First Game/app On Your Pandora

tyicepaws said:
What is the first non-gaming app/program you want to run on the Pandora
and the first game your gonna load on the pandora

I have no idea really. There are so many choices. But Quake3 for a performance test is probably what I'm going to try. I just don't expect good fps. maybe 10-15.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will play amiga emulator first and take a look at the atari stuff.Starting with deliverance on the amiga.
The media player and net surfing at wi-fi hotspots etc.

most likely just knobbing around with the preinstalled stuff.
emu wise most likely arcade stuff that makes use of the whole screen. or psx emu

uname -a
ping -n 8.8.8.8
ssh -XC myname@192.168.1.42 pidgin &
apt-get install nethack
*lots of xmodmap commands here probably*
nethack

(then I will be sad if the dpad cannot register a diagonal as a distinct character)

I'm already getting an SD card ready with 2nd - 5th generation console Roms inside organized folders :)

tyicepaws said:
What is the first non-gaming app/program you want to run on the Pandora
and the first game your gonna load on the pandora

Totally getting Genesis on my Pandora.. and playing Comix Zone

I will be wanting to try out web browser + music playback at the same time ,mabe even online radio streaming while browsing to see if the Pandora can actuly do it reasonably fast without the music breaking up and the browser locking up.After that the only emulator that appeals to me is amiga as the touchscreen plus keyboard will make for ultimate contols ,never before has amiga been done like this on a portable.

After that i will want to push the Pandora as far as i can to see what it can and can't do as a basis to develop for it.

What was that back there..nethack something? Hmm, makes me think perhaps one of the first programs I run should be a antivirus type

what's the deal with Linux OS and Antivirus, would I need something for pandora or not really malicious sites out there target like they do windows OS?

Fzero said:
What was that back there..nethack something? Hmm, makes me think perhaps one of the first programs I run should be a antivirus type
Nethack is a roguelike game. ;) Here.

I'm dying to get QCAD running but I can't seem to compile anything for the life of me, so I'll probably start with PyRoom instead, and DOSBOX.

Fzero said:
what's the deal with Linux OS and Antivirus, would I need something for pandora or not really malicious sites out there target like they do windows OS?
Between decent web browsers and a lack of viruses even written for desktop Linux users, you do not need antivirus on a Linux system.
I don't even have anything on Windows, because I trust that Firefox and my personal judgement will keep out malware.

There's nothing worth seeing on malicious sites, and your browser is sandboxed enough to keep them contained if anything bad tries to get in.

Fzero said:
Due to corporate requirements, I might be porting ClamAV for the Pandora.
Not because I actually believe there's any chance of the Pandora getting a virus, but simply because policy says that any device with network connectivity and a general purpose OS must have an antivirus installed before it will be permitted on the office network.

chole said:
apt-get install nethack
Also, that won't work at all.
What you're looking for is
opkg install nethack
and even that won't work as well as you are hoping. Nethack isn't part of the Angstrom repositories. It's not even in the OpenEmbedded recipes. This should not be so as difficult as it is to acquire.
I'll download the source and try to get it running for you.

Back