Release Firebox 5 Beta 3

Thanks a lot for your hard work hdonk, it's much appreciated! Any speed improvements compared to 4b10? :)

hdonk said:
Uh, some more Infos would be great. ^^ I see it is not in the Repo site yet, I don't use this weird App store normaly.
So we have a brandnew Firefox 5 beta version, very nice and thanx for that. Because we only have beta versions of Firefox 4 and 5 it would be nice to see a stable Firefox version some day. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
hdonk said:
Uh, some more Infos would be great. ^^ I see it is not in the Repo site yet, I don't use this weird App store normaly.
So we have a brandnew Firefox 5 beta version, very nice and thanx for that. Because we only have beta versions of Firefox 4 and 5 it would be nice to see a stable Firefox version some day. :)
You won't get a 'released' version for Ff4 - the compiled versions get stuck starting up, and in their infinite wisdom, Mozilla have obfuscated debugging the code. Fortunately the Ff5 ran ok when I finally got it built. When Ff5 is released & if it runs ok, there will be a pnd for it.

Interesting, so the beta F4 run better onto the Pandora than the final, which is not hard when the Final doesn't run at all. ^^
But Firefox 4 beta ran good, a little bit slow on starting and browsing but flawless in displaying sites. Flash plugin is nice and serves also well in Midori 3.6, my main Browser. But Firefox Beta 4 is still faster than the small Midori with stuff like google Earth for example. Firefox plugins also work which is even better. :)
I will test Firefox soon on Pandora, I don't even tested Version 5 onto my PC yet, so the Pandora here is more up to date in Browser, funny.
So thanks for porting. :)

EDIT: It does not run. :( The PND from the repo does nothing at all. does not show up in the menus and don't react when I try to execute it manualy.

EDIT2: Mini Menu recognizes the PND and shows it but still not under the desktop. I had to make launcher and manualy link it to the PND, now it also runs onto the Desktop. But I would prefer a propper PND. ^^

Works fine for me, but i had to delete everything in the "firefox" appdata folder or it would complain about another instance of firefox already running.

Scrolling seems smoother than before, other than that i can't see any improvements. Takes a while to start up.

Edit: did a comparison and its actually a notable overall improvement in responsiveness. This is going to be my primary Pandora browser from this day on.

In my case it took over everything from version 4 and also uses the same Appdata Folder, this worked. But I really wonder why XFCE desktop does not recognise the PND automaticy.

Edit: now it works, I just removed and re insered the SD card. :lol: If only everything would be fixable that easy. ^^

fusion_power said:
In my case it took over everything from version 4 and also uses the same Appdata Folder, this worked. But I really wonder why XFCE desktop does not recognise the PND automaticy.

Edit: now it works, I just removed and re insered the SD card. :lol: If only everything would be fixable that easy. ^^

Was the firefox 4 PND still there? I've found that if I have multiple versions of firefox visible to libpnd it will only see the one it found first.

I've taken to hiding old versions of the same PND that I'm not ready to delete yet in another folder that libpnd doesn't know about which seems to get around the issue.

- Neelix

I updated this through PNDstore (replacing the old version 4 of Firefox), and had no problems so far. It does seem to be faster than 4, though Midori 0.3.6 is faster overall (for Youtube, for example) and Links2 is faster yet (and the only completely stable browser so far... maybe this Firefox won't crash, though).

Downloads seem to work well. Asks for a directory and everything.

I'm interested in the flash plugin. Is it the same one?

Neelix said:
Was the firefox 4 PND still there? I've found that if I have multiple versions of firefox visible to libpnd it will only see the one it found first.

I've taken to hiding old versions of the same PND that I'm not ready to delete yet in another folder that libpnd doesn't know about which seems to get around the issue.

- Neelix
Now that you say it, yes, the older Firefox was also there at first. I'm not sure if I deleted the older first and then re-insered the SD where the new Version suddenly appeared or vice versa. However, Minimenu showed the new Firefox all the time.

A little request to the porter of Firefox, is it possible to include diferent languages? I havn't found a way yet to set Firefox to german. ^^"

Back