Asus Eee Pad Transformer (tablet/laptop hybrid) first impressions and ongoing review

Can the comic reader you are using also handle .CBR files?

Do you use FB reader or have you found something better?

What PDF reader are you using? I'd like to have one with good note taking and bookmark functions. Maybe even highlighting as I've picked up a study at my old age. Wouldn't mind paying.

I'm off to the shop in a bit to see if it's there yet and otherwise reserve one :)

Sent from my MotoA953 using Tapatalk

Can the comic reader you are using also handle .CBR files?
No. It just pulls in daily comic strips from the web (such as Calvin and Hobbes, Garfield Minus Garfield, and so on), to save you from having to visit dozens of websites. :p

Do you use FB reader or have you found something better?

What PDF reader are you using? I'd like to have one with good note taking and bookmark functions. Maybe even highlighting as I've picked up a study at my old age. Wouldn't mind paying.
I haven't done any PDF-reading at all, so I'm afraid I don't know what's available on that front - sorry!

EDIT: Alright, it's time for the final day of the ongoing review, which is basically a final run-down of my thoughts after one week with the device.

In spite of an awkward start and extreme annoyance at the crypticness of some aspects of the Android "Honeycomb" operating system (something which I can only assume is inherited from the telephone versions of Android), I'm now finding Android to be very fun to use. I wouldn't recommend it to a complete beginner because of the cryptic and nonsensical icons that are still scattered here and there, and I would certainly recommend reading up on the OS prior to purchase even if you are experienced with technology (this is something that I deliberately did not do, because I wanted to approach this review from the perspective of a *complete* Android beginner), but it is obvious that the issues with the interface are actively being worked on, which the system update which (in part) removed the cryptic behaviour of the desktop background settings, proved.

One particularly nice touch that I've observed during the last day or so, has been that instead of letting you open too many tabs and end up crashing the browser, you will simply not be allowed to open more tabs once the limit has been reached - at least until you close one or more of the existing ones. I'm not sure if this was present before, or if it was added by the update that I mentioned, but it is a nice touch, and I think that it's a good example of how things need to continue for this OS.

There are still some stability issues with the stock applications* (for example, sometimes the browser crashes for no reason whatsoever), but I am confident that this will change with time. As I mentioned above, it's obvious that improvements are being actively made and rolled out. Obviously, I'm not going to judge what the OS provides on the basis of third-party applications that may be unstable. Those responsible for them tend to warn of that, anyway, or at the very least the user reviews often do if such a thing is an issue, so you usually know what you're getting.

I look forward to seeing further improvements, because, for an OS so very early in its life, Android is clearly doing very well indeed.

As for the hardware, I've only had to charge it a couple of times over the course of the entire week, and it's done very well at having roughly the promised battery-life. The moment where it was making Reaverbot noises and demanding to be recharged was most amusing, and I won't forget that in a hurry - I will also make sure to turn the volume down on nights where it might approach the end of its charge when in sleep mode.

Oddly, after the first night, it started losing a bit more charge percentage when left in sleep mode overnight, but this hasn't been an enormous problem. I can only assume that this might be because I've been leaving WiFi on when putting it down, but I don't know that for sure.

I know that I haven't covered the cameras at all before now, but I just wanted to make a quick note to say that for what they are, they're quite nice, and the software-controlled interface for taking pictures with them, whilst a bit basic, is fun, intuitive, and functional. They aren't something I particularly care about, though, which is why they never got a mention until now.

As the week has gone on, my appreciation of how solid and well-built it is has continued, and I've come to see how much thought was put into the design of both halves, as a whole. This ranges from the smooth metal edging which hides where, on other similar products, the seams would be, to the textured surface on both the tablet and keyboard halves, to the fact that the hinge of the laptop half is made of thick metal with a fabric lining, instead of plastic that might scratch the tablet side. The resolution of the screen is also greatly appreciated - from my research prior to purchase, it seems that 1280x800 (which was also the resolution of the x86-based MacBook that my Eee Pad Transformer has superseded for my daily computing work) is only available on a few Android tablets right now, with 1024x600 and 1024x768 being what's available on everything else in this product category. Asus have outdone themselves with this, and it's very well-deserving of praise.

All in all, I think I chose the right device for my requirements, as the Eee Pad is excelling with them. After all, technology that works well becomes a part of its users day-to-day life and work (whilst technology that doesn't work well finds itself needing to be shoehorned in, instead). If you're after something that's a bit more flexible than just a tablet and which can function as a competent computer in its own right (and which has a very good battery life), I would say that this is certainly worthy of your consideration.

