Finding a proper name and logo :)

Anyway, more 3D renders coming up sooner or later. What do people want to see? Also, if someone has a 3D model of a Pandy I can use that instead of a chamfered cube  :lol:
I like your previous 2 render models, one suggestion I would say is though to make the logo embossed rather than [whatever the opposite of embossed is - protruded?]

Wonder if ED will go with a sunken logo on the lid or with another raised one, like on the Pandora?

Anyway, more 3D renders coming up sooner or later. What do people want to see? Also, if someone has a 3D model of a Pandy I can use that instead of a chamfered cube  :lol:
I like your previous 2 render models, one suggestion I would say is though to make the logo embossed rather than [whatever the opposite of embossed is - protruded?]

Wonder if ED will go with a sunken logo on the lid or with another raised one, like on the Pandora?
I avoided this as I can imagine it just ending up with crap in it. Maybe if the edges were smooth and rounded instead of sharp?

Well, I tried it, it works well, but it's hard to show off: I made a video to try and do so better. I also had to make it a fair bit deeper than it would be in reality and also made it a few shades darker.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u6lbj0n88t35bmu/Spinny_Emboss.avi

Edit: Excuse the graphical glitch, that's what you get for poor/quick modelling :D

Last edited by a moderator:
also not bad. Combine it with the flame on top like the other cube-based logo could be also an interesting variant. :)

Thought I would vectorize this and put it on a case to see it. Maybe a bit hard to read on the case. Seems like the device model itself wouldn't need a logo, rather we should be looking more for a legacy dragonbox devices logo instead??

grad2.png

grad2case.png
grad3case.png

also not bad. Combine it with the flame on top like the other cube-based logo could be also an interesting variant. :)
Thought I would vectorize this and put it on a case to see it. Maybe a bit hard to read on the case. Seems like the device model itself wouldn't need a logo, rather we should be looking more for a legacy dragonbox devices logo instead??

grad2.png
grad2case.png
It looks nice but there is a huge problem.

A lot better than I've thought.

I see your logo up side down and read "eaha".

So I still prefer the flame.

grad2.png
grad2case.png
It looks nice but there is a huge problem.

A lot better than I've thought.

I see your logo up side down and read "eaha".

So I still prefer the flame.
I don't think there's any problem with someone reading it upside down. Surely anyone reading it would be able to realize it is upside down and not start googling eaha?

I like that DFP. Probably could be a tad bigger on the case, though.

Yeah the sunken look is much nicer imo too.

That looks better Pritchy.

As for getting crap in it, I think making it rounded/curved would prevent that but not look as nice. Perhaps a hard chiseled edge still but at an angle, so cuts into the emboss at something like 45degree rather than at 90... know what I mean? That would probably prevent crap getting stuck in there but look nicer still as still have sharp lines

Considering all the ports are on the back, if you put the logo & silkscreen the other way, journalists who take photos of the device when it's closed may be more inclined to do so from the back angle, which will not look as nice as it would compared to the front. Ports aren't photogenic.

That makes a lot of assumptions about how the final product will look, but I don't think users will want ports all around the device.

Optimizing the best photo angle (front), I think you'd want the logos to be readable.

Thats why a design that is the same both ways is so alluring.
Good idea. Maybe no readable text is the way to go. This is why I liked the lowercase 'p' for pyra because if you rotate it, it looks like a 'd' for dragonbox.

Considering all the ports are on the back, if you put the logo & silkscreen the other way, journalists who take photos of the device when it's closed may be more inclined to do so from the back angle, which will not look as nice as it would compared to the front. Ports aren't photogenic.

That makes a lot of assumptions about how the final product will look, but I don't think users will want ports all around the device.

Optimizing the best photo angle (front), I think you'd want the logos to be readable.

Thats why a design that is the same both ways is so alluring.
pyra2_zpsf8b5237b.png

i think its better this way because then people who wonder what you're playing will know the product name, and yes port arent photogenic but then neither are SD card slots - journalisits can always take a pic of the unit from above with the lid closed. In my view its more important to get interest from the public rather than a journalist. 

Yes CK i know what you mean about letters but my reasoning was that although they are quite readable, from a distance (or from upside-down) its not immediately obvious that they are letters so its almost carrying on the ambigram idea, but it retains the "cubesque" form which shows its Pandora lineage.

Distinquishing letters from a distance is exactly the point a logo with an emblem is trying to solve. Also, if the lettering is outwards rather than inwards, you can better feel the pattern.

I disagree for example Pandora logo has no letters its more about a symbol. Sure there are letters in this logo design but they are incorporated into the symbol in a subtle way, they are there and clearly readable but not intended to be immediately obvious.

I got a 3d model I used to make the melted metal han-solo ilustration for one of the pandora-compos (pandora rebirth). IIRC, I got it from the older pandora forum.

I can´t remember the condition of the model since I just used it to do retopology, but I believe it was quite a nice one.

If you want, I can send it to you.

I think sunken looks better too. Don't know what the feasibility of that is.
As far as I know, the main reason the Pandora logo is raised on that device is that it's over the part of the lid where it's been cast thinner to accommodate the connector between the famous LCD cable that goes through the hinge and the actual cable that comes off the LCD panel. If it were embossed into the lid it'd make that part of the lid thinner or even break through the lid entirely.

There's no reason the Pyra would have the same limitation if the connection were made at the top or bottom of the lid, to allow the logo to be embossed in the center, it that's deemed to be a desirable feature.

I got a 3d model I used to make the melted metal han-solo ilustration for one of the pandora-compos (pandora rebirth). IIRC, I got it from the older pandora forum.

I can´t remember the condition of the model since I just used it to do retopology, but I believe it was quite a nice one.

If you want, I can send it to you.
That would be great, thanks!

I think sunken looks better too. Don't know what the feasibility of that is.
As far as I know, the main reason the Pandora logo is raised on that device is that it's over the part of the lid where it's been cast thinner to accommodate the connector between the famous LCD cable that goes through the hinge and the actual cable that comes off the LCD panel. If it were embossed into the lid it'd make that part of the lid thinner or even break through the lid entirely.

There's no reason the Pyra would have the same limitation if the connection were made at the top or bottom of the lid, to allow the logo to be embossed in the center, it that's deemed to be a desirable feature.
The only think I'm thinking as to oppose embossing is that wouldn't it weaken the case? I don't care how little, not worth it for a slightly nicer looking logo.

Back