Firmware Upgrade Compatible Cards And Faq

Jacxz posted on Dec 24 2005 at 02:23 PM said:
mattbakse posted on Dec 24 2005 at 06:34 AM said:
Can someone with the newest firmware try an A-Data 2GB card. That's all I've got and I don't have my GP2X yet cause I don't want to get it if my card doesn't work.
I works great... tried a bigger movie didn't go very well but i dont now if it's something wrong with the file maybe.. but the card works just fine :p :D
I love my Gp2x right now...
Since last firmware upgrade it's definetly 10/10.
and when i get my tv-out just WOW...

Cool that's nice to know, now I just need to contact GPH and have them send mine now. Well after christmas ofcoarse nobody ships on christmas. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
andejp12 posted on Dec 20 2005 at 04:40 PM said:
Okay I have a little to add, although I'm sure it's already been said I'm going to say it again.

Yesterday I decided to give the firmware upgrade a try. It didn't work. In fact the only thing that I gained was a broken video player. Today I was really worried that I'd be stuck with my 2x this way until the next firmware update.

This morning I decided to reformat my A-DATA 150x 1GB SD card. I formated it as a Fat32 volume and then I placed only the firmware files on the card. (Yesterday I tried only the files and nothing worked). I put it in the 2X and BAM firmware upgrade screen.

So what I'm saying is, if you've had anything on your SD card then reformat before upgrading firmware just in case. Also please add A-DATA 1GB cards to the list because I saw someone else was successful :)

It's great to have my video back!

Great to hear. I bought a A-DATA 150x 1GB SD card last week. Now I only need my GP2X to arrive :)

My A-DATA 2gb SD card I got from newegg works great with the latest 1.1.0 firmware. I put mame2x on it and the only negative thing is that with all those small rom files it filled up my SD card when I only put less than a gig of files on there. Wondering if I can format with a smaller cluster size and maybe squeeze more space out of it, it's kind of a waste having a 2 gig card with only a gig of stuff on it and it's full.

Well, I've jought received my SanDisk 512MB, and it doesn't work either. Does anyone actually know what's going on? I'm sick of throwing money away on this thing. :angry:

On the list of cards, two of mine are listed as compatible. The Integral 1GB that was supplied with the GP2X by Craigix, and the SanDisk 512MB I bought off eBay. I'm just about ready to throw this thing through the window. :angry:

zombie13 posted on Dec 29 2005 at 12:16 PM said:
Well, I've jought received my SanDisk 512MB, and it doesn't work either. Does anyone actually know what's going on? I'm sick of throwing money away on this thing. :angry:

On the list of cards, two of mine are listed as compatible. The Integral 1GB that was supplied with the GP2X by Craigix, and the SanDisk 512MB I bought off eBay. I'm just about ready to throw this thing through the window. :angry:
Send it to me.

invokebane posted on Dec 27 2005 at 09:50 PM said:
Same here, A-DATA 150x 2GB SD card from NEWEGG.COM works great.  Was $30 cheaper then gp32z.com from newegg.

My 1gb A-DATA should be arriving soon from newegg, was only $51, hopefully I have the same luck. I've only heard good things about them so far, so... *fingers crossed*

HOT DAMN! I recieved an email from NEWEGG this morning, saying that my sd card shipped out yesterday. I got home from work to find that it had arrived this morning... BEFORE I recieved the shipment email. Wow, now that is 3 day shipping! Oh, and my mistake... I forgot I changed to a Ridata 66X card at the last minute after reading the compatibility guide on the dev wiki. ;)

isnt it just possible to launch the firmware as per the readme ?? like, load up the gp2x, go into game folder, and execute it that way ?

Ive tried the test.gpe file, screen went black instantly and never came back on (like 10mins i left it) so i didnt bother flashing with the real firmware..

any progress on this as yet ?

Has the SD cmp list been updated since the new 1.1.0 fw update?

Since im thinking of buying a 1gb kingstin since they are cheap :) and it seems to be on the unworking list.

I had many problems to upgrade the firmware.
Now I solved all using a card reader.

I've written a descriptive page, as well as some explanations
HERE.

Hope this will be usefull.

Since this is one of the hottest topics with the GP2X, I decided to throw in my experience with the FW upgrade, from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0:

Formate this card (Ridata 1gb 66x) to FAT32 under windows xp using this card reader (link depot), installed the latest FW 1.1.0. Inserted freshly charged batteries and and the SD card and it updated fast, ran the software patch and viola! no problems. Followed this user guide from the archive. If you're in the US, you can't go wrong ordering from newegg.com, my card arrived in 1 day and the card reader in two, now that is fast 3 day shipping... but that is probably more a tribute to UPS.