Thankyou to those who've read the review over the course of the last week. It's been an interesting experience to write it, and to observe my opinions changing as the device has become more and more useful (and it's certainly interesting to me to see how differently I see it now to the way I saw it one week ago :p ). I hope that it proves to be useful to anyone who's looking at those types of devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dirty deed has been done, I ordered a 32gb with dock yesterday B)

Without dock is available in shop right now but with dock is 100 more and buying the dock seperately is 150 so I'll have to have some patience. 2 weeks approximately.

Seeing as waiting for technology is part of my everyday life for quite a while now.. :p

Does it easily allow for dual booting, say Debian + Android?

I've always thought it'd be interesting to have an ARM laptop or laptop/tablet explicitly for the better power usage and heat issues. Maybe with Windows 8 more companies will support ARM.

Anyway, the reason I bring up is because they don't have The Battle for Wesnoth for Android yet, and I'd donate an arm and a leg to play Wesnoth on a good tablet. Would make me quite happy.

Does it easily allow for dual booting, say Debian + Android?
I honestly don't know, and I'm afraid I'm not inclined to try, because I'm happy with things as they are and at this point I wouldn't know how to change it back! :lol:

That said, the last time I checked, I gathered that Ubuntu works but isn't quite there yet on Tegra 2 hardware (which is what this is), but that the next release is expected to support it fully. I would assume from this that the same is true of Debian, as well.

Windows 8 In The Next Asus Eee Pad Transformer?

228755-asus-eee-pad-transformer_listing.jpg
windows-8-unofficial-logo-5179661.jpg
asus_eee_pad_transformer_tf101_897803_663_92.jpg

Let the Windows 8 hardware rumors begin.

According to Notebook Italia, Asus is eyeing Windows 8 for the next version of its Eee Pad Transformer, a tablet with an optional keyboard and trackpad dock that props the device up like a netbook.

The new model will reportedly launch in 2012, alongside a sequel to the Android version that launched in late April. Both models should be thinner and lighter than the current Eee Pad Transformer, and while the Android version will reportedly cost the same as the first-generation Eee Pad ($399 for a 16 GB model), the Windows version will be pricier.

The Eee Pad Transformer seems like a perfect fit for Microsoft's Windows 8 intentions. The operating system will have a tile-based interface designed for touch-screens, with apps created in HTML 5 and Javascript. The interface will be navigated with finger swipes, and users will be able to drag apps in from the bezel and run two apps side-by-side.

But beneath that touch-based UI will be plain old Windows, with apps and an interface that are best-suited for a mouse and keyboard. That's where a device like the Eee Pad Transformer will be useful. Its trackpad and physical keyboard will allow users to run legacy apps and get some work done, while the detachable tablet will allow for more leisurely uses, such as surfing the web or reading e-books.

Of course, there are plenty of lingering questions about Windows 8 itself: Will it provide the instant-on capabilities of competing tablet platforms? Will ARM-based Windows 8 devices be able to run legacy apps? And what can we expect in terms of battery life?

In any case, I hope Notebook Italia's early report pans out, and that a new Eee Pad Transformer is one of the first Windows 8 devices available. If the operating system is designed for both touch screens and laptops, it makes sense for hardware to take a similar approach.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/230202/asus_may_put_windows_8_in_next_eee_pad_transformer_tablet.html

Ahh, that's a shame. That's precisely what lost Asus my business last time - they suddenly stopped offering what I wanted to buy, in favour of Microsoft Windows. At least I got the Android version before they inevitably stop offering it, though. :p

Incidentally, two weeks on, I have two more minor observations to add;

1: It's not as power-efficient as it could be (it loses a lot more battery overnight than the average Pandora does :p ).

2: It must be on to charge. It has no minimal charging mode (yet?). Whilst it is possible to shut it down with the charger plugged in, this causes charging to stop. Just an interesting note in case anyone ever needs to explain this trait of the Pandora's to anyone!

Needs to be on like Pandora (as we all know if Pandora is in the off position it automatically powers back on as soon as you plug it into a power point to charge the battery) or actually, "needs to be on" literally, as in if it is in the off position you won't be able to charge the battery?

^ Literally. If it's off, charging stops, like I said. But when you apply power, it will boot up if it was off initially, and start charging.

Essentially, it behaves as the Pandora does in that regard, but you can shut it down and it won't try to come back on again unless you remove and re-plug the power adapter.

Indeed, me either. I just found it interesting to see it in a widely mass-produced product, since so many folks are accustomed to seeing an "It seems like it's off"-style charging mode present. :p

Im getting this on the weekend we should keep in touch and help each other out etc

I'm afraid there's very likely nothing I would be able to help you with - my experience has been that once you're used to Android's niggles and occasional strange behaviour, it's pretty plain sailing. :p

I'm afraid there's very likely nothing I would be able to help you with - my experience has been that once you're used to Android's niggles and occasional strange behaviour, it's pretty plain sailing. :p
can you atleast post a followup after a few weeks of usage?

