Fba2x By Headoverheels (thank You Squidge)

DaveC said:
Isn't CPS2 more complex than CPS1?
One reason is that the cps-2"s Qsound is a quicker to emulate than the cps-1"s ym-2151 fm sound chip. Check out Dino Wars on cps-1; it"s one of the few that uses Qsound and runs faster than other cps-1 ym-2151 games.
Qsound basically uses samples in roms to create its sound. This is easier to emulate than generating fm sound produced by ym-2151.

Last edited by a moderator:
Headoverheels is working again in the emu and he wants to include in the next releases these changes.He has read this whole thread ;) :

-The CPS1 games now have a better performance, with some CPS1 drivers changes i did now i get + 12 fps more or less.

- In next releases you could change sound quality.

- Scaling options: OFF, HW & SW.

- USB control pads support.

- Dipswitches.

This gonna be a great emu B)

Thanks again to Squidge for his great work and for the source code of course :)

*My english is not good, i know it :D

That sounds great, especially the +12FPS for CPS-1 games.

Thanks Head Over Heels!

What about games that have more than two buttons? I couldn't see a way for getting third/fourth buttons going?
Or am I missing something here? :D

Headoverheels has been reading the thread and the Magic Sword bug will be solved in next release, and maybe the lacking of buttons i suposse.

slaanesh said:
DaveC said:
Isn't CPS2 more complex than CPS1?
One reason is that the cps-2"s Qsound is a quicker to emulate than the cps-1"s ym-2151 fm sound chip. Check out Dino Wars on cps-1; it"s one of the few that uses Qsound and runs faster than other cps-1 ym-2151 games.
Qsound basically uses samples in roms to create its sound. This is easier to emulate than generating fm sound produced by ym-2151.

Ok I see that makes sense. It is odd that older systems are harder than newer ones to emulate but this explains it. I wonder if the FM chip could run on the second core like Picodrive and NeoGeo emus?

CPS-2 isn't really that much more advanced than CPS-1. It may also have faster CPUs but Cyclone is pretty damn efficient. It also can handle larger ROMs but the only requirement for this is RAM and even then caching can be used to a degree.

Anyway, looking forward to the next release.

I've had a great "shooter" christmas playing OpenTyrian2X and Don Pachi on FBA2X! :)

Man this thing is cool, I never really got into FBA till seeing it on gp2x. On PC I had kawaks as my defacto arcade emu, except now I realize that man I missed out on a bunch of scmups kawaks didn't have that FBA did...

Squidge said:
Typing FBA2X into google would have told you exactly what it was, and the previous versions and peoples comments...
No, you don't get the point. The point was, way too often news articles on gp32x give little context, most go "IEUJFJESDOC2X v3.54.6.8 is out! Changes since the last release : Faster ASM core emu, Fixed an audio bug, Added an option to remap controls" and that's it. If you never heard of the thing before you have to do research yourself.

And I did try googling FBA2X, and it didn't return any sufficiently informative data in a timely manner.

Fair enough, the first post should really say "IEUJFJESDOC2X emulates the cray-ii system" or whatever first to let people know exactly what it does.

As for google however, I'm surprised. When I tried it, the second post down was my original port, which contained a lot of info about what it was.

Ah well.

Great release ; runs all cps1 games along with donpachi with excellent performance and no need to overclock it seems ; many thanks

By the way do anyone know where to find a complete list of emulated games & systems by this one ? a compability list maybe

New version:

FBA2X_Beta4_Headoverheels

Source Code:

FBA2X_B4_Source

*Changelog in spanish at the moment, i cannot translate it now sorry :

Las novedades de esta versión:
- Nuevos parámetros de configuración. Los nombre son los mismos que los del emulador de CPS2 para que sea más sencillo adaptar un frontend como el CAPEX:
--no-sound/--sound :desactiva/activa el sonido (por defecto activado)
--no-rescale/--sw-rescale/--hw-rescale :método de escalado para juegos CPS1 y CPS2, sin reescalado/reescalado software/reescalado hardware (por defecto hardware)
--samplerate 11025/22050/44100 :configuración de la calidad del sonido (por defecto 11025)
--frontend :indica el frontend que se lanzará al salir del emu (por defecto gp2xmenu)
- Soporte de pads USB
- Optimizaciones y ajustes en juegos CPS1. He modificado el código de render cuando se utiliza el reescalado hardware para que sea más rápido. En algunos juegos se gana bastante (Cadillacs & dinosaurs, Punisher, Ghouls & ghosts) y en otros algo menos. Los que queráis el máximo de velocidad usad el reescalado hardware.
- Corregidos los controles en Magic sword

Ahora vienen las malas noticias El sonido en juegos CPS1 que no usen qsound (todos menos Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Punisher y Warrors of fate) está fijado a 11025 independientemente de lo que se configure. He tenido que hacerlo así ya que si no el rendimiento del emulador cae en picado (hay que optimizar el código).

En el zip incluyo el .dat para el clrmame. Que lo disfrutéis.

