Finding a proper name and logo :)

What would be nice:

* If there is some connection to the Pandora. i.e. DragonBox (since Pandora's Box is pretty known), or something similar. Not neccessary though.

dragonbox logo:

dbox.jpg
Perfect. I like how it implies a lid that is open towards the viewer.

I'm not so sure about the logo. Of course it directly refers to Pandora, which is nice. But the solution to simply slice the original Pandora logo and invert each part appears somewhat too simple minded to me. And i don't really like how it looks. It reminds me of a butterfly, which is something i don't want the Pandora 2 to be linked with. That said it would be nice if the "db" looked like dragon wings.

I really don't see any mileage in messing with the logo we have currently - better, IMO, to design a logo that fits the new name.

Think you should call  the second Pandora

"op-osd" or "op-osd2" Open Pandora - Open Source Device 2 -  as in opposed ( some thing not really wanted , but really wanted :)

............ just my 2 cents .. Bud

Yes, pay some respect to the Pandora in the logo, but 'Pandora' should be stricken from the name.

Yes, a new set of boards should be put up - linked to from this URL with all user accounts in tact.

I recommend using the dragonbox url and have each product have it's own section in the forums - eventually retiring the 'openpandora.org' completely in a year or so as the product is deprecated.

'Pandora' should be a sub-section topic for historical support & user community.

'Pandora' is a product. An item, a thing.

DragonBox is the company, producer & seller of things.

The new device, made by DragonBox - wearing the DragonBox logo (see above logo from dgame) needs it's own product name X to distinguish it from product Y to be me made by the DragonBox company Z years or so from now.

So - Myriad > Pyra. Still not sold on Myriad though as it's a real world use term in both Greek and English meaning 10,000 and 'many^2' respectively.

How about something completely different? Someone mentioned that they didn't like how the db logo looked like a butterfly. How about calling the device the DragonBox Butterfly (in another language).

English: DragonBox Butterfly

French: DragonBox Papillion (or Papio for short?)

Spanish: DragonBox Mariposa

German: DragonBox Shmetterling

Russian: DragonBox Babochka

Japanese: DragonBox Cho

And... drum roll... following the Pandora's use of Greek, since it's all Greek to me...

Greek: DragonBox Psȳchē

DragonBox Schmetterling

Dragonbox is the first hit on google. Dragonfly is the first hit on wikipedia.

Dragon-Phoenix is a name of a restaurant in Singapore with a joomla website :p .

Dragon-Phoenix or Dragonbox Phoenix would be nice, risen from ash :) .

Last edited by a moderator:
^ See the graph I posted earlier - phoenix is a massively overused name.

DragonBox Schmetterling
Dragonbox is the first hit on google. Dragonfly is the first hit on wikipedia.

Dragon-Phoenix is a name of a restaurant in Singapore with a joomla website :p .

Dragon-Phoenix or Dragonbox Phoenix would be nice, risen from ash :) .
I got all of those from Google. That one in particular is the Google answer to:

german word for butterfly

DragonBox Shmetterling: see also http://youtu.be/ZlATOHGj9EY?t=20s
You'd wonder how beautiful German can be with the right vocabulary and phonetic,

my Romanian singing teacher always prefered it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Dragonbox Echo

Echo was the Nymph of a mountain, so we'd stay in ancient greek mythology,

although most people do not know where this word comes from and may refer to it,

as the echo of the peoples/communitys wishes.

Apart from the reference to ED, have you thought of all the connotations the word dragon has?

In general they are evil creatures.

They eat people.

They sit on a huge pile of gold.

They breath fire.

They are huge.

They are scaly and have claws and fans.

The new device is supposed to:

Be user friendly

Save your time, not consume your life

Be affordable and not rip you off

Stay cool and not get hot

Be pocketable

Be good to hold and nice to the touch

I dont think people actually connotate dragon with a real danger of dragons. They are mythical and majestic, and we have used them to decorate our most precious belongings in europe since forever.

ED seems to get away with using _evil_ dragon, so its all good.  I see a name as a tool to provide uniqueness, and whatever connotations you have beforehand, get translated into what the product actually does/is. Not to say that there isnt anything to gain right off the bat, but still.

Back