Hope this helps someone, good luck.

Drak posted on Dec 31 2005 at 05:43 AM said:
Has the SD cmp list been updated since the new 1.1.0 fw update?

Since im thinking of buying a 1gb kingstin since they are cheap :) and it seems to be on the unworking list.
No it seams like it haven't been updated...

Though this list is for those with firmware 1.0.1 if you got FW 1.1.0 most of the cards should work. Like my 2gb A-data works great. But I had too use a 256mb Kingmax to update the firmware. I PM'ed this topics author and told him to ad the 256mb Kingmax dont now if he did though.
Dont now if you're able to update without SD card you might be able then someone plz ad that info here....

Does any one know if the RiDATA 150x 2GB SD card works with the 1.1.0 firmware?

And what is a good upgrading card to use?

I had tried, before reading that it was a bad idea, upgrading the firmware with a 1GB PNY SD card with no success. I eventually went to a local RiteAid drug store and bought a 128MB Sandisk Shoot & Store SD card for $17.00 USD and it worked like a charm... I then threw it into it's case and put the 1GB card back in for normal operation; I'll keep the 128 for future firmware upgrades and as a general backup. At any rate, I can recommend the 128MB Shoot & Store SD card from Sandisk.

i haven't got my GP2X, but i ordered a viking 1gb card before reading this thread. bummer. until.. i realised my sister has a digital camera with a 128mb sd card, from jessops (a camera store here in the UK). i'm buying a card reader tomorrow, and will try to update from the out-of-the-box firmware to the latest with this 128mb sd card. i'll post the results here.

having said that, does anyone know if gbax preflash firmware to the latest version for you?

i haven't got my GP2X, but i ordered a viking 1gb card before reading this thread. bummer. until.. i realised my sister has a digital camera with a 128mb sd card, from jessops (a camera store here in the UK). i'm buying a card reader tomorrow, and will try to update from the out-of-the-box firmware to the latest with this 128mb sd card. i'll post the results here.

having said that, does anyone know if gbax preflash firmware to the latest version for you?

They didn't for mine, which came yesterday.

Edit: But I updated my firmware - with Rob Browns updater from a Panasonic 128MB card (obviously FAT32 formatted) :D Very pleased, it all looks good.

Even risked it from batteries - they were freshly cooked 2600 mAh (Vapextech). Will pick up a PSU this weekend though.

Sandisk 1gb Ultra ll does not work with my unit allthough listed on thw working list,

my other 2 256mb ones i tried Centrios, and PNY work fine.

The Card i have is labeled a Kingston 1GB although on the back Toshiba is printed in ink. I received my gp2x with the 1.2.0 Firmware loaded on it and after many formats through my internal card reader in my notebook i still could not see the card period. I could add files to the card in windows but nothing visable at all on the card. I attempted to upgrade firmware to 1.2.1 but it still would not recognize my card. I found the firmware file that was released in late november and after adding the files to my sd card i successfully downgraded to it 1.0.1. After this i could see my sdCard without a problem. I then put the files from the 1.2.1 on the card and successfully upgraded the unit to 1.2.1 and have full functionality of the newest firmware. Hope this helps any one else who may have the same probs, i'd already convinced myself the card wasnt going to work and ordered one, now ill have to cancel it woohoo.

Nugsolot

The Card i have is labeled a Kingston 1GB although on the back Toshiba is printed in ink. I received my gp2x with the 1.2.0 Firmware loaded on it and after many formats through my internal card reader in my notebook i still could not see the card period. I could add files to the card in windows but nothing visable at all on the card. I attempted to upgrade firmware to 1.2.1 but it still would not recognize my card. I found the firmware file that was released in late november and after adding the files to my sd card i successfully downgraded to it 1.0.1. After this i could see my sdCard without a problem. I then put the files from the 1.2.1 on the card and successfully upgraded the unit to 1.2.1 and have full functionality of the newest firmware. Hope this helps any one else who may have the same probs, i'd already convinced myself the card wasnt going to work and ordered one, now ill have to cancel it woohoo.

Nugsolot
wow.. sounds tricky lol, im just going to exchange it :p hopefully

I got a PNY 1GB card and it was working fine straight out of the box. Later that day it just stopped working. I can still see and read the files on my card reader but its invisible on the gp2x. I formatted it and no luck. It's on the list of not working cards but is that only for firmware? Also, why would it work in the morning and not later that day? I'm confused, I think I should just try and return the card, but if there is a fix please let me know.

edit: my firmware is version 1.2.0, I read the previous post which suggested downgrading and reupgrading, bt I'm suspcious because it did work at a time.

Back