FXI cotton candy turns any screen into Android station

sixtyfifthbit

http://blog.laptopmag.com/usb-stick-contains-dual-core-computer-turns-any-screen-into-an-android-station

"When you plug the Cotton Candy into a Mac or PC, the Windows or OS X operating system recognizes it as a USB drive. You can then launch the software and run the Cotton Candy’s Android environment in a secure window while you use your desktop OS outside the window. You can even transfer files between your notebook’s native OS and the Cotton Candy’s Android environment by dragging them off or on the USB stick’s memory. "

Hopefully the software is either just VNC-type software, or has a linux port...

It's like a raspberry pi on steroids, but will probably cost 5 times as much as well.

The wording used is "considerably less than $200" but it doesn't sound like they intend to retail it themselves so the stated price doesn't mean a lot.

- Neelix

Not sure how this is an "ultimate accessory" for the Pandora? It will just use the Pandora as a power-source and ask for a bluetooth keyboard and HDMI TV ... don't get me wrong, this is probably a great little device, but to the Pandora it acts more like a leech, not as an accessory :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how this is an "ultimate accessory" for the Pandora? It will just use the Pandora as a power-source and ask for a bluetooth keyboard and HDMI TV ... don't get me wrong, this is probably a great little device, but to the Pandora it acts more like a leech, not as an accessory :huh:
So it wouldnt potentially enable users to increase there games and apps library using android games on the panda?

So it wouldnt potentially enable users to increase there games and apps library using android games on the panda?
No. It could potentially enable users to use the Pandora as a screen, input, and battery for a different computer that is capable of running Android apps and games, however.

It'd be somewhat similar to using the Pandora to play OnLive (or similar) games: technically true, but the Pandora isn't really playing those, it's just an expensive window into another system that is actually playing them.

Isn't android half running on the Pandora anyway?

I think I'd rather have a clean android installation on an SD card, nicely tweaked for the Pandora, than replicating a bunch of hardware for an extra £100.

ARM® Cortex-A9 (1.2GHz) CPU, an ARM Mali-400 MP (Quad-core) GPU, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, HDMI output and the Android operating system.

The stick decodes MPEG-4, H.264 and other video formats and display HD graphics on any HDMI equipped screen.

Content is accessed through a secure FXI web portal and can be controlled via smartphones, keyboards, mice and other USB peripherals.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/tiny-21-gram-cotton-candy-usb-actually-a-personal-computer-20111121-1nqdf.html#ixzz1exJVqZXb

Just wondering if this could work on the pandora

That looks quite nice. Makes you think though, with something that powerful, and that small, NASA could wreck their entire space program by dropping mission control in a cup of coffee.

I hope you don't mind, cazmeister, but I've merged this with the other pre-existing discussion about the Cotton Candy device. I've kept your title, though, as it's more descriptive. :)

http://blog.laptopma...android-station

"When you plug the Cotton Candy into a Mac or PC, the Windows or OS X operating system recognizes it as a USB drive. You can then launch the software and run the Cotton Candy’s Android environment in a secure window while you use your desktop OS outside the window. You can even transfer files between your notebook’s native OS and the Cotton Candy’s Android environment by dragging them off or on the USB stick’s memory. "

Hopefully the software is either just VNC-type software, or has a linux port...
200 dollars is the price

I hope you don't mind, cazmeister, but I've merged this with the other pre-existing discussion about the Cotton Candy device. I've kept your title, though, as it's more descriptive. :)

No problem it would be nice to have Michael's and Craigs thought on this as alot of the moaning over the last few months has been out of date this and that if this works it could increase the pandoras possibilities for 200 dollars wonder how much power it uses.

I've reading about it now, I find it quite fascinating.

Oddly a company recently sent us details of a similar product containing an OMAP4, which could do similar things.

The Pandora as a host for something like this is something I like the thought of.

I've reading about it now, I find it quite fascinating.

Oddly a company recently sent us details of a similar product containing an OMAP4, which could do similar things.

The Pandora as a host for something like this is something I like the thought of.
you couldnt find out the power requirements ive trawled the net but no luck, would be nice if this could support windows as well as ubuntu and android, Android aint a preference of mine and this would increase the pandoras functionality 100 fold.

It can't support windows, windows is X86 based.

I also consider windows a dead/dying OS, everything is moving to Android/iOS at an unprecedented speed.

Back