Beta Hotfix 4 Beta 4 (Pre-Final)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, this should hopefully be the last betaversion before we release the final.

Compared to B3, it fixes the following things:

Code:
* Fixed stuttering in some apps (introduced with B3)
* Fixed Pandora Button for killing apps in XFCE4
* Fixed resetting brightness on start of XFCE4

I did not have any problems with the Date / Time-Settings script... therefore I could not fix anything :/

Please download and test here:
HotFix 4 Beta 4

Please report any remaining bugs. If it seems to be fine, this will be the final version :)

slaanesh said:
God Ginrai said:
EvilDragon said:
Code:
* Fixed Pandora Button for killing apps in XFCE4

What does that mean?

-God Ginrai
Pressing the Pandora buttons sometimes brings up the menu and sometimes brings up the kill process window.

I know, but what did they fix it to do?

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
At some point someone had changed the 'kill script' so that it would come up 'too quickly' and was fighting with the 'pop up the menu' mode, so the kill mode just didn't come up, in xfce; in was never a problem in mmenu; this fix was just to fix the timing so it worked again.

ie:

Yes, we will review what he various buttons do, but not today ;) That aside ..

When you press the Pandora button, it goes to a script; the script first checks if you're in xfce or not .. if not (ie: mmenu), it just kills the active pnd (which in mmenu's case, returns to mmenu.) In xfce's case, it checks for how long it has been held .. if its a short hold (or just a press), it pops up the menu; if its a long hold, it pops up a list of pnd's running, so you can pick one to kill. (ie: before, it was I think 3s of holding to get the kill list instead of the menu, but at some point it got changed and it borked up, so now its set to I think 2s, and should work fine.) Dunno about everyone else, but Pandora button to bring up the menu is what I live on all day .. that and Terminal :)

All told, I sort of thing we need a button of some sort that tries to figure out what the fullscreen app is, and kill it -- since its full screen not much can grab the screen from it, so it can be a pita to kill, and I hate doing the pandora+power reset .. I like the idea of something like pandora+select+1 does a 'sync' on the filesystem and then kills a few things, in attempt to wrestle control back from an app gone nuts :)

jeffmorning

skeezix said:
All told, I sort of thing we need a button of some sort that tries to figure out what the fullscreen app is, and kill it -- since its full screen not much can grab the screen from it, so it can be a pita to kill, and I hate doing the pandora+power reset .. I like the idea of something like pandora+select+1 does a 'sync' on the filesystem and then kills a few things, in attempt to wrestle control back from an app gone nuts
Or... something that drops us to the linux console. Many linux saavy users (or just handy) can do a "ps -A", and a "kill -9 PID" or just a "sudo reboot".
On my linux desktop this happens from time to time, ie: a opengl fullscreen app freezing, and it is very handy.

Why did you disable it?
It works with the flasher (alt + left isn't it?) and it would be damn handy if it worked normally.

It is the only thing I miss from a full blown linux distribution, the one thing windows and (mostly) mac users hate the most: a barebones terminal. :D

Sure, something that detects what application is fullscreen will be much more useful, but I bet that is going to be trickier.

From terminal you can do chvt to switch; so yeah, we should add a PAndora+shift+9 or somethign that does a chvt to a console :)

jeff

add a PAndora+shift+9 or somethign that does a chvt to a console

That would be lovely, especially for those of us developing on the device, it would be useful to have so we can easily kill errant processes before having to reboot ..

*g* Drives me nuts; dont' forget that I too keep gcc on my pandora, just I find the keyb too annoying to use, and with my Panda's inability to do wifi while my laptop is on, ssh'ing into the pandora is just a pita. (usbnet ftw mind you, I ted to use gdb on-device.) I really never understood those using usb keyboards plugged into the panda to code, but thats why we're here .. diversity :)

I find sshing into the panda over usbnet works pretty well though, and in that case, you don't need a switch-console type key, whih is whyit never scratched our itches.. notaz and djwillis ssh in as well :)

Hell, even a key combo to just kill X would be handy :)

jeff

This HF installed ok on my device. I did not add to the last reports of emus studdering every few seconds because I didn't immediately see it and figured others already reported it enough for it to be noticed. I too can confirm this no longer appears to be an issue for me either in my limited amount of software run at this time. I'll go back to reading unless I see some oddities. This update was applied to OS run from SD card.

Uhoh, after installing this hotfix my pandora won't start.

Competed the update fine, but since the auto-restart it won't load anything.

I get the pandora logo then the status bar on bootup, but after the status bar completes I just get the blinking cursor and no buttons do anything. Tried taking out the battery but same thing.

Help!

Probably not a helpful report but here it goes anyway....

I installed the hotfix to my NAND.

This time I allowed the kernel to update via the HF. Previously I did not update kernel when updating the SD booted card and it booted fine from SD.

My SD card would still boot but not the NAND after allowing kernel flash on NAND via HF. The NAND would get the initial bootscreen after the HF and then black infinitely, no progress bar or 2nd splash.

I tried reflashing my bootf.tgz from 8/17 that worked before HF install, still the same black after initial splash but SD would still boot.

Does the bootf.tgz install also share in the boot process with SD booting, my SD card still booted when NAND would not?

Reflashed again, with previous bootf.tgz and rootfs.img, it then booted. Reinstalled HF4prefinal and it booted ok (bootf.tgz and rootfs.img from 8/17).

I may have had a full rootfs but doubt it. I couldn't tell you because I reflashed and didn't think to check free space when booted off the SD card. I never installed any additional pkgs from Angstrom on the NAND or performed opkg update.

PND system is a treat, no extra time spent retooling, only copy over the few scripts from SD plus my cp -p my homedir and I'm back to where I was, quite efficient. I like that!

HF installed a-ok second time around with kernel update, maybe isolated incident.

Edited for grammar grammar grammar.....

Alerino said:
have you installed many extra software on the NAND? maybe you've ran out of space

I haven't installed anything to the nand.

I guess I have to reflash or whatever. I assume there's a guide for that somewhere?

naples39 said:
Alerino said:
have you installed many extra software on the NAND? maybe you've ran out of space

I haven't installed anything to the nand.

I guess I have to reflash or whatever. I assume there's a guide for that somewhere?

If you wait for a few hours with the reflash, you can get the latest HotFix 4 Image and don't need to download anything.

Out of interest: the HotFix Updater creates a logfile in /appdata/updater4.openpandora (or similar) named opkg.log. If you could post it it would help us finding out what went wrong.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Out of interest: the HotFix Updater creates a logfile in /appdata/updater4.openpandora (or similar) named opkg.log. If you could post it it would help us finding out what went wrong.

I'll pay more attention and remember that for next time. :)

Back