Finding a proper name and logo :)

They sit on a huge pile of gold.
*bites own lips hands and tries hard not to derail the thread to become one of many atm*

In general they are evil creatures.

^Look into his eyes and say he's an evil creature... 

logo.jpg
This is ED:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Dragons are just majestic and decorative in my mind too.

Dangerous in this case only for Sony or the like which has the exact opposite philosophy and starts choking on it.

I see a name as a tool to provide uniqueness, and whatever connotations you have beforehand, get translated into what the product actually does/is. Not to say that there isnt anything to gain right off the bat, but still.
OpenAdolf then? Oo

Rather not.

OpenManOfSteel
OpenNapoleon
OpenXerxes
OpenKimDzongil
WyldStalin Pro
OpenComrade
OpenTed Bundy Edition
OpenElizabeth
OpenAnunaki
iPimp

heres my serious picks:
Revolt 
Revolution
OpenRevolt
OpenRevolution

Apart from the reference to ED, have you thought of all the connotations the word dragon has?

They eat people.

They breath fire.

They are huge.

They are scaly and have claws and fans.
While we could debate for hours on the pros and cons of associations with dragons, I see the argument as being moot.  The device is being made by a fellow called EvilDragon, to be sold in his DragonBox store.  What's the point of trying to avoid associating the device with dragons? :)

- Neelix

EDIT: @Streak - there's a separate thread for impractical suggestions..  why must you pollute this one?

Apart from the reference to ED, have you thought of all the connotations the word dragon has?

They eat people.

They breath fire.

They are huge.

They are scaly and have claws and fans.
While we could debate for hours on the pros and cons of associations with dragons, I see the argument as being moot.  The device is being made by a fellow called EvilDragon, to be sold in his DragonBox store.  What's the point of trying to avoid associating the device with dragons? :)

- Neelix
I had the feeling that ED was looking for suggestions, hence the thread. If I this here is only decorative palaver and/or I am not supposed to provide my opinion backed up by reasoning, my bad.

- Neelix

EDIT: @Streak - there's a separate thread for impractical suggestions..  why must you pollute this one?
 spoiler added.. no pollution whatsoever

ED, did you choose anything thats worth Your attention? 

I don't think ED is stupid enough to go with "myriad" or any other name that has millions of google hits already.

Please desist with reccommending names that do not meet ED's selection criteria.

I don't think ED is stupid enough to go with "myriad" or any other name that has millions of google hits already.

Please desist with reccommending names that do not meet ED's selection criteria.
It's already been stated that Myriad by itself may have a lot of hits, but something like DragonBox Myriad is still a good choice..

Look at something like Asus Transformer, Transformer by itself would be a horrible for established searches..

Google doesn't work like that. Yeah, there are a million hits because it's a generic word, but they're all low ranking because it is just a generic word: no one has done any SEO for it, why would they? If ED produces something called "Myriad", a dozen tech sites pick up on it and actually link to it using "Myriad" in the name, some forums repost those tech sites, in a few weeks it becomes very high ranking and searches for just the word will appear near the top, probably just below the Merriam-Webster link. With the right marketing and optimization it could probably even beat the dictionary.

This as opposed to something like "Pyrrha" or "Dragonfly" which have millions of legitimate hits to things which people would have links against.

When choosing a name, it isn't just important to see how many hits you get, but how strong those hits are. You do a search for "Beagleboard", there are only 750'000 hits, but I guarantee that the top ranked ones are so strong that you'd never be able to get your page to the top. "Myriad" returns 12'000'000 hits, but they're all so weak that it would be easy to get something new into the top 10.

I agree that DragonBox Myriad would work as a name (in terms of Google hits etc), but DragonBox Pyragon would work just as well.

As far as I can tell, the only other Pyragons currently out there are a Nerf Vortex Blaster and some temperature sensor company.

"Myriad" is not just a word (if it's just used as a word, it's not going to get a high pagerank), but it is also in use as a name: it's a french music software company, a medical diagnosis company, a network security company, a marketing company, a toys & crafts company, and so on.

As a name, "Myriad" is rather vague and nondescript; it can be used in nearly any context, like the above examples illustrate. Its only meaning is "a whole lot", which is not bad, but it's a bit weak in my opinion. Its only connection to the device is the multifunctionality of the device and the "Greek" origin. In contrast, "Pyragon" refers to "paragon", "Pyrrha", and "dragon" - more layers of meaning, nice subtle references, more originality.

Dragonbox Tiamat

If there will be successors, there are plenty other dragons left.

Think about the possibility of consistency.

Dragonbox Tiamat

If there will be successors, there are plenty other dragons left.

Think about the possibility of consistency.
I'm not sure this would be a wise choice because Tiamat is the Evil Goddess of Chromatic Dragons, i think any new device could do without these negative connotations.

I had the feeling that ED was looking for suggestions, hence the thread. If I this here is only decorative palaver and/or I am not supposed to provide my opinion backed up by reasoning, my bad.
I never questioned your right to offer your opinion and reasoning, I merely posted a dissenting opinion which discounted the specific opinion you offered, backed up by my own reasoning.

- Neelix

Back