First Impressions: Odroid

@jb0yx
I'm really interested in the Android OS and its apps. I might get the Odroid because I think the next batch of Pandora will have an updated design and it'll probably take 6 months to a year for delivery.

DisgruntleElf said:
Does this mean you'll be selling your Odroid when Pandora releases? I must confess I'm looking forward to the release of Pandora to cash in on all the great deals the community has purchased to fill their gaming needs till Pandora releases.
nope, I have tons of handhelds floating around that I no longer use... dell axim, psp fat/lite/go, nintendo sp/ds/ds lite, sony viao, sony mylo, palm pre, htc mogul/hd2/hero, black berry curve, ipod touch/clasic/nano, oqo, samsung q1, hp ipaq, dingoo, slew of random chineese mp4 players... that's just what I can think of off the top of my head, the list goes on and on... total gadget junkie, I've been encouraged in the past to get rid of them, but refuse ;)

I just thought of a bunch more I forgot, but won't bore you anymore than I already have, I'd say on an average year I spend about 2-3k USD on just random gadgets.

Last edited by a moderator:
would you say the odroid is worth buying for gaming etc for someone who isnt familiar with programming or developing?
i must say it looks a lot nicer in the vids than the photos did. i assumed itd be really fat, but it looks great.

im a bit dubious about the shoulder buttons however.

jb0yx said:
"testing" more snes roms, works really good actually, f-zero was really run and playable. Chrono trigger, final fantasies, contra, and zelda all worked well. Mario world is laggy, mario rpg fails to load. I feel now that I would change my opinion on the position of the action buttons, I'd move them to the top, where the dpad is instead of the middle, my right thumb was starting to cramp a bit after extended playing, where my left was fine. Tested only a few sega games, sonic, golden axe, earthworm jim... fast and playable. Any requests for testing emulators/roms or any apps out there? Let me know.
Secret of Evermore and Space Megaforce.

Jourdy288 said:
jb0yx said:
"testing" more snes roms, works really good actually, f-zero was really run and playable. Chrono trigger, final fantasies, contra, and zelda all worked well. Mario world is laggy, mario rpg fails to load. I feel now that I would change my opinion on the position of the action buttons, I'd move them to the top, where the dpad is instead of the middle, my right thumb was starting to cramp a bit after extended playing, where my left was fine. Tested only a few sega games, sonic, golden axe, earthworm jim... fast and playable. Any requests for testing emulators/roms or any apps out there? Let me know.
Secret of Evermore and Space Megaforce.

tony hawks 2 on the GBA is where a lot of emulators and even flash carts begin to slow down... lets have a look at that if you have time :)

@jb0yx What versions of snesoid and gensoid are you using? Also, I have to say that I envy you in a way. I have also owned A LOT of those same gadgets and others, but I have the problem were I usually sell the device to get another so I can no longer call those mine. :(

I actually bought a preorder of pandora WAY back in September of 2008 but couldn't wait by that January and canceled the order. Is it really going to be coming out soon? I'm an inpatient bastard. :p I forget how much it was, isn't it supposed to be 400? Thanks.

My frist question IS about odroid. Though my second one is not, so I apologize for that. That was quick. :p

Wolfspirit said:
@jb0yx What versions of snesoid and gensoid are you using? Also, I have to say that I envy you in a way. I have also owned A LOT of those same gadgets and others, but I have the problem were I usually sell the device to get another so I can no longer call those mine. :(

I actually bought a preorder of pandora WAY back in September of 2008 but couldn't wait by that January and canceled the order. Is it really going to be coming out soon? I'm an inpatient bastard. :p I forget how much it was, isn't it supposed to be 400? Thanks.
snesoid and gensoid are 1.7.8 IIRC, also comparing it to the exact same app running on 2.1 something seems different, on 2.1 it's alot slower but still playable (on android 1.5 seems completely playable no frame skip, max everything), but 2.1 has a decent anti aliasing or higher res or something, it just looks better on 2.1 for some reason, will have to retest to make sure it wasn't just my eyes messing with me.

pandora should be out soon, I honestly believe late March early April if you are in the first 1000 or so. after that.. no idea.. $330 is the price if nothing has changed, I'd run over to openpandora.org though and check for yourself.

@jourdy & gibberish- I'll check those tonight and report back

I wonder how HardKernel will survive with so little sales. If the company went bust, is that it for the Odroid? Or will it have continued support from the Odroid community which is very small I think.

rsuryase said:
I wonder how HardKernel will survive with so little sales. If the company went bust, is that it for the Odroid? Or will it have continued support from the Odroid community which is very small I think.
I think their English sales aren't that much, but their Korean community is pretty big, mostly higher end dev talk. Lots of firmware stuff, and Exophase type talk :lol: It almost seems the actual company isn't that big but rely on software development from the community, they direct major releases. It looks like they will be bringing an end user version out at some point after they work out all the bugs and stuff. This dev version works but the software isn't polished like it should be, once "they" (whoever "they" are) finish development to a nice polished state, they will do a more end user centric version i'm sure.