English translation:

What's new:
- New config options. The name of thoses options are the same as cps2emu to be more simple to add some frontend like capex:
--no-sound/--sound :Desactivate/Activate the sound (activated by default)
--no-rescale/--sw-rescale/--hw-rescale : scaling modes for the CPS1 and CPS2 games, without rescale/rescale by software/rescale accelerated by hardware (hardware rescale by default)
--samplerate 11025/22050/44100 : sound quality configuration (11025 Hz by default)
--frontend : set the frontend to use when you quit the emulator (gp2xmenu by default)
- USB gamepad supported
- Optimisations and modifications for CPS1 games. Headover have modified the code of the render when using the scaler hardware for much more speed. In some games we gain lot of speed (Cadillacs & dinosaurs, Punisher, Ghouls & ghosts) and in another one we gain less speed. Those who want more speed, have to use the hardware scaler.
- Fix controls in Magic sword

The bad news: The sound for CPS1 games who don't use the qsound (all except Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Punisher and Warrors of fate) are set to 11025 Hz and can't be modified. Headover have to do that for better emulation rendering (the code have to be optimised).

In the zip file you'll find a .dat file for clrmame.

Great release, this emu is getting much nicer now especially for the much needed CPS1 stuff. The sound seems better too, still a bit "fluttery" in CPS1, but better.

I did notice one weird thing though, when I exit the emu the LCD in Gmenu2X is bright and it has alot of interlace flicker. If I turn off the unit and restart it is fine.

Yod4z said:
- New config options. The name of thoses options are the same as cps2emu to be more simple to add some frontend like capex:
Please somebody make a front end for this emu!

Hello everyone. :lol: I own a F200, and I have been lurking for almost 2 months. This will be my first post. :p

This is a detailed report on the compatibility of FBA2X Beta 4 5. I apologize if it's too long and hard to read, but I hope this can be helpful in improving this excellent emulator, as well as serve as a guide for everyone. :)

(The ROM sets that I tested were properly formatted for FinalBurn Alpha Plus! [u7] v0.2.95.23 using the CLRMame DAT file)

The report is broken down into different systems that FBA2X (supposedly) supports:

Cave:

(6 out of 16 ROM sets are working properly)

a. Not working (stop at "Open Zip"):

- Air Gallet: agallet
- DoDonPachi: ddonpach, ddonpchj
- ESP Ra.De.: esprade, espradej, espradeo
- Fever SOS: feversos, dfeveron
- Gaia Crusaders: gaia
- Guwange: guwange
- Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: sailormn, sailormo

Toaplan:

(24 out of 26 ROM sets are working, including those with issues)

a. Not working (stops at "Open Zip"):

- Battle Bakraid: bbakraid, bbkradu

b. Lacks 3rd Button for vertical controls:

- Dogyuun: dogyuun

c. Heavily affected by the amount of objects on-screen (slows down to <10 FPS @ 200 MHz):

- Armed Police Batrider: batrider, batridra, batridrk
- Battle Garegga: battleg, battlega, battelegb, battlegc
- Mahou Daisakusen: mahoudai, sstriker, sstrikra
- Shippu Mahou Daisakusen: shippumd, kingdmgp

d. No sound (not really an issue, since the ROM sets are the problem):

- Batsugun: batsugun, batugnsp
- Dogyuun: dogyuun
- Knuckle Bash: kbash
- Teki Paki: tekipaki
- V-Five: vfive, grindsta, grindstm

CPS-1:

(100 out of 132 ROM sets are working, including those with issues)

a. Not working (close before the loading screen):

- Clones of "Cadillacs & Dinosaurs": [dinoh], [kl2d]
- Clone of "The King of Dragons": kodb
- Clone of "Street Fighter II": sf2uk
- Clones of "SFII' Champion Edition": sf2ceh, sf2m1, [sf2m13], sf2m2, [sf2m3], sf2tlona, sf2tlonb, sf2tlonc
- Clones of "SFII' Hyper Fighting": sf2hf, sfce13
- Clone of "Street Fighter Zero": sfach
- Clone of "Varth": varthr1
- Clones of "Warriors of Fate": wof3js, wof3sj, wofh, {wofha}, {wofsj}, {wofsja}, [wofsjb]

b. Crash after loading:

- Clones of "SFII' Hyper Fighting": sf2t, sf2tj

c. Blank screen after loading (also not working in PC version):

- Saturday Night Slam Masters: {slammast}, {slammasu}, {mbomberj}, {mbombrd}, {mbombrdj}

d. No longer working (stops at "Open Zip"; was working in beta3, except for the broken coin button)

- Magic Sword: msword, mswordj, mswordr1, mswordu

e. Lacks rotation (spinner) controls:

- Forgotten Worlds: forgottn, lostwrld

f. Errors in CLRMame DAT file (not working in PC version):

- Clone of "SFII' Champion Edition": [sf2m8]
- Clone of "Warriors of Fate": [Wof3sja]

[] = Marked as "Not Working" in PC version
{} = Not working in PC version as well

CPS-2 & NeoGeo MVS:

- Did not test (most likely not working)
- It's better to use the dedicated emulators instead (CPS2EMU & GnGeo2x)

Psikyo:

- All 11 ROM sets are not working (close before the loading screen)

Misc:

- All 47 ROM sets are not working (close before the loading screen)

EDIT: Updated to FBA2X Beta 5.

some games will not work on this release because Headover have not used the upper memory then the emulator can only play game using less than 32Mo (dodonpachi use like 48Mo). For the next version headsover have said he will put the acces for the full ram of the Gp2x and some special gift (more games supported ?)

imhotep said:
Yod4z said:

There already is one, it's called GMenu2X :)

I must also thank Headoverheels for the improvements he's made to this emulator already.

Squidge said:
imhotep said:
There already is one, it's called GMenu2X :)

yes and capex is also available and fully working just some option that's don't work (overclock)

Back