance. And the issues havent anything to do with the quality or the completness of the solution. On one of my current project, I'm readying to show 2 solutions, 1 based on Oracle products end-to-end which cost a awesome fortune and the other one that fit all the clients criteria, match all the requiered feature and fit within budget but is based on free software (liferay). I can even get a good support at a good price. Yet I'm sure in the end, the client will prefer doing nothing.... I should be happy : my client is realy open to free software compared to the rest of the market : I wouldnt have to discuss that the server OS would be linux....

remove your pink glaces...
You guys are missing the point of this thread its what fxi could do for the pandora ive seen less fanboys on xboxlive lets get back on topic.

That doesn't really look like fanboyism to me, but we've had a request to split the debate out of the topic, so I'm about to do that and move it over to Off Topic General. :p

Just give me a couple of minutes to get it sorted. :)

EDIT: There we go. The new topic is here, for those looking for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
would be nice if this could support windows as well as ubuntu and android, Android aint a preference of mine and this would increase the pandoras functionality 100 fold.
all you're gonna get on ARM is the phone version of windows or maybe the arm version of win 8 when it is released. either way they won't run x86 windows programs so I don't see any benefit at all. I'm agreeing with Craigix on this, windows is a dying OS

I also consider windows a dead/dying OS, everything is moving to Android/iOS at an unprecedented speed.
Actually microsoft anounced a version of windows for all arm cortex based cpus a few months back.
And Adobe announced working Flash for ARM devices ages ago but not much happend. ;) I wouldn'rt count much on all these false promises.

However, even if this little Device here is nice, I don't see much useful things it could do for the Pandora. Maybe it would be a cool "Co-Processor" thing but I doubt anything in this direction would be possible at all.

And Adobe announced working Flash for ARM devices ages ago but not much happend. ;) I wouldn'rt count much on all these false promises.

However, even if this little Device here is nice, I don't see much useful things it could do for the Pandora. Maybe it would be a cool "Co-Processor" thing but I doubt anything in this direction would be possible at all.
Eat your words m8 http://youtu.be/xKc_XGuvNIk

This looks really great, and I'm almost positive that it can be made to work on Pandora - since it seems like its exporting a VNC port and a local virtual subnet to the PC/OSX software. Brilliant idea, hope it catches on and I can just carry around a full-blown Android machine on my keychain for easy use ..

Spill the beans Caz, some of us are behind blocking firewalls. What's in the vid?
Its an official vid of microsoft and steven ballmer showing windows running o n snapdragon omap and tegra platforms .

I know im going to open a can of worms here especially with all the anti microsoft windows etc but is the whole point of the pandora project to be open uncrippled pc on the go if angstrom debian and ubuntu are ok why not windows?, hell id pay a premium to have a portable version of xp would make porting games soo much easier.Thats why i thought this little stick would be interesting.

I know im going to open a can of worms here especially with all the anti microsoft windows etc but is the whole point of the pandora project to be open uncrippled pc on the go if angstrom debian and ubuntu are ok why not windows?, hell id pay a premium to have a portable version of xp would make porting games soo much easier.Thats why i thought this little stick would be interesting.
This Windows running on ARM is not remotely the same as the Windows running on your desktop. They both have the same look and feel and much of the same backend interfaces but it still has the exact same restrictions we have now: x86 compiled applications will run on the x86 (desktop) version, and you need an ARM compiled application to run on the ARM version of Windows. This makes porting "easier" in that future game developers can, in theory, simply change their target and the result will be an ARM executable (maybe, sometimes, but I'm going to guess frequently not) but it will do absolutely nothing for programs that already exist. This is not a "portable version of XP" capable of running existing applications: at best it is an alternative to Linux which future developers might support more readily, but make no mistake, it will still require the developer to actually care enough to do something to build an a release specifically for the ARM based version of Windows.

So its just winmobile again in the end, I somehow knew they would't have the balls to deal with a full arm version.

Ok, I have no idea whats going on now, it looks like they have released the Cotton Candy for $199. It has the same specs basically as the MK808 - which costs $63.50 delivered . The only difference is that it also has Bluetooth and Android ICS, whereas the MK808 has no Bluetooth, but has Jelly Bean .

It also looks like the Cotton Candy comes with a Beta OS that has quite some issues. I get the feeling they just launched it faults and all - perhaps they ran out of cash. Why they even bothered to launch it with issues and at a price thats 3 times more expensive than it's equivalent is beyond me. Not sure what happened with that proposed Telefunken buy out, perhaps it fell through

Check the Manufacturers site here: http://store.cstick....tton-candy.html

The SlashGear story here: http://www.slashgear...pping-25249120/

Surprised I never got mail from them confirming its now available...

Does sound a bit costly now compared to MK808, and considering not consumer ready, thought a buggy dev one would be cheaper even

^ Yeah, I really do think they ran out of cash

The last story was that they were to be sold by Telefunken and it was going to be released late this year as the Telefunken Smart Stick.

Then all of a sudden it's available for sale with little fanfare and a Beta OS with warnings of all the bugs and issues right on there Buy it page.

Ok, I have no idea whats going on now, it looks like they have released the Cotton Candy for $199. It has the same specs basically as the MK808 - which costs $63.50 delivered . The only difference is that it also has Bluetooth and Android ICS, whereas the MK808 has no Bluetooth, but has Jelly Bean .

It also looks like the Cotton Candy comes with a Beta OS that has quite some issues. I get the feeling they just launched it faults and all - perhaps they ran out of cash. Why they even bothered to launch it with issues and at a price thats 3 times more expensive than it's equivalent is beyond me. Not sure what happened with that proposed Telefunken buy out, perhaps it fell through
As it seems the cotton candy has also a Mali-400MP GPU, which the MK808 does not have. And the MK808 seems to have some quirks too:

I start with issues i have found on MK808 so far:
  • The provided AC charger is only 1A (Ampare) which is not enough to power this device
  • Not rooted
  • Wrong resolution, the image is stretched out on my 47-inch LG TV. (see last screen in this post)
  • No built-in mic for Voice Search
  • No power off buttons
  • Stock browser not working (preinstalled Chrome work fine)
Source

Back