Flyer for FOSDEM

My initial thought is this thing requires alot of knowledge, its perfect for people who know whats up and stuff, the engineer (FOSDEM OK, but not great, everyone else not good my girlfriend understood notsomuch, and she is quite knowledgeable even) Less text, i want to frame it and hang it on my wall. thats what we should gun for.

OUTSIDE THE FLYER: http://boards.openpandora.org/michi/flyeroutside.jpg

1 "(ergonomic) Handheld PC and game console in one." Honest, to the point
2 ( can the image be 1:4 actual size maybe?)

3 The screen!!!! it's ALOT brighter than that, show a real one.

4 Move the pandora logo, raise it a bit, its cramped  now its too far to the right with respect to the fold

5 Drop the www.openpandor(again) and have just .org in the lower right, people are clever, urls are dumb.

(i understand now that the logo doesnt have the word open in it and that pandora.org is registered to someone else)

Specs:

0 we lost them. How about write fully open GNU/Linux system with priviliges?
6second, i know it says "no Linux knowledge" but rooting isnt self explanatory, thus we lost them at the top, the irony.
7 drop "qwerty" they can see that from the image gaming controls nubs, also, dvoraks and colemaks are angry people.
OS-es (operating systems) SD _memory card_, oh dear, how about Boot (logo, logo, logo, logo and logo) from sd card, anyone attempting this will not need self explanatory stuff, and we are losing people as we speak. Drop this from the front of the flyer, maybe do logos in the corner.
8 Fast 1GHz ARM _processor_ and powerful graphics card.
say pixels (or resolution)
9 She doesn't care about standby, what is "instant standby"?
10 no account _registration_
11 "standard linux env, makes it easy to port software" if its standard there shouldnt be a job of porting, half the point, also, porting is not funfunfun.

"Open Linux system" is already mentioned @ point 1, couldn't "standard"  be appended to that and let people assume the implications?

12 "code and compile" how about "make programs yourself on the actual metal"

13 Do different colours, tiny colour of black one (or blue) little one next to both (do we do colours?) if available. If you want a different one, you paint the case.

14 10+hours twice, "full-keyboard" three times, do a slogan instead, or just have the one line I started with. (see 1)

15 ithic url in blue world map in between "dragonbox.de" in red
make USA and canada blue and the rest of Europe south america red.  This way we explain things with images and colours instead of walls of text.

south america                                                          Asia

16 What is that background, fake wood veneer with primer on it? Get something else, like pixelart. I want to believe im at the highscore screen of a good game. The world has moved away from jpg-leather and png-suade.

17 Pixel fault on pandora icon on the QR-code, move to the right.

18 QR-codes arent in the same places in relation to text

19 Get the green dragon the same size as the pandora icon on the QR mobpic.

20 One can find the forums from the site, no need to give the board url. "Get involved, excelsior community, be happy"

21 jagged line is jagged, something needs to be done with the layout.  edit: my bad, layout is fine, it folds.

THE INSIDE OF FLYER:  http://boards.openpandora.org/michi/flyerinside.jpg

"too much text, too much text. Do not want."

Inside:
22 why is the d-pad green? Feature or bug?

too. many, tics,
23 AND THEN MORE TICKS, can we do bullet points with a little pandora pixel favicon? ticks are cheezy.

gaming:
24 "What is open source?" And this is where we should use our text, so that people get the idea
fsf free software guidlines, post them proud, all 4 freedoms. (doesnt have to be the biggest fontsize ever)

A program is free software if the program's users have the four essential freedoms:

• The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
  • The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
  • The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
  • The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

25 "re-play"?, dont tell me what i have played, maybe someone young will enjoy regardless of nostalgia."

26 how about "new free software games at no cost and thousands of old classics through the use of emulators"
Do logos of games under each. Condensing the two lines into one like above is better IMO.

27 She didn't know Linux had games, or what they are, no knowledge, (i should not have to explain why this tick is bad, both for people in the know and those who aren't.
Logos double their worth from before here, cool games, wesnoth!, they give us, we give back, everyone wins.

28 Icons for buttons, ↓←↓→ touch (square), [L][R]  (does the printing press not support UTF-8?
full keyboard! put an exclamation mark, its warranted.
Logos for systems, i don't want to read N64 or C64, i want to see the logo, this is usability in practice.

