Fba2x - Finalburn Alpha Beta 7.2

Manjuu

100% マンジュウ
FBA2x is a port of Finalburn Alpha for the GP2X console. It is an arcade emulator for MC68000/Z80 based arcade games. It plays CPS-1, CPS-2, Cave, Toaplan, NeoGeo, and other arcade games.

Translated from http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?p=745804

--------------------
HeadOverHeels has uploaded a new version of FBA2x. There were a few changes, so it is possible that some bugs were introduced.
The main feature is the support of caches for large ROMs (NeoGeo for example).

New features:
o Implemented service mode (L+R+SELECT). Press SELECT+START to simulate pressing 1P START+2P START; necessary to exit service mode in some games from Capcom
o Added support for cache files needed by large ROMs
o Cave:
. * Fixed: Pretty Soldier Sailormoon
. * Fixed: Guwange (cache required)
. * New supported games:
- - - Hotdog Storm (hotdogst)
- - - Mazinger Z (mazinger)
- - - Metamoqester (metmqstr, nmaster)
- - - These games use the Z80 core of MAME, so they are slower
o NeoGeo:
. * Added support for cache files
. * Updated romset to MAME version 0.125u6
o New supported games:
. * PGM:
- - - Oriental Legend (orlegend, orlegnde, orlegndc, orld111c, orld105k) (cache required)
- - - Dragon World II (drgw2, drgw2c, drgw2j)
- - - The Killing Blade (killbld, killbldt) (not working correctly) (cache required)
- - - Photo Y2K (photoy2k, raf102j)
- - - Knights of Valour (kov, kov115, kovj, kovplus, kovplusa) (cache required)
- - - Puzzle Star (puzlstar)
- - - These games require the ROM pgm.zip
. * WWF WrestleFest (wwfwfest, wwfwfsta, wwfwfstb, wwfwfstj)
o Updated CAPEX to support cache files

To generate cache files:
- The fbacache.exe program is needed. You need to copy the ROM and those that it depends on to the ROMs directory and execute "fbacache.exe -d [romname].zip"
- For example with Metal Slug 5, copy mslug5.zip and neogeo.zip to the ROMs directory and execute "fbacache.exe -d mslug5.zip"
- If all goes well, this will generate the file mslug5.fba; this is the one you must copy to the ROMs directory of FBA2x; ONLY THIS FILE, mslug5.zip and neogeo.zip are not need (unless another game needs neogeo.zip)

Enjoy!
--------------------

Download links:
FBA2x-beta72.zip (1.70 MB)
FBACache.zip (667.4 KB)

Notes:
- For NeoGeo, if the total uncompressed size of the graphic files (C files) in a ROM set is ~16MB or smaller, it is not required to dump a cache file. You can just copy the ROM set along with the neogeo.zip to the ROMs directory of FBA2x.
- It is still best to use GnGeo2x 0.7a beta instead of FBA2x for NeoGeo games.

Thank you very much, HeadOverHeels. (Thanks also to juanvvc for the info.) :D

Can someone upload those files to the archive?

Now I need to update the Compatibility List; I better start playing. :lol:

EDIT:
- Fixed some of the translation and layout
- Added a short description (Thanks to imhotep for the idea)
- Added some notes

Great news. This is a fantastic emulator. For anyone who doesn't know, this emulator is currently the best way to play CPS1 games but as you can see it does a lot more also.

Service Mode being added is great too. This is something that cps2emu has had for quite some time.

GnGeo beta will probably never be overtaken as the best Neo Geo emu, but there is nothing wrong with other emus improving their Neo Geo support.

I coudnt get any games to run

f-200, 4.1.1 firmware. Ran the cache program as intructed with neo-geo.rom, generated a cache file, placed in rom folder in root of fba as instructed, ran emulator..it saw roms..tried to load..and BOOM black screen..nothing happens. I wait forever, still black screen. So I exit back to main menu.

Tried:

metal slug 5
Money idol exchanger
Metal slug 4

am i doing anything wrong?

So far, all the NeoGeo games that I have tried worked without any fuss, albeit much slower. These include garou.fba (not the prototype version), mslug3.fba (without any missing graphics), and samsh5sp.fba; all three of them have encrypted source files. FBA2x seems to be more compatible than GnGeo2x, but pales in comparison in terms of speed.

bboyneko said:

f-200, 4.1.1 firmware. Ran the cache program as intructed with neo-geo.rom, generated a cache file, placed in rom folder in root of fba as instructed, ran emulator..it saw roms..tried to load..and BOOM black screen..nothing happens. I wait forever, still black screen. So I exit back to main menu.

Tried:

metal slug 5
Money idol exchanger
Metal slug 4

I was able to run all those you mentioned without a problem.

Does your NeoGeo ROM sets follow MAME version 0.125u6 format?

