Firmware Upgrade Compatible Cards And Faq

That's weird.

I ordered my GP2X from GPZ and it's 2005.11.18

Everyone here seems to have 2005.11.14?

Hmmm. Thats the updated run in the factory. It just saved you the trouble of updating the FW. I think 1.0.1 has BETTER compatability with SD cards and stuff, i dunno.

PSyMastR posted on Dec 2 2005 at 05:55 AM said:
I think 1.0.1 has BETTER compatability with SD cards and stuff, i dunno.

It does, I bought two viking cards before I got my GP2x and when I tried to update it didn't work. I've since borrowed a Scandisk one from a mate, and it updated fine.

In error I put my Viking card in unit with .img file still on it.....and it updated..again.

So now we know the Viking cards work with 1.0.1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to update the firmware from 1.00 to 1.01 without a problem. I read many posts of the forums while waiting for my gp2x to arrive. Thanks!!!

My unit is from the 3rd production run (102). My sd card if RiDATA 1GB pro 66x ( I bought it from www.newegg.com ). I did a full format using the built in sd card reader in my win xp home pc (to fat 32). I had other files on the card also. And it does say firmware v1.01 both on the green loading screen and on the info screen.

And I used an AC adapter that I bought from Walmart. It's a universal one that goes from 3 volts to 12. and it supples 1300 mah. It works great!

I hope that this information helps some.

But I'm having problems with batteries. Alkaline batteries will only work for about 2 minutes when brand new. I tried some Nimh batteries that I had (2300mah) but they didn't work at all.

I bought some Energizer 2500mah and I am charging them up now, hoping that they work. The 2300mah that I have are a cheep brand and I'm hoping that they just aren't putting out the volts and amps that they are rated to.

I know that NiMH batteries are only 1.2volts. Are there 1.5volt ones? Cause you lose that .6 volts when you use rechargables and perhaps the GP2x needs that extra .6 volts.

Any suggestions?

Update: The new batteries aren't working either. I get the same thing that I get with the other battteries. It starts out with a white screen and then slowly goes to colored up and down bars.

check the battery contacts to check they don't have a white coating on them? (this was reported by some of the first korean users)

abigsmurf posted on Dec 2 2005 at 09:14 PM said:
check the battery contacts to check they don't have a white coating on them? (this was reported by some of the first korean users)

Thanks,

But sorry, I forgot to mention: That was the first thing I did.

TripHamer posted on Dec 3 2005 at 12:38 AM said:
Update: The new batteries aren't working either. I get the same thing that I get with the other battteries. It starts out with a white screen and then slowly goes to colored up and down bars.

I had this problem too, but it turned out it was because my batteries were 'Digital' batteries. If your batteries have the word 'digital' written on them, they won't work. You need to get photo batteries. I don't really know enough about it to explain why, but my new digital batteries work fine. I bought them on eBay and they were these type.

well I've tried everything I could see here and no dice. This is retarded as it should be no where near this hard so I suppose I'll have to wait and hope GPH notices that everyone is having a bitch of a time upgrading and many are flat out failing and write some proper util to do it rahter than depending on some ultra flakey boot loader that seems to be failing. rar. Oh well, most things do work (quake music) so I'm good for a bit.

haplo posted on Dec 3 2005 at 02:16 AM said:
well I've tried everything I could see here and no dice.

Me too. My only hope left is to try as many different computers as possible (see this post. I have tried 2 so far and no luck.

I cancelled my order for a PNY 256MB SD card as I had heard they weren't so compatible.

I managed to find a Sandisk 128MB from ebay for £7.50. Guess what? It worked straight away and I have the new firmware installed :D

I just successfully updated my firmware.

The card I used is a 128 megabyte M+ My Media SD card. For all you people in the UK, I just bought it from Tescos for £9.99 (reduced from £14.99).

This is the fourth card I have tried and this is the only one to work. I used exactly the same method to prepare this card as the other three i.e. format to FAT32 format using my internal card reader running under Windows XP. I copied all the files from the firmware zip file to the SD card.

Thankfully applying the firmware hasn't produced any of the screen flicker others have mentioned. In fact, I would say my screen looks ever so slightly richer and brighter.

darryl_bartlett posted on Dec 3 2005 at 03:15 PM said:
Me too, had to buy a 128MB Sandisk to have it work. My 1GB Integral (which is really a Toshiba with a sticker on it) didn't do the trick (however it was partitioned).

darryl_bartlett posted on Dec 3 2005 at 02:15 PM said:

The card I used is a 128 megabyte M+ My Media SD card. For all you people in the UK, I just bought it from Tescos for £9.99 (reduced from £14.99).
Just got one of these and it worked first time, thanks for the tip. :D

For the record my 1Gb Sandisk failed every time, so the compatability lists aren't definitive, it obviously depends on more than just the make of card whether the firmware upgrade works or not.

I've got a success story to tell.

I have a SD Elite Pro 1 gb kingston (50x) sd card that I bought specifically for the gp2x.

I tried and I tried, at least 12 times to upgrade the unit with this card. It would never take.

I just got back from sams club and bought a lexar 1gb card (card has no other identifiers). Formatted it in winxp using regular format, and dropped the firmware upgrade contents on the card.

I put it in, expecting nothing to happen, and it immediately went to firmware upgrade screen. About 5-10 secs later, I'm upgraded.

Oscaruzzo posted on Dec 3 2005 at 02:08 PM said:
darryl_bartlett posted on Dec 3 2005 at 03:15 PM said:
Me too, had to buy a 128MB Sandisk to have it work. My 1GB Integral (which is really a Toshiba with a sticker on it) didn't do the trick (however it was partitioned).

Hello, same here, but my Integral card wasn't partitioned, just slightly corrupted when I forgot to use the Safe Removal in WinXP. :unsure:

Back