Pocketsnes 6.4.2 By Headoverheels

Rivroner

Hi boys, a new and incredible version :)

We can call it 6.4.2 - Last changes are points 11 and 12 :

Change History
==============
Changes by HeadOverHeels
1. USB pads support
2. Fixed sky colour for Super Mario World when transparencies are not active.
3. Fixed framerate for PAL games (50 fps) and added an option to configure region (AUTO, NTSC, PAL)
4. Fixed sound problems with some games (Ilussion of Gaia for example)
5. Sound frequencies have been changed (8250,16500) to make GP2X F200 compatible
6. 256x240 games resolution problem have been fixed
7. C4 chip support (Megaman X2, X3)
8. High resolution text support (Seiken Densetsu 3 - Secret of Mana2)
9. Added DSP optimizations from snes9xTYL of Yoyofr.
10. F200 sound level now is lower

11. SDD1 support (Star Ocean & Street Fighter Alpha 2) SDD1 decompressed packs are supported.SDD1GFX.DAT & SDD1GFX.IDX must be copied to a subdirectory named socnsdd1 (for Star Ocean) and sfa2sdd1 (for Street Fighter 2 alpha). Create these subdirectories in the roms directory.If no packs are found, the emulator uses realtime decompression (slower)

12. Other minor fixes and optimizations.

You can download it from gp32spain, maybe you need to register ;)

PocketSnes_6.4.2_HeadOverHeels

Source Code

ENJOY IT :) !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. This may be enough to get me to switch over from SS (I think I'm the last guy still using that--I like the ability to change rendering options on the fly).

does anyone know what the differences between the regular and fast versions. There's nothing in the readme about it.

its obvious one is supposed to be faster, but at what cost? quality maybe?

The fast version is less compatible. Some games doesn´t work with sound with the fast version (star ocean, terranigma,...)

GAlioUS said:
The fast version is less compatible. Some games doesn´t work with sound with the fast version (star ocean, terranigma,...)
Exactly, that´s it.

When a game does not work properly just try normal launcher :)

The difference can be like 3 frames or so.

icurafu said:
Thanks Rivroner for the information... and thanks so much headoverheels. It'll be perfect for the xmas vacation.
You are welcome :)

Pickle said:
does anyone know what the differences between the regular and fast versions.
The fast version has an ASM core, it is 3FPS or so faster but it is less compatible. The "normal" version has the original C core and runs more games.

The newly supported Star Ocean, for example, only runs on the normal version.

juanvvc said:
The fast version has an ASM core, it is 3FPS or so faster but it is less compatible.
Wow, a lot of work for 3 or so fps faster. Bigger plans with that in the future? Still, unquestionably a fantastic release.

It's great to see people working on SNES again. People in PSP forums are now asking for a port of the GP2X SNES emulator :)

How hard (and how necessary) is to use data packs with Star Ocean and SFA2? They seem tricky to set up.

SFA2 seemed to play fairly ok, albeit with a few short freezes when decompressing new sections.

Rivroner, is there anyway you could implement a button config like PicoDrive has? I'm still having the mapping issue with actual SNES pads that I detailed in the 6.3 release post. I have an F200 if that matters or not. Any suggestions?

imhotep said:
How hard (and how necessary) is to use data packs with Star Ocean and SFA2? They seem tricky to set up.

SFA2 seemed to play fairly ok, albeit with a few short freezes when decompressing new sections.
I think packs are important, realtime decompressing is slow i think.

Knoxximus said:
Rivroner, is there anyway you could implement a button config like PicoDrive has? I'm still having the mapping issue with actual SNES pads that I detailed in the 6.3 release post. I have an F200 if that matters or not. Any suggestions?
I am not the coder, sorry ;) HeadOverHeels is the coder :)

I can ask Headoverheels if he has this problem, i know he plays a lot with usb pads to Wild Guns :D

Street Fighter Alpha 2 for SNES is a valiant effort, but it's really a terrible port. SNES just cannot handle this game. Use the CPS-2 emu instead for that. I think loading times and slowdown is the norm.

Rivroner - to you and Headover heels I extend my gratitude. when I got my F-200 series just a few weeks ago I never dreamt that it would be possible to get this kind of return on a portable snes emulator (even now when I think about it - it just seems incredible!).

So please don't think I'm ungrateful in asking this, but! - is a speed increase possible in the future? Is PocketSnes ever likely to get to a 50-55 FPS with 210mhz or less? I guess speedy FX chip emulation will always be a pipe dream, but is there room for optimisation while maintaining transparancies?

Again - couldn't be happier with this release - congratulations all round. thanks a million.

midget35 said:
So please don't think I'm ungrateful in asking this, but! - is a speed increase possible in the future? Is PocketSnes ever likely to get to a 50-55 FPS with 210mhz or less? I guess speedy FX chip emulation will always be a pipe dream, but is there room for optimisation while maintaining transparancies?

As I'm in the comunity since a long time, I can say the problem is that there is no "from scratch" SNES emulator. And no one get interested to rewrite from scratch an snes emulator when there is more interesting platform to emulate. So a 60fps with 210mhz is, in my oppinion a pipe dream too...

Anyway, Thanks Rivroner and Headover for your hard works ! You Rulz
paxl13

The SDD1 decompression packs don't seem to be available anywhere (old broken links).

They would have been alot more popular years ago before the decompression was cracked. The only people that need the SDD1 packs now are people with slow machines that can't decompress quickly on the fly.

I found good info on the topic here http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1410475

Pardon my ignorance here (I've no idea about SDD1), but if the decompression has been figured out, then surely some one can write a simple program that can decompress and create these packs, and possibly later on, decompress them on rom load?

Back