Release Firebox 5 beta 3

First of all of course I thank you for your works and efforts.

2nd I 2nd milkshake: A repo upload would be nice. Most people have jumped to the repo and PNDStore and the upload can be done with a few clicks, no need to enter informations again, they are taken from the pnd :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's already a FF5 out :blink: . FF4 just came out! How's the speed, about the same as 4?

Any chance on uploading to repo? :)
I tried but it barfed. It didn't like my PXML file, and when I told it to ignore the problem, it then proceeded to give me a load of /tmp/something file problems. I gave up and started rewriting the PXML file but got bored and went out to carve up a concrete floor in the back garden. I'll get around to it soonish tho.

There's already a FF5 out :blink: . FF4 just came out! How's the speed, about the same as 4?
About the same. Maybe better as I removed some files out of the pnd that weren't needed so the image size is smaller which probably frees up more memory while it is mounted. Maybe.

^ this is why it should be optional.
Oh no, why are you stirring this pot :(

Standards are a good thing. PXMLs have to fit the PXML standard to ensure that PNDs work. The repo enforces the PXML standard. If this PND doesn't meet the standard, it might not always behave as it's supposed to. And that's not good for end users. So it's better that the problem be caught now rather than cause issues after being obtained by lots of users.

To greatly simplify the life of end-users we must slightly "complicate" the life of developers. A fair price to pay. I place complicate in quotes because one can just as easily reason that this little bit of extra effort ensures that other functionality (such as auto-updating) is provided for free without requiring any development effort, therefore simplifying matters for developers.

This is NOT a valid reason to make it optimal. This is however a good indication that we would benefit from better tooling which is being actively developed right now by several community members.

The repository acts correctly here. Rule of Repair: When you must fail, fail noisily and as soon as possible.

tldr: +4

I just tested uploading the one from the app store and it uploaded fine (since deleted it and reverted it back to 4b10 because it was a test)

the PXML was out of date as there was no package info but it uploaded fine.

if you need any help with creating a more up to date PXML I'd be more than welcome to help.

I just tested uploading the one from the app store and it uploaded fine (since deleted it and reverted it back to 4b10 because it was a test)

the PXML was out of date as there was no package info but it uploaded fine.

if you need any help with creating a more up to date PXML I'd be more than welcome to help.
Maybe it was because I went away for a couple of hours when it started the upload?

Edit:

Yup, went up ok this time.

also just to point out, if you uploaded the same version that was in the app store then you could have just chose the "sideload" option which would have pulled the app remotely from the app store, providing you provided the download url.

it takes only a few seconds/minutes depending on the remote servers bandwidth and speed.

lol, +5

One of the reasons why I love Linux so much is that I can have a system where almost every package does adhere to standards, which makes it easy for me to browse, install, uninstall, and update software without running into weird problems or needing to clean up after software that hasn't uninstalled itself properly.

Ironically, Craig, you've compared us with Apple on multiple occasions, a company notorious for placing stringent, arbitrary, and sometimes even inconsistent requirements on developers who want to upload to their repository.

w000000000t~ :D

thanks_animated.gif

Back