Firmware Upgrade Compatible Cards And Faq

mr15 posted on Dec 7 2005 at 02:49 AM said:
hello ive been trying to update my firmware and finally got it to work on like the 40th try but this time i flipped the lock on on the sd card turned on system it stayed at the loading screen forever i only waitted there like 15 seconds then turned unit off flipped the lock off. then system on and it entered firmware screen and i know it worked because the battery light turned off.
tried the same, got the forever loading too after some tries, but after i put the lock back it booted as ever, deleting the img again :eek:

ah, and if i put the locked SD in the machine, the explorer doesn't see any file :p

Last edited by a moderator:
lucoxade posted on Dec 5 2005 at 06:25 PM said:
unlucky posted on Dec 5 2005 at 09:25 PM said:
i've been talking to some people #gp2xdev and #gp2x basically there needs to be a big sticky or message saying dont put gp2xboot.img on your sd basically because...
if uboot can update your firmware then it itself doesn't need updating. Those that need uboot updating cant update because er uboot doesn't work with their card. So if uboot is working already theres no point in updating it.
But if uboot doesn't update properly (because your updating it for no reason) your unit is bricked to the extent that most likely it will need to be sent back so there is honestly no point in gp2xboot.img unless you like playing with fire...
RIP various gp2x's that have died due to updating gp2xboot.img ;_;
Amen, I killed my GP2X that way.
Same here

I can confirm that the ATP brand 1gb 60x SD card works just fine for upgrading the firmware once you re-format it from it's default of FAT to FAT32.

Well, I loaded it up on my PNY 1GB and didn't see the Firmware Updating screen, but it seemed to delete the image. Instead of worrying I went ahead and ran the patch program. The screen went black for a while and it went back to the main menu. I went to Setting->Info and checked, and my version was 1.0.1. My guess is that it didn't update the kernel image, but did update the software (ebook viewer, mplayer, etc). Is that considered a success? :p

JyCet posted on Dec 9 2005 at 06:13 PM said:
PNY SD 512MB = doesnt work :(

Kingmax microSD 256MB = gp2x doesnt boot !

Kingmax microSD? microSD is different to regular SD right? so it could be dangerous to use?... (in terms of wrecking your gp2x).

Edit: Stupidity got the better of me, you used an adapter right? :blink:

Okay, I think it's time we got some actual data on what the problem is.

I have two Integral 1GB cards from GBAX.com, as well as a Kingston 1GB card for my camera.

I have purchased a Sandisk 512 as well.

I have borrowed friends and family members cards as well(three of which are on the working list in Original Post).

My computer boots to WinXP Home Edition SP2 as a primary OS, with Debian SID as secondary (Grub is boot-loader).

While not being a guru, I am not by any means computer illiterate.
GP2X info Version 1.0 S?N 2005.11.15 - GP2XV101 - 00000177
I have tried formatting under WinXP as FAT32 from right-click context menu, Computer management (which allows you to select alternate allocation units, btw) as well as command line utilities for both NT and DOS.

Under Linux, I have cfdisk /dev/sdb1 to create a type 0B Win95 FAT32 partition ( as well as 0C - Win95 FAT32 with LBA), followed by mkdosfs -v -F 32 /dev/sdb1.
{the sdb1 part of the above applies only to MY hardware - replace with what is appropriate for YOUR system}
Nothing I have tried will upgrade my firmware.

I have read the instructions from GPH, tried following that to the letter - no luck.

I have tried several of the suggestions in this thread (and others) such as booting without SD card, inserting card, reading card in explorer, then rebooting - no upgrade.

Also tried to use write protect tab trick - no upgrade.

The reason I wish to upgrade has nothing to do with video issues or joystick dead-zone.
It's battery life - I only get about 1 1/2 hours out of Energizer 2500mAh NiMH and 2200 mAh NiMH batteries.

GPH releasing firmware is only useful if you can actually upgrade said firmware.

BTW, I love this unit otherwise :D CPU speed selector + SNES emu without ASM core = what the doctor ordered, now to try Reesy's brainchild . . . :D :D :D

This is probably a rediculus thought but could we transfer the firmware upgrade to the nand and have the gp2x upgrade from there? Or does the update program only work from the /mnt/sd ?

we thought of it already, but the updater only looks on the SD and before mounting anything, so we gotta make a flashing software or script to flash from anywhere , maybe if we can only update u-boot we can make our cards to work better for future flashes :)

Did you try to copy the image files over to the /mnt/sd directory when it didn't have a card in the slot?

well don't, :) it does the same thing the unsupported SD cards do just gets rid of the images but doesn't update. :(

the flashing happens BEFORE mounting, so you can put whatever you want in /mnt , it will not exist at the flashing moment ;)

judge0 posted on Dec 10 2005 at 12:02 PM said:
It's battery life - I only get about 1 1/2 hours out of Energizer 2500mAh NiMH and 2200 mAh NiMH batteries.

I have the same batteries and they work for a lot longer than that. I am still using the original firmware btw.

Iorgy77 posted on Dec 10 2005 at 07:03 PM said:
judge0 posted on Dec 10 2005 at 12:02 PM said:

I have the same batteries and they work for a lot longer than that. I am still using the original firmware btw.

Update: Finally upgraded, borrowed a friend's Sandisk 1 GB, and instant update.

Only difference I can see between the cards is the reported cylinder count

Battery life from 2500 mAh is now close to 4 hrs - yeehaw :D

Back