Release Firefox 8.0 beta 3

So how does this Firefox 8b3 perform compared to the Firefox 6.pnd?

I still wait for a fixed Firefox pnd. I really wonder why Firefox 8 acts so different on the Pandora than all the older ports, I never had such problems with them. Damn rights Management, I really don't need this on my Pandora. :(

I guess about the fact that Firefox 8beta can't write/read work ... whatever for the most people so there seems to be some trouble with missing rights in combination with the appdata folder for these operations? :unsure:

I tried out the revised beta last night, I keep getting an error message telling me the Firefox session cannot start, as there is already a session running (even though it isn't). Anyone seen this before?

I tried out the revised beta last night, I keep getting an error message telling me the Firefox session cannot start, as there is already a session running (even though it isn't). Anyone seen this before?

Happens for me (HF6) as well with the revised beta PND.

I guess about the fact that Firefox 8beta can't write/read work ... whatever for the most people so there seems to be some trouble with missing rights in combination with the appdata folder for these operations? :unsure:

No, the problem is with FireFox.

I've ported the very first version, and I had to make some hacks to get it working.

Basically, when you start FireFox, it creates a session file and sets certain permissions to it.

The Linux version doesn't expect to run on FAT32, as no Linux uses FAT32.

Therefore, if you use the Linux version with a FAT32 card, it can't set the permissions.

The real fix would be to remove that directly in the sourcecode.

My solution back then was a very evil hack:

Code:
ln -s /mnt/utmp/firefox/settings/ ~/.mozilla
./firefox
rm ~/.mozilla

With this hacked code, FireFox places the session file in /mnt/utmp/firefox/settings/ , which is a Linux overlay file system.

It created a symbolic link on your SD Card each time you started it and then removed it again.

I did the same with Fennec. However, with the new pnd_run-script that moves $HOME away from home ;) , it probably doesn't work anymore as well.

[/CODE]

I understand. I hope there will be a useful Fix for the new Firefox as well. I really want to try this FF Version, since from FF7 up, Mozilla made some optimizing that could also speed up the Browser on the Pandora. :)

"$HOME away from home"? Funny. I only updated the Hotfix over the PND updater but except Firefox, all programs still work like before, even the ones that still use the NAND home directory to store Data. Good work. ^^

are there any new versions of fennec? or even the android version of firefox fullscreen without the application bar at the top like in out fennic version.

Mmmm - I think that his point was that the last version that "worked" was FireFox 5.

FF6 wouldn't work with gmail and other sites.

FF7 doesn't exist.

I have no trouble with FF6 but I'm always for new and improved Versions of Software. :)

There should be more general Browser Updates for the Pandora in the Future. Fennec was already mentioned but I also think that the Chromium Version available for the Pandora is more or less Antique. ;)

Stuff like this is perfect for the DEV FUND, which still exists I hope. All the "basic" Software on the Pandora should be kept up-to-date, at least if it gives improvements. :)

cant things be sent back up stream so that these browsers can just be compiled with a make file for pandora?

From what I remember when using Firefox on the Pandora, just delete the folder from pandora/appdata and it will be fine.

From what I remember when using Firefox on the Pandora, just delete the folder from pandora/appdata and it will be fine.
You are correct, however what is fatally buggy about this latest release is that without the appdata folder Firefox complains that no user profile exists then just quits. The turnkey fallback to restoration of original functionality is broken here because original functionality does not exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

I get the exact same error message.

AFAIK firefox determines if another instance is already running by checking for a file/link named "lock".

Code:
ls -l /media/trans8/pandora/appdata/hdonk_firefox_001/.mozilla/firefox/fafu0elh.default/lock

lrwxrwxrwx 1 lomaxx lomaxx 15 Oct 29 09:37 /media/trans8/pandora/appdata/hdonk_firefox_001/.mozilla/firefox/fafu0elh.default/lock -> 127.0.0.1:+1489

Does this maybe for some reason exist in your appfolder even when firefox is not running? If so, then you could try to delete it (as root if necessary), but maybe post your "ls -l"-output before removing it. Might be helpful for analyzing the reason. You could also check the accordant subfolders of ~/.mozilla for such a file.

I thought about the pnd and firefox.sh-script again and i wondered why the pnd comes with a .mozilla-folder at all. Firefox creates this on his own, if it doesn't exist. Are there any plugins that come with the pnd? And about the script ... let me list the script again first:

Code:
!/bin/sh

if [ \! -e .mozilla ]; then

if [ -e ${HOME}/.mozilla ]; then

cp -a ${HOME}/.mozilla .

if [ $? \!\= 0 ]; then

zenity --error --title="Problem" \

--text "Copy of old settings had errors. Trying anyway!" --timeout 6

#    	exit 1

fi

mv ${HOME}/.mozilla ${HOME}/.mozilla-old

fi

fi

export HOME=`pwd`

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${HOME}/lib/`ls lib/`

./bin/firefox

Am I wrong or is the whole IF-clause unnecessary? The new pnd_run sets HOME to the appdata/utmp-folder before the script is run. So since the PND comes with a .mozilla-folder by default, this folder will always be found and the IF-clause will never run through.

I made another test and removed the .mozilla-folder from the pnd and for now complete removed the IF-clause from the startscript. I also removed my appdata-firefox-folder to start like with a fresh install and tried to run the pnd and it works nicely for me. Also youtube and kongregate worked - too slow as usual, but it worked.

You can download the pnd here if you want, but remember to move away or delete the old pnd first:

<EDIT: Link removed>

If the startscript still wants to copy over a possible existing .mozilla-folder, then it needs an IF clause that checks for the folder "$(cat /tmp/currentuser)/.mozilla" and at the same time better checks if $HOME/.mozilla does not exist - after setting HOME to "." in case someone is running the PND on an older HF.

Back