I enjoy reading your reviews/experience

I can indeed, though after the original week-long review and my earlier brief follow-up, I don't think I have much left to say! :lol:

The thing that I've noticed the most is how unoptimised Android is in places. The web-browser is especially like this, and is still very laggy and crash-happy even after a few updates. This is my biggest bugbear - especially the lag, as I'm used to my Pandora at 600MHz being very snappy with browsing, and yet a Tegra2-based device at 1.1GHz seems to struggle with text input.

The only other thing I have to add is that I've gotten the impression that Asus is one of those companies who use x86 mentality to advertise the battery life of this thing. The screen no doubt sucks a lot of juice, and that's been better since I turned the brightness down a bit (it's set to about a third, now, which is plenty bright enough, and doesn't guzzle nearly as much power), but I can't help but think I could only get the full 10 hour (tablet-mode) or 16 hour (laptop-mode) battery span if I had the brightness even lower and the wireless off, the latter of which rather defeats the object of a system designed to be online all the time. That said, I do get close to it (I'd guess seven or eight hours in tablet-mode, and twelve or thirteen in laptop-mode). I suppose the Pandora has spoiled me, there! :lol: It's still a lot better than the x86 machine I was using previously, and it seems that a recent update has stopped gigantic clods of power from being drained when it's in sleep mode - it's not nearly as bad now.

Still, all in all I'm finding it a superb product. I'd love to see one of these running Ångström (the Linux distribution on which the Pandora's OS is based) or similar, as I suspect I'd be able to get even more out of it if it was running better-optimised software. That's something for another time, I guess - I should see if it's possible to boot from a secondary OS stored on a microSD Card, when I have the time. :p

EDIT: One other thought; I don't like capacitive touch-screens - they're inherently too inaccurate and at times unresponsive, and whilst this one is decent, it still has these flaws to some degree (mainly the inaccuracy). I would have preferred a good multi-touch resistive screen, instead, but I can see why they didn't go with it - it wouldn't be possible to use that Gorilla Glass stuff that way, and a resistive screen would be more likely to become damaged if used extensively in tablet-mode.

Hey I just bought my transformer a few days ago and thought I should chip in.....

First things first, the lag on the keyboard in the stock browser is driving me nuts! It is so slow typing, other places such as applications there is no lag but stock browser sucks. I've been trying to find replacements for the lag by finding other browser and I came across two choices. Dolphin HD from the market app store is very nice and the lag is less but it is still there. Also opera mobile from the market is nice too and the LAG IS GONE! However there is no way to change the homepage and I hate the user interference so I deleted it and Im back to the drawing board. I think Ill use DOLPHIN hd with keyboard dock and stock browser when Im in tablet mode because stock browser has a nice UI.

Next, I noticed that skype works fine on the transformer however there is no possible way to use skype video chat on it. I've looked and looked all over but skype only supports like 2 or more phones for video android chat. However I did notice if you want a proper way to chat then use google talk and you can webchat to a pc or another android device fine and make calls and chat through the text.

Also Im a sucker for these gameloft HD games. However what surprised me the most is that honeycomb 3.1 is not compatible with most of these great 3d games. But I did read online and only 2 gameloft games work on the transformer, that is ASPHALT 6 and N.O.V.A. These are great games and the graphics are suburb! So off I went to download them and I came across to many problems. First, you need a special version of these games to work on honeycomb devices. Turns out, you can download motorola xoom/acer iconia versions and they will work fine on the transformer. So I downloaded them off of a website, which I will not post a link here([Removed]) and the 2 games work!...........for 30 seconds and then crash. Back to the drawing board. I've read it has something to do with the android 3.1 upgrade because people with 3.0 said they worked fine.

This is it for now and I will add more later. If you want to chip in and talk and give advice or ask questions we should support each other for the best tablet experience possible.

Thanks

^ Browser-wise, try out Firefox Mobile. It's not bad, and has zero lag. Unfortunately, its interface isn't the greatest either. I'd love to have the snappiness of that, combined with the stock browser. :lol:

^ Browser-wise, try out Firefox Mobile. It's not bad, and has zero lag. Unfortunately, its interface isn't the greatest either. I'd love to have the snappiness of that, combined with the stock browser. :lol:
anything more you want to add?

Not as far as I'm aware. Though Firefox Mobile does have a bug when using the keyboard in laptop-mode - pressing backspace always deletes two characters, not one.

Back