Productivity: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This slide is nearly empty, fill it with fun.

how about:
29 Media usage: "Your worksuite on the go." Its not a stapler, so its not an actual office, nor do people want that pestering them.
productivity, internet, chose one...
 30  "do memos" (task-planning, really?)
 31  "whats a tracker?" how abnout "make game music" "make sketches" and "interactive drawing" schism and goat-tracker logo
watch films without the need for slate-stand
32  Social networking, (diaspora, freenode, identica) Make sure people are jelly of your new pandora. Interact with pandora community.
33 upload photos and play music. Just some images stacked and a music note, people get the idea. (We want that tune they like playing in their head when they see the note.)

development:

34 How about picture of code and glxgears in another window
spinnan pandora logo (like the amiga ball)
35 Get rid of the borders, undecorate them, screen estate is a premium, treat it as such
36 Turing complete!

Images of c++ logo, cobol, lisp etc etc

Operating systems:
37 boot (logo logo logo) from sd card. Write slackware and sabayon next to their logos. Make sure updated ängstrom is in there with an outofthebox internal storage notice
38 "We support hackers, unbrickable bootloader (hackers sign) Real posidrive screws, open, mod. hack and slash. images from reboot?
http://drawception.com/pub/panels/2012/4-8/w5t5s8SYwF-10.png
39 Recursive booting, linux in your linux, chroot!

#! Things will go green once they are fixed

#! Things will go blue if they are will not fix, bad ideas

Ideas and thoughts:

40 Do the top section on the top image of pandora and continue it on the bottom with the keyboard
41 change font (do a 8px heavy bitmap one or DejaVu, Freesans, Drop hinting
42 add "logo respective to their owners" notice in small print
Drop the slides entirely, free flow, borders are 1996

For the layout:
Black with glowing incandescent outline on squares background maybe

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I'm pretty sure its where the rendering software  thought there should be a reflection of the SD1 LED.
Right, I accidentally misplaced the light while working on the model, so the light now comes out of the case ;)

Oh, great, just spent 30 minutes to reply on that huge thread (and explain a lot of things and why I don't want to change them and did them like that on purpose) and just before reaching the end, Opera crashes and the post is lost.

Awesome.

I don't have the time to write that all up again, will change the flyer based some ideas here and will put it back up.

I'll have to send it to the printing company tonight, so time is narrow.

Slackware logo:

bluepiSW.jpg

The smoking Tux doesn't hurt too ^^

Oh, great, just spent 30 minutes to reply on that huge thread (and explain a lot of things and why I don't want to change them and did them like that on purpose) and just before reaching the end, Opera crashes and the post is lost.

Awesome.

I don't have the time to write that all up again, will change the flyer based some ideas here and will put it back up.

I'm afraid my compilation won't be finished by then, sorry.  :(  , so no nice screenshot for the Productivity part.

Awesome.

I'm afraid my compilation won't be finished by then, sorry.  :(  , so no nice screenshot for the Productivity part.
Okay, I'll do something myself then :)

Updated both files.

Please let me know if you find anything else, I can do some more changes tonight.

Just awesome! Would you mind if I print out the finished version and put it up at my school? It's a IT school and lot's of gamers and Linux lovers go there. 

How about including an Icon for Android with the other OS icons?

Letting people know what they get 'out of the box'.

Saying 'thousands of free games*' instead of hundreds.

*This of course would be referring to the Pandora Repo + the Android marketplace rather than roms of dubious origin.

If this print run is only to be used at Fosdem then it might also make sense to stick the current retail price on it, the price can of course be changed for future print runs.

Just awesome! Would you mind if I print out the finished version and put it up at my school? It's a IT school and lot's of gamers and Linux lovers go there. 
No need to do that. I'll create enough and will send some to everyone who knows geeky places where he could hand them out :)

Spread the word :D

How about including an Icon for Android with the other OS icons?
I'm not sure about the license here. Can you use it for an unofficial port?

"Publish your apps where you want. No Signature, fee or registration needed."

This makes it sound like we have no repo..    how about:

Publish your apps where you want.

No Signature or fee to publish in repo.

?

- Neelix

Or just: Publish your freeware or paid apps on the repo for free. No fees, no review, no hassle.

Edited for the grammar police.

Your right. But there is none in fact. Only userreviews.

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed it or if it is correct but: "Listen to Music or watch music..." ??? In the inside flyer

Back