It's not "neo-geo.rom", it's "neogeo.zip". It's a ZIP file containing the BIOS files: sfix.sfx, asia-s3.rom, sm1.sm1, and 000-lo.lo

While dumping, do you see this output?
CODE
C:\FBACache>fbacache.exe -d mslug4.zip
dumping rom cache file ...
roms/mslug4.ziproms/neogeo.zipLoading 263-c1.bin ... 8192Kb graphics (OK)
Loading 263-c2.bin ... 8192Kb graphics (OK)
Loading 263-c3.bin ... 8192Kb graphics (OK)
Loading 263-c4.bin ... 8192Kb graphics (OK)
Loading 263-c5.bin ... 8192Kb graphics (OK)
Loading 263-c6.bin ... 8192Kb graphics (OK)
Loading sfix.sfx ... 128Kb BIOS graphics (OK)
Loading 263-pg1.bin ... 1024Kb program (OK)
Loading 263-p2.bin ... 4096Kb program (OK)
Loading 263-m1_decrypted.bin ... 128Kb program (OK)
Loading 263-v1.bin ... 8192Kb sound (OK)
Loading 263-v2.bin ... 8192Kb sound (OK)
Loading asia-s3.rom ... 128Kb BIOS program (OK)
Loading sm1.sm1 ... 128Kb BIOS program (OK)
Loading 000-lo.lo ... 64Kb BIOS (OK)
Dump Cache Code ... 6337KB
Dump Cache Sprite ... 65536KB
Dump Cache Text ... 640KB
Dump Cache PCM A ... 16384KB
Dump Cache PCM B ... 0KB
Dump Cache Sprite Attr... 512KB
Dump Cache Text Attr ... 20KB
dump OK!

That can tell you if you have all the required files and have dumped the cache correctly.

However, it is best to use GnGeo2x instead for NeoGeo games. FBA2x is much slower.

EDIT: Also, if the total uncompressed size of the graphic files (C files) in a ROM set is ~16MB or smaller, you don't need to dump a cache file. You can just copy the ROM set along with the neogeo.zip to the ROMs directory of FBA2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good. Thanks for the post, Manjuu. Service mode at last. Very useful as some games are really hard to play with default difficulty...

Regards,
Stephan

bboyneko said:
i cant get GnGeo2x to run anything, keeps saying bad romset :(
Hmm... this is already off-topic, but anyway, try to get a small game (less than 12MB) to run first; it has a higher chance to work correctly, since it most likely would not require a cache file and won't be encrypted. If you still can't get any to run, maybe there is a problem in your installation or the ROMs your using are not compatible.

For more information, search around the forums. There are a number of threads about running GnGeo2x. ;)

very nice to see wrestlefest here. button mashing goodness. never know what cool new games will be supported with each release of this emu.

guwange looks fixed but now seems to crash fairly often.

haven't been able to dump the pgm games since a screen pops up and if i close it the dumping stops.

service mode is nice addition.

improved neo geo is always nice. while gngeo2x is overall best for neo geo some games have problems especially those with rasters so nice to have another place to play them. super sidekicks 4 works great on this now- unfortunately dumping makes it take up a fair amount of space.

wonder if headoverheels plans on updating the snes emu too. thanks for the great updates to these emus.

Wow... :blink: this is the first time I can get my "metal Slug 3" rom to work onto the GP2X...and I've tried this since I have a GP2X :lol:
Now I'm sure it was all GnGeo's fault! :D Ok, MS3 is unplayable slow with FBA but it works without graphical glitches. Service Mode is nice but can I set the System to Console for NeoGeo Games?

NeoTurf Masters is playable by the way, slow too but not much slower than GNGeo with rasters enabled. (useful for this game) And the best is, FBA2X has no problems with Raster Effects, they are Displayed 100% correct unlike GnGeo.

If the NeoGeo performance will be better, maybe I even can run KoF 2002 and all the Romsets gngeo doesn't run. Very nice Emulator.

Turf Masters worked great on the last version of Fba, its one of my fave's!

Im feelin the love for wrestlefest too...just playin this game brings back greasy buttons and smells of chips!! :)

wow just played wrestlefest amazing :) :)

but Oriental lengend freezes after quitting....

btw.. how do i see the fps ?????

thx

jbrodack said:
[...]

haven't been able to dump the pgm games since a screen pops up and if i close it the dumping stops.

[...]
I was able to dump the three PGM games. What does the pop-up say? Do you have the pgm.zip in ROMs directory?

pongplaya said:
wow just played wrestlefest amazing :) :)

but Oriental lengend freezes after quitting....

btw.. how do i see the fps ?????

thx
Press L+R+Y to show FPS.

But it seems the FPS counter is squished in PGM games, making it hard to read. It's probably affected by the scaling in PGM games.

I experienced some locking up also, but not in Oriental Legend.

bboyneko said:

Tried:

metal slug 5
Money idol exchanger
Metal slug 4

Haven't run any of the NeoGeo stuff yet, but I did run Guwange (best ubershmup ever!) and so had to run the cache program. One thing that I noticed in the above post (or in the readme I don't remember) is that you only need to copy the cache file into the roms directory, the rom itself is NOT needed, and you can actually remove it from the ROMS directory. You might try that as I had Guwange working great (a little stuttery at 200mhz but not too bad). Hope that helps.

p B)

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention. Cheers to HeadOverHeels for such great work...

also, also...

jbrodack said: QUOTE
guwange looks fixed but now seems to crash fairly often.

I haven't had this problem yet and I've played through the first three levels. Perhaps it's a rom version issue. I'm not sure what version I have but It's not the newest. I'm probably two updates behind or so. I'll look when I get home.

pariah said:
I haven't had this problem yet and I've played through the first three levels. Perhaps it's a rom version issue. I'm not sure what version I have but It's not the newest. I'm probably two updates behind or so. I'll look when I get home.
I crash when playing on the first level every time. It created the guwange.fba file fine and played fine until it all the sudden crashes. If you could point me in the direction of the version you're using that would be appreciated as I love shmups and been wanting to play this. I have a blast until it crashes.

and Manjuu the pop up seems to show the arcade system running. Like bios setup or something. Maybe I need a different pgm.zip.
edit: got pgm game to work. either my original pgm.zip or game i was using was messed up. used different roms and the cache program worked.

Is there any way to remap the buttons? Some games (like Street Fighter) would really benefit from the ability to remap the buttons.

Back