Release Firefox 8.0 beta 3

Exactly. Every somewhat reliable tech news site reported months ago that Mozilla was going to do a version sprint because they thought the noob users might think FF was inferior compared to other browsers just because of the lower version number.
Lol, that's so stupid. :lol: Most Users are no idiots and for me as "experienced" user, the huge Version Number Jumps of Firefox are more confusing than a normal Number increase would be. For me, the first Version Number is a major branch Number and unless something major change, it should be kept.

I'd love a clear justification of this Firefox insanity. Catching up to the competition seems plausible, but if you need a higher version number to sell your product, then it's probably not worth a damn... in my experience, Firefox has been losing ground to Chrome (which is now my browser of choice) and they seem to have lost their way severely from the original glory days.

The stupid, convention breaking version number rush has become something of a joke in the office.

I don't know if the problem has been resolved, but this updated Pandora firefox works fine for me. I use a FAT32 SD card and it seemed to cause no trouble.

Thanks, anyway, for the update! Might start using it now.

yeah it might work fine if you didnt delete your appdata directory, but I did and it caused this issue.

Getting the same error on ext3. Permissions in appdata are a complete mess, but as far as I have seen files either belong to my user, or to root and are world read-/writable.

Seems that it doesn't actually want to go to the profile dir. Running firefox.sh manually with an strace attached I get:

Code:
access("/mnt/utmp/firefox-8/.mozilla/firefox", F_OK) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

mkdir("/mnt/utmp/firefox-8/.mozilla/firefox", 0700) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

write(2, "Error: Access was denied while t"..., 79) = 79

...it tries to create a profile in the current directory on the loopback filesystem?

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah it might work fine if you didnt delete your appdata directory, but I did and it caused this issue.

I restired my old appdata directory, and still get the same error message. I then reinstalled the olde v6 PND, and that works fine with no issues,,,

It's weird - I haven't changed the startup script, which sets the HOME env to the current directory and therefore tries to create the .profile there. When that script is run, the pwd is supposed to be the appdata dir, not the loopback dir... Or has something changed?

It's weird - I haven't changed the startup script, which sets the HOME env to the current directory and therefore tries to create the .profile there. When that script is run, the pwd is supposed to be the appdata dir, not the loopback dir... Or has something changed?
Hm, as the sudo calls in pnd_run.sh prevent pnd_run from running under strace, I manually mounted the pnd file (*), changed to the loopback mount point and called ./firefox.sh from there. So maybe that's my fault, and different from what pnd_run does?

But at the end of firefox.sh, you run "./bin/firefox", which I assume only works if pwd is the top level directory of the loopback mount?

(*) using /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /pandora/menu/firefox-8.b.3-2.pnd

Hm, HF6 Final changed the $HOME in the pnd_run-script...

AFAIK, it has been added that it automatically sets the $HOME to the appdata dir, so that any app that wants to write to the home in NAND can't do so.

Maybe that affects this script as well?

Negative.

I just upgraded and ran.

BTW, any chance to have the old firefox .pnd back online until the bug is fixed ?

Great, so this works for some people. For those it doesn't, the problems occur with FAT32, EXT2/3, with and without deleting the existing profile, before and after HF6... Anyone spot a pattern yet!?!

AFAIK, it has been added that it automatically sets the $HOME to the appdata dir, so that any app that wants to write to the home in NAND can't do so.

Maybe that affects this script as well?
The original home directory is available in $REAL_HOME if I remember correctly.

Off-topic, but has it been discussed to add the original username to the appdata dir so the system potentially gets usable by several people?

I have the problem with the cannot load profile thingie, too.

There is no appdata or other firefoxpnd left on my pandora.

By manually mounting the pnd and starting firefox with the -P parameter, I was able to create a profile on my sdcard and run it.

After unmounting it and starting it through the menu, the error occurs again.

This makes me think it could indeed be a problem with the new pndrun script.

I remember there also could be some bits of Firefox on the NAND, you have to search for a Firefox or Mozilla directory, maybe if you also delete this stuff, a fresh, clean Firefox install works?

IMHO the problem is based on the ownership of files. First as an example the directory-listing of the mounted midori-pnd:

Code:
lomaxx@lompado:/mnt/utmp/midori$ ls -la

total 33

drwxrwxrwx 13 root   root   4096 Oct 24 10:41 .

drwxr-xr-x  3 root   root   4096 Oct 24 10:41 ..

