Release Firefox 8.0 beta 3

hdonk

Is now in the repo. Please report any problems as usual.

WTF happened to 7? Nice work though, thanks for the efforts. Does it have the flashplugin or do we need to copy it over? I'll be interested to see how this compares with the new Midori.

Wow, there is already a FF8 out there? You skipped 7.0, right? :lol:

And why the hell does Mozilla throw out one Major Number after another? Are they in a hurry or what? :huh: I'm sure, under normal circumstances, we would be still at Firefox 5.7 or something like this but it seems, mozilla wants to reach the IE and Opera Version numbers for whatever reason. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
7.0.1 crashes on startup. 8b3 works ok, so it's up!

I deleted all relevant appdata folders prior to running this new PND, but I get an error message telling me it's unable to load my profile? here's the output file

=======================================================================================

PND : /media/MAXELL16/pandora/apps/firefox-8.b.3-2.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : ISO

APPDATADIR : /media/MAXELL16/pandora/appdata/hdonk_firefox_001

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>

EXENAME : firefox.sh

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/hdonk_firefox_001"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/MAXELL16/pandora/appdata/hdonk_firefox_001=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/hdonk_firefox_001=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/hdonk_firefox_001"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (firefox.sh ) ----------

Error: Access was denied while trying to open files in your profile directory.

I've not changed any settings and was using the previous version up to yesterday....

same here this is my out log

Code:

PND             : /media/APPS/pandora/menu/firefox-8.b.3-2.pnd

PND_FSTYPE      : ISO

APPDATADIR      : /media/APPS/pandora/appdata/hdonk_firefox_001

APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>

EXENAME         : firefox.sh

ARGUMENTS       : <unset>

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/hdonk_firefox_001"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/APPS/pandora/appdata/hdonk_firefox_001=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/hdonk_firefox_001=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/hdonk_firefox_001"

[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (firefox.sh ) ----------

Error: Access was denied while trying to open files in your profile directory.

[ FAILED]--- Starting the application (firefox.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/hdonk_firefox_001': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 3

Does hdonk still has no Pandora so he can test the PND? It seems like this, sad thing, I hope he will recieve his Device as soon as posible, Firefox is one "major programm" I would say and everyone who makes or ports these should have a Pandora. :)

And why the hell does Mozilla throw out one Major Number after another? Are they in a hurry or what? :huh: I'm sure, under normal circumstances, we would be still at Firefox 5.7 or something like this but it seems, mozilla wants to reach the IE and Opera Version numbers for whatever reason. ^^
Exactly. Every somewhat reliable tech news site reported months ago that Mozilla was going to do a version sprint because they thought the noob users might think FF was inferior compared to other browsers just because of the lower version number.

Unfortunately, it looks like Firefox is sticking with the decision to render the minor version number unused and the major version number useless.

Mozilla's justification is that a rapid-release cycle makes it easier for the Firefox devs and allows end users to get updates sooner. Of course, though, they didn't need to inflate the version number for that....

I tested it on my clean NAND image before release of the -2 build, and it worked ok... I'll do some digging.

Edit:

From reading around, it appears to have something to do with the permissions on the /pandora/appdata/hdonk_firefox_001/.mozilla files. Can someone who has this problem post the output of 'ls -la' on that directory and the firefox subdir please.

you can only run that command whilst the firefox pop up showa the permission error because after you press ok pnd_run deletes thre appdata folder.

anyway here is it:

Code:
openpandora:/media/APPS/pandora/appdata$ ls -la hdonk_firefox_001

total 96

drwxrwxrwx   3 root root 32768 Oct 23 12:13 .

drwxrwxrwx 180 root root 32768 Oct 23 12:13 ..

drwxrwxrwx   2 root root 32768 Oct 23 12:13 .wh..wh.orph

openpandora:/media/APPS/pandora/appdata$

From reading around, it appears to have something to do with the permissions on the /pandora/appdata/hdonk_firefox_001/.mozilla files. Can someone who has this problem post the output of 'ls -la' on that directory and the firefox subdir please.

Are you using an ext2 card?

Most people use FAT32, and I know FireFox doesn't like FAT32 much on Linux.

Exactly. Every somewhat reliable tech news site reported months ago that Mozilla was going to do a version sprint because they thought the noob users might think FF was inferior compared to other browsers just because of the lower version number.
Lol, that's so stupid. :lol: Most Users are no idiots and for me as "experienced" user, the huge Version Number Jumps of Firefox are more confusing than a normal Number increase would be. For me, the first Version Number is a major branch Number and unless something major change, it should be kept.

Are you using an ext2 card?

Most people use FAT32, and I know FireFox doesn't like FAT32 much on Linux.
This would explain the problems. I thought hdonk has no Pandora but he really has one. Just with hte "wrong" File System I guess. ^^""

I'm sure, most of the Pandora Users use a FAT32 File System on SD Card, me too. Otherwise I couldn't use the SD Cards on Windows. But my Firefox up till 6.0 workes fine with FAT32. I have not tested the new 8.0 version yet.

Well it does say in my out file I'm using fat formatted ds card but maybe honk missed that or assumed that this has nothing to do with it, maybe it doesn't but I'm sure honk will solve this issue!

same here this is my out log

Code:

PND             : /media/APPS/pandora/menu/firefox-8.b.3-2.pnd

PND_FSTYPE      : ISO

APPDATADIR      : /media/APPS/pandora/appdata/hdonk_firefox_001

APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>

EXENAME         : firefox.sh

ARGUMENTS       : <unset>

Have the profile problem too.

Same ls -la output than milkshake.

Using fat32.

Back