Firmware Upgrade Compatible Cards And Faq

i am waiting for my Gp2x and i dont have a sd-card,so i should get one...

should i buy SANDISK or something else?to upgrade and so on...

PS:1 gb

mystery posted on Dec 12 2005 at 11:04 PM said:
i am waiting for my Gp2x and i dont have a sd-card,so i should get one...

should i buy SANDISK or something else?to upgrade and so on...

PS:1 gb
I have a kingston 1GB and its very nice, but it doesn't work with the firmware upgrades, so you should probably go for a brand that is reported to work (i believe sandisk is supposed to work...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 3 different sandisk cards and none of them work:) is there not a better way yet

Cyclops posted on Dec 14 2005 at 06:07 PM said:
I have 3 different sandisk cards and none of them work:) is there not a better way yet
that sucks.....

I am hoping to pick up a cheap 256MB SD card sometime so I can upgrade. Maybe someone who's really nice and has an extra SD card that CAN upgrade the firmware would lend it to those who can't upgrade. Sure, it would take awhile and I guess its possible someone steals it but I think it could work. Maybe the official sellers could send us a small card (128MB or so, but guaranteed to work) to upgrade our firmware with and either make us pay a minimal fee for it or make us send it back... They could find a card that works and then purchase them in bulk, they probably would cost about $10-20 each and would be guaranteed to work.

Cyclops posted on Dec 14 2005 at 11:07 AM said:
Make sure that the cards are formatted using FAT32, the one I got was formatted as plain FAT.

So the cards that are not working...they only dont work for firmware upgrades right? or do they just not work all together?

Usually the cards that will not work with upgrading firmware work fine for all other uses in the GP2X.

I'm waiting patiently until the devs come up with a better solution for upgrading the firmware. EvilDragon and craigix have mentioned it is coming soon.

So wait I'm confused, do you have to have a card reader to upgrade your firmware?
I'll have a card writer, but if your stuck with the console and usb cord, can you upgrade that way?

I hope this is no doublepost, but there seem to be some problems with the Linux formatting-tools (mkdosfs): I have a Sandisc 1GB card and formated it under Debian several times but it wasn't recognized from th GP2X to update the firmware (everything else worked great!). Then I formated it under Windows XP and the upgrade finally worked!!

Does anyone know if the upcoming firmware works with all SD cards? Cause this is the biggest issue for me. None of the 4 cards I own work. Also the Carigx and Evildragon solution, will if be a case of going the to the utils menu and manualy selecting the firmware file and upgrading that way?

I’m betting that the next firmware release will make future firmware releases much easier, but that doesn’t do a bit of good to the people who can’t update in the first place.

Goity posted on Dec 18 2005 at 01:10 PM said:
I canna be assed to look through this thread, do 7dayshops cards work?

I would also like to know this and I bet there are a few others too.

Okay I have a little to add, although I'm sure it's already been said I'm going to say it again.

Yesterday I decided to give the firmware upgrade a try. It didn't work. In fact the only thing that I gained was a broken video player. Today I was really worried that I'd be stuck with my 2x this way until the next firmware update.

This morning I decided to reformat my A-DATA 150x 1GB SD card. I formated it as a Fat32 volume and then I placed only the firmware files on the card. (Yesterday I tried only the files and nothing worked). I put it in the 2X and BAM firmware upgrade screen.

So what I'm saying is, if you've had anything on your SD card then reformat before upgrading firmware just in case. Also please add A-DATA 1GB cards to the list because I saw someone else was successful :)

It's great to have my video back!

Can someone with the newest firmware try an A-Data 2GB card. That's all I've got and I don't have my GP2X yet cause I don't want to get it if my card doesn't work.

mattbakse posted on Dec 24 2005 at 06:34 AM said:
Can someone with the newest firmware try an A-Data 2GB card. That's all I've got and I don't have my GP2X yet cause I don't want to get it if my card doesn't work.
I works great... tried a bigger movie didn't go very well but i dont now if it's something wrong with the file maybe.. but the card works just fine :p :D
I love my Gp2x right now...
Since last firmware upgrade it's definetly 10/10.
and when i get my tv-out just WOW...

Back