-rw-r--r--  1 lomaxx lomaxx 1157 Oct 11 11:44 PXML.xml

drwxr-xr-x  2 lomaxx lomaxx   29 Oct 10 02:25 bin

drwxr-xr-x  3 lomaxx lomaxx   26 Oct 15 07:56 etc

-rw-r--r--  1 lomaxx lomaxx 2701 May 21 01:26 icon.png

drwxr-xr-x  3 lomaxx lomaxx   33 Oct 15 07:56 include

drwxr-xr-x  2 lomaxx lomaxx   29 Oct 10 02:25 init

drwxr-xr-x  5 lomaxx lomaxx  940 Oct 10 02:27 lib

drwxr-xr-x  4 lomaxx lomaxx 4096 Oct 24 10:42 midori

drwxr-xr-x  2 lomaxx lomaxx 4096 Jul 12 19:51 plugins

-rw-------  1 lomaxx lomaxx  218 Oct 18 22:58 recently-used.xbel

-rwxr-xr-x  1 lomaxx lomaxx  385 Oct 11 11:41 run

drwxr-xr-x  9 lomaxx lomaxx  126 Oct 15 07:56 share

-rw-r--r--  1 lomaxx lomaxx   29 Jul 12 19:34 swfdec-mozilla.conf

drwx------  3 lomaxx lomaxx 4096 Oct 18 20:08 webkit

Now in contrast to this the listing of firefox:

Code:
lomaxx@lompado:/mnt/utmp/hdonk_firefox_001$ ls -la

total 44

drwxrwxrwx 8 root root  4096 Oct 24 10:39 .

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  4096 Oct 24 10:39 ..

drwx------ 4  500  501  4096 Oct 23 15:43 .mozilla

-rwxr-xr-x 1  500  501  1540 Oct 22 21:47 PXML.xml

drwxr-xr-x 2  500  501  2048 Oct 22 17:47 bin

-rwxr-xr-x 1  500  501   413 Oct 22 21:45 firefox.sh

-rwxr-xr-x 1  500  501 25121 Oct 22 17:46 firefox_icon.png

drwxr-xr-x 3  500  501  2048 Oct 22 17:47 lib

I tried yesterday to change the ownership with "chown -R lomaxx:lomaxx /mnt/utmp/hdonk_firefox_001/*", which takes VERY long as all files of the pnd are being changed and thus copied to the appdata-folder. But so far I still didn't manage to make firefox start.

In addition to changing the ownership I think it would be a good idea to change the rights of the ".mozilla"-folder. As you can see above, directories usually have "drwxr-xr-x" and not just "drwx------".

"chmod go+rx /mnt/utmp/hdonk_firefox_001/.mozilla" changes that". In ".mozilla" there are more folders with those rights.

But even if I do this, the error is present.

I now managed to make it run by changing the "firefox.sh"-startscript in the pnd as follows:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ \! -e .mozilla ]; then

if [ -e ${HOME}/.mozilla ]; then

cp -a ${HOME}/.mozilla .

if [ $? \!\= 0 ]; then

zenity --error --title="Problem" \

--text "Copy of old settings had errors. Trying anyway!" --timeout 6

#    	exit 1

fi

mv ${HOME}/.mozilla ${HOME}/.mozilla-old

fi

fi

#export HOME=`pwd`

#export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${HOME}/lib/`ls lib/`

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$(pwd)/lib/`ls lib/`

./bin/firefox

Note: This is not the solution, but just pointing to where to look for the problem. With these changes the mozilla-settings are stored to your home-directory (and thus to NAND if you are booting from NAND)

I just noticed that i didn't mention my HF-status so far:

Code:
cat /etc/op-version

Tag Name: Release-2010-05/1

GIT-VERSION: 2f78a52683e5e5ca5e679f7c718a0723064daf2d

Branch: master

Version: 1.6.0.4 - R1 Codename Zaxxon, Hotfix 6, Alpha 4

Image Builder: notaz@pithos.open-pandora.org

Time Stamp: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 03:44:56 +0200

Base Image Name: pandora-xfce-image

Back