Finding a proper name and logo :)

Yeah I like that one too [bit biased but... :) ], to me it looks like an [A] with its little flicks at the ends, but I get what you saying about the height. Not sure how a hole would made it look more [A] than [D] though?

[D] character would also have the same hole wouldn't it?

Just tidied up that other idea, making the underline of [P] and the top flick of [A] into a sort of box;

1057go4.png

Looks like something out of the Addams family, maybe it would look better in white?

1057go4.jpg

On second thoughts.. It looks like something out of Scream now..

ujee.png

No eyra-Pyrd problem (of course you see what you want to)

Last edited by a moderator:
tbh I think when going down the ambigram route, you're bound to get some issue with letter clarity. There're few letters which flip to show another letter without a little bit of visualisation.

Once you know what it is, you know what it is

So the logo we already have on top of the page is fairly but moderately stylish and no Pyrd or Pyhd..

1_panlogo.png

It's simple enough, not too shabby.

I'm guessing that is the logo for the device then, as it's also on the official website. Prefer the Pandora typeface though, bit more modern looking

We got a logo, still this thread is fun for showing off ambigrams anyway. Tis quite fun trying to do them.

edit: The red of the new logo is all good for the Pyra, but where it shows up on top of these forums, with them being blue, isn't too nice imo, red on blue. Could do with a stroke outline of white or something

This is PYRA:

ujee.png
Still PYRd or Pyhd.

Well, you say Pyrd or Pyhd, I say or Pyra. And that isn't a problem, because a logo have to look good in priority.

There is an ambiguity on how it should be readen, well it will give a fun feature to the logo in addition to the fact that it is an ambigram.

So the logo we already have on top of the page is fairly but moderately stylish and no Pyrd or Pyhd..

I agree here.

In general, I like semi-seriffed fonts (but that may just be me)

(Linux Biolinum, a libertine variant is nice: http://www.dafont.com/search.php?text=PYRA+-+Pyra+-+pyra&af=on&q=linux+

--

However, I don't think ambiguity is good. The Logo is supposed to strike the viewer with a positive impression. Not leave them thinking "Oh that DS thing - what was it? Eyrd? Pyha?

However, I don't think ambiguity is good. The Logo is supposed to strike the viewer with a positive impression. Not leave them thinking "Oh that DS thing - what was it? Eyrd? Pyha?
It is a matter of how much. I admits that the logo I posted before is too much because I realize R really look like h.

But if it's only the a, it is good because that amibiguity will stay in memory and once you know it's Pyra you will always say/think/see Pyra because Pyrd isn't natural at all.

^ Ii think its too complex to be an abstract logo presented alongside the name, yet far to difficult to read to stand alone.

Either do a nice, readable rendition of the word 'Pyra', or do a simple, clear abstract logo. - maybe both.

Don't to a complicated, abstracted, unreadable version of 'pyra'!

But I was under the impression the word "Pyra" would still be written clearly anyway along with "dragonbox", and that this was just the logo. Was that not correct?

But I was under the impression the word "Pyra" would still be written clearly anyway along with "dragonbox", and that this was just the logo. Was that not correct?
It depends on what kind of logo we choose. If we do a clear, readable version of Pyra for the logo, we don't need it written clearly. If we do an abstract logo, we do.

-God Ginrai

Like some others, I prefer this simple text as the logo. Look at the Game Boy range. They used the console name in the branding, with no logo, and they became pretty iconic! I don't think a logo is required to establish recognition/association for those that don't know of the device. I mean was that pseudo-cube effective for association with Pandora? For me, the name Pandora (or OpenPandora) itself was what was recognisable. I think maybe using the "Pyra" from the quote above, and having "DragonBox" placed above the "yra" part (or where it is right now in the header) would give it a nice, understated look.

Back