Release Firefox 6.0

It's currently linking... Which takes a while!

I'll do 7.0.1 when I get the source - might be a few days.

Of course. Our Chromium is fairly recent, though. Remember that Chromium is an open source, though stripped-down version of Google Chrome. For instance, even the PC versions don't have Flash by default.

Im pretty sure you can get builds of chromium with flash built in, i would think the only difference with chrome and chromium is chrome is probably much more stable.

Actually, the only real difference is that Chrome adds some small extras, including auto-updates, Google branding, a built-in PDF viewer, and bundling of Flash Player.

As a side note, Chromium isn't "stripped-down". Chromium is what Google Chrome is built from.

I know, but I still stand by Chromium being stripped down, if only modestly so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm building directly on the Pandora.

Unfortunately the first pass of 7.0.1 segfaults on running...

I'll keep chugging away.

still a Chance for other language support? I always thougt FF was multi lingual, at least on PC it always installed the german version in my case.

Still not got a debug build. Still trying!
Could you poste a guide regarding what you do to port firefox? This way someone else (possibly me...) might have a look at what is going on and be able to help and/or try to get a crosscompiler setup working for building firefox (should be *significantly* faster!).

Main difference between Chrome and Chromium is that Chromium is stripped of all 'features' and code that report your browsing habits and behaviour back to Google.

Main difference between Chrome and Chromium is that Chromium is stripped of all 'features' and code that report your browsing habits and behaviour back to Google.

They're not stripped, though. They're added to Google Chrome. Actually, I don't know of the features you're talking about, but I do know that Chrome has an auto-update mechanism (Chromium doesn't) and that Chrome includes Flash out-of-the-box. Not really anything major, though, that's true. In any case, these are additions to Chromium, not removals from Chrome. Chrome is based off of Chromium, not the other way around.

Hm... I get the feeling that by the time we have Firefox 7 on the Pandora, Firefox 8 will be out.

Anyone else think the Firefox team's decision to inflate the major version number was a silly one? I mean, they could still have the rapid releases, but the current version would be 4.3 instead of 7.0. Version numbering is a joke with Firefox now....

because its still behind IE9. everyone knows bigger number=bigger win

because its still behind IE9. everyone knows bigger number=bigger win

Of course. IE6 is SO much better than FF3. :lol:

On a more serious note, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that IE has a bigger version number because it's older. IE came out in 1995, FF came out in 2003. Google Chrome came out in 2008, but the only reason it's at version 14 now is because it's been inflating its version number from the start.

It's actually kind of ironic: of the 3 most used web browsers, IE is the only one that has a versioning scheme that isn't a joke.

The "security library: memory allocation failure" error doesn't actually seem to be a memory problem as such. Maybe it's the old openssl library on the Pandora or something like that, as disabling TLS (and forcing Firefox to fall back to SSLv3) fixes this error with the Google login page.

So: Open "about:config" in Firefox, search for "security.enable_tls" and set it to "false".

[edit] While it's the default, better also check that "security.enable_sslv3" is set to "true", otherwise Firefox won't have https at all.

The "security library: memory allocation failure" error doesn't actually seem to be a memory problem as such. Maybe it's the old openssl library on the Pandora or something like that, as disabling TLS (and forcing Firefox to fall back to SSLv3) fixes this error with the Google login page.

So: Open "about:config" in Firefox, search for "security.enable_tls" and set it to "false".

[edit] While it's the default, better also check that "security.enable_sslv3" is set to "true", otherwise Firefox won't have https at all.
Where do i find the config file,i can't find it in appdata firefox folder.

Back