Release FLAT

I think it's better if you link, it's easier to update, but if you you prefer putting the binary, it's not a problem.

About Framerate, I did'nt found that to be a big issue. It(s perfectly playable on a Gigahertz, just a bit slow on non-overclocked 600MHz model. Resizing by hand looks a bit a of work, but I can try someday to see if it improve framerate. I you can re-render at a lower res (like width/2, height/2), that would simplify my work for sure !

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's better if you link, it's easier to update, but if you you prefer putting the binary, it's not a problem.
Done! Download link is up on the site. I've added mention of you to the contributors list as well. If there's any detail you want added, let me know.

About Framerate, I did'nt found that to be a big issue. It(s perfectly playable on a Gigahertz, just a bit slow on non-overclocked 600MHz model. Resizing by hand looks a bit a of work, but I can try someday to see if it improve framerate. I you can re-render at a lower res (like width/2, height/2), that would simplify my work for sure !
Alrighty. If it's just dimensions / 2, then imagemagick's mogrify command might be the way to go (certainly the quickest). I'll pop it on my todo list for tomorrow.

Some textures like the scuff marks could be removed altogether. I wouldn't suggest dropping crystal density much, but the number of sky objects (like the fourth moon which only has a reflection visible) could probably be trimmed down without much loss of atmosphere.

So, while changing icon of the PND with the official one, I looked at optimised a bit FLAT. I first tried to reduce the artwork, but it didn't change the framerate, and everything with missplaced... bad idea. But, looking at the makefile, I sudenly realised I just missing the "-O" flag. I put all the "-mcpu=cortex-a8" etc..., but no optimisation flags. So I added a "-Ofast"... Et voilà, a build 50% faster !

Build 02

-----------

• Put official icon (it doesn't show on the repo, may be I have to what for some cache to purge).
  • New optimised build, 50% faster than build 01 (hum, I just forgot the -Ofast flag)

Enjoy faster framerates on ice.

So, while changing icon of the PND with the official one, I looked at optimised a bit FLAT. I first tried to reduce the artwork, but it didn't change the framerate, and everything with missplaced... bad idea. But, looking at the makefile, I sudenly realised I just missing the "-O" flag. I put all the "-mcpu=cortex-a8" etc..., but no optimisation flags. So I added a "-Ofast"... Et voilà, a build 50% faster !
Fantastic! In that case, I won't bother trimming down the assets (a 50% increase sounds like it'd bring the game up to a decent level of performance).

Out of interest, how easy/hard is it to skate backwards on the Open Pandora? That's a fairly key/helpful emergent gameplay style that makes combat heaps easier.

Fantastic! In that case, I won't bother trimming down the assets (a 50% increase sounds like it'd bring the game up to a decent level of performance).

Out of interest, how easy/hard is it to skate backwards on the Open Pandora? That's a fairly key/helpful emergent gameplay style that makes combat heaps easier.
Yes, don't resize artwork. Even 50% make it a bit too pixelate anyway. And yes, framerates are good now (30 FPS on gigahertz Pandora)

About skating backward, well, I havn't tried yet. I've just beggening to learn how to skate "fullspeed", with "Up"+skate... I guess skating backway is "Down"+skate. I will try.

I made it to the Dragon this time, but tdidn't get a chance to face it, the crowd of skater was too large for me... Next time maybe ;)

The real thing that is missing, beside a score (so I can submit it to c4a, the online hiscore submission mecanisme on the Pandora developped by skeezix), is some menu, with "new game", "quit game", thing like that :p

The real thing that is missing, beside a score (so I can submit it to c4a, the online hiscore submission mecanisme on the Pandora developped by skeezix), is some menu, with "new game", "quit game", thing like that :p
Ooh, I hadn't really thought about score stuff before. Feel free to create a new "issue" for that on GitHub if you're keen so that we can get some focused discussion going there.

Issue #11 on the GitHub repo is about getting some kind of out-of-game loop with a menu happening, so that's definitely on the todo list :)

Okay, I believe I've found out why this game and all those other things were segfaulting as soon as they opened.

I had followed a guide, Making Xfce Sexy, to install a custom theme. This involved installing a few packages - gtk-engines-murrine, libxcb1 and upgrading libc6 to 2.12, which orphaned another package (can't remember which one) and thus the orphaned package was removed by opkg.

The pnds in question (flat, asciiportal, libreoffice, super tux kart, etc) did not segfault after I had reflashed, but once I installed those packages to get the custom themes they went back to segfaulting as soon as they were opened. So I can deduce that it is most likely upgrading libc6 which is doing this (that or installing libxcb1 which I feel is less likely to be the cause).

Back