What is weird though is that most of your emulators and retro gamer programmers all seriously into gp32x forum... this is like the nexus for that kinda stuff, some really big names troll around here. For some reason.. they just aren't really into android it seems... or at least into odroid... I don't really know why? It's open hardware, open OS, community centric... i just don't know. And the major dev forum for android devices is XDA, they don't show any love to Odroid either, but at least I've gotten a bit of help with the android portion from some fellows over there.... sorry I'm rambling. Development would continue if the manufacturer went out of business, but few would benefit because lack of available devices.

I wanted to let everyone know that I'm selling my ODROID. If you are interested you can check it out here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290411871909

@SONY:

The Odroid is in perfect condition since I've only had it for 2 months at the most. I was going to wipe the device out and put the 1.5 android OS back on the device, since that is more stable (2.1 is available in alpha form and the final version will be released at the end of this month). On 1.5 all emulators work except for the GBA emulator, and on 2.1 all of them work. I can install all of the emulators preloaded if you'd like.,

@kingoddball:

I'm selling it because it still doesn't meet my "feeling" of the one true device (pandora is probably more along those lines). It's close though, and you can do a lot with it. My only major complaint with this is that I have to charge it using the usb adapter with my computer and can't charge it in my car or bedroom. All of the AC->USB adapters I have tried to work with this have failed. The ODROID uses a TTA20 pin connector and I have yet to find one available on ebay. It's a fairly standard connector from korea though, so it shouldn't be hard to find. I'm probably just not trying hard enough. :)

Iorgy77 said:
How much does software cost for it? Emulators for example, is there any free software?

There are tons of free software (check out slideme.com). The emulators are around 3 dollars a piece for each one.

Android Enclair 2.1 R2 beta for Odroid is out 3/12/10
------------
Change log from Android Cupcake 1.5
------------
- Based on Android 2.1 Eclair R2 tag in AOSP GIT (Approx. 5-Feb-2010)
- API Level 7
- Hardware OpenGL ES 1.x and 2.0 implemented.
- OpenCore powered by Hardware HD video decoder(MFC)
- Horizontal/Landscape modes and 3-Axis accelerometer improvement.
- Improved WiFi connection manager
- L2 cache is enabled.
- VFP/NEON is enabled.
- HDMI / ADB are enabled.
- Volume +/- Keys only work in Horizontal mode (FN switch)
- Kernel changed from 2.6.27 to 2.6.29

---------
Bugs fixed from Enclair 2.1 Alpha version
---------
-Sleep/Wakeup mode implemented. Shortly holding power-off slider puts Odroid into sleep mode.
Screen Time out(default 2 minutes) also puts Odroid into sleep mode.
Early Suspend, Late Resume and Suspend_to_RAM are included.
Expected 30~40 hours of suspend time with battery. (some bugs found on resume)
Sleep/Wakeup should only be performed with Power On key. (until bugs are fixed)
- SSID are now remembered correctly. So you don't need to manually re-connect after every power on state.
- HDMI sound is activated.
- Better clock gating to reduce power consumption.
- Bluetooth is partially working (file transfer only)
- Support for more Languages
------------
Known issues currently in Enclair 2.1 Beta version
------------
- Battery life is slightly shorter than CupCake version
- Limited Bluetooth support (No Audio device support)
- No Audio input / No Voice recording
- LiveWallpaper API's not fully compatible.
- Bug with LCD back-light PWM on resume from suspend/sleep.

http://dev.odroid.com/projects/odroid/download/note/22

EDIT: went ahead and fixed the grammar errors >.>

also Secret of Evermore and Space Megaforce work fine at frameskip 1-2 in (cupcake 1.5) enclair has slightly slower emulation ATM (havn't fully tested this build yet). Havn't gotten GBA emulator and tony hawk coppied over yet, but still on my plate of stuff to try out for ya. You aren't forgotten. Busy couple of weeks with work & kids =(

I'm glad to hear that! Also, what is the live wallpaper? Is that something like the Active Desktop on older Windows machines?

Jourdy288 said:
I'm glad to hear that! Also, what is the live wallpaper? Is that something like the Active Desktop on older Windows machines?
pretty cool feature, it's alot like active desktop, but more fluid animation (when implemented correctly) look up "live wallpaper" for "nexus one" on youtube for a preview of what it's supposed to look like.

Back