Firmware Upgrade Compatible Cards And Faq

well, i have only ONE 512Mo card, and ONE cardreader, i hope it'll be ok :D

edit: it is not :D

dane elec 512M , tested with one HP printer's built-in cardreader with win2000 and XP, no linux yet

i've been talking to some people #gp2xdev and #gp2x basically there needs to be a big sticky or message saying dont put gp2xboot.img on your sd basically because...
if uboot can update your firmware then it itself doesn't need updating. Those that need uboot updating cant update because er uboot doesn't work with their card. So if uboot is working already theres no point in updating it.
But if uboot doesn't update properly (because your updating it for no reason) your unit is bricked to the extent that most likely it will need to be sent back so there is honestly no point in gp2xboot.img unless you like playing with fire...
RIP various gp2x's that have died due to updating gp2xboot.img ;_;

unlucky posted on Dec 5 2005 at 09:25 PM said:
i've been talking to some people #gp2xdev and #gp2x basically there needs to be a big sticky or message saying dont put gp2xboot.img on your sd basically because...
if uboot can update your firmware then it itself doesn't need updating. Those that need uboot updating cant update because er uboot doesn't work with their card. So if uboot is working already theres no point in updating it.
But if uboot doesn't update properly (because your updating it for no reason) your unit is bricked to the extent that most likely it will need to be sent back so there is honestly no point in gp2xboot.img unless you like playing with fire...
RIP various gp2x's that have died due to updating gp2xboot.img ;_;
Amen, I killed my GP2X that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
DijiTao posted on Dec 5 2005 at 08:00 PM said:
You can add 256MB DANE-ELEC to the working list.

but my 512Mo dane elec doesn't work, tried formatting with Xp, 2000, linux, no results :/ but it works in the explorer, unlike someone's 1Go dane-elec, who isn't recognized anywhere ! :huh:

so wait. you're saying that if I've used say two SD cards for a few hours and cannot get the kernel to update that I need to send my GP2X back? because it won't update? There's no other way to update the kerenel?

It should be possible to update the boot loader without using the boot loader. Then once the boot loader is updated to support your sd card the boot loader can be used to update the kernel.

DijiTao posted on Dec 6 2005 at 01:13 AM said:
It should be possible to update the boot loader without using the boot loader.

yep, "SHOULD"

aaaaaah i miss my GP32 :p

My faith in GPH producing a quality Linux implimentation is quite low. I have high hopes that one day a user created Linux 2.6 based system will be possible.

i have tryed to update several times and all i got was a gp2x that says its updated but realy is not it changed the V. to 1.0.1 but didn't update the kernel ooo well oo and just to note i tryed a pny 256 and 512 in a fat32 format and a sandisk 128 with no luck.

so how would one update the boot loader without the bootloader?
i really dont want to have to ship this perfectly good hardware around the world because of some lame ass software issue

haplo posted on Dec 6 2005 at 10:16 AM said:
so how would one update the boot loader without the bootloader?

with a little flashing software, kinda like BIOS flashers on PC, or the GP32's firmware updater, etc ;)

well, can someone write a script that can do it?

There's now a terminal emulator out for the gp2x (slow text entry but fully working)
I've been poking around but it seems the root partition only usues 24M of the nand and the kernel and boot loader dont seem to be there. If we locate them on the nand (mayb e reding uboot code?) then can we flash it with `dd` or

EDIT:
Would the u-boot file: boards/mmsp2dtk/flash.c be the right file?

Code:
#define MEM_FLASH_ADDR1         (*(volatile u16 *)(CFG_FLASH_BASE + (0x00000555 << 1)))
#define MEM_FLASH_ADDR2         (*(volatile u16 *)(CFG_FLASH_BASE + (0x000002AA << 1)))

that helpful at all?

Did not work (froze on loading screen):
Dane-Elec 512MB (can read files)
Kingston 512MB (cannot read files)
Canon 16MB (act of desperation)

Did work:
Sandisk 1GB

Formatted to FAT32 in xp, copied kernel file first, then the rest of the files minus the boot file and finally firmware upgraded in a few seconds. Ran the patch and I'm set.

so haplo, which is your favorite book in the series? or is your name a coincidence?

hello ive been trying to update my firmware and finally got it to work on like the 40th try but this time i flipped the lock on on the sd card turned on system it stayed at the loading screen forever i only waitted there like 15 seconds then turned unit off flipped the lock off. then system on and it entered firmware screen and i know it worked because the battery light turned off.

Back