Pocketsnes 6.4.2 By Headoverheels

Yes SDD-1 is well documented.

There are tools to generate GFX packs from the binary image itself. There pre-decompressed packs available too.

Also I've gotten tired of waiting for someone to actually optimize the PocketSNES transparency code. I'll do it myself now If I can. (I think it'll give a 10-20fps boost) However a 100% speed at 250Mhz will still be just out of reach. (darn sound on the 1st core still)

DO NO PEOPLE LIKE SNES GAMES HERE?!!?? :angry:

Its like nobody cares.

(FFS have you played Front Mission: Gun Hazard yet? -- good stuff!)

imhotep said:
The SDD1 decompression packs don't seem to be available anywhere (old broken links).
There are some webs with the gfx packs. Just search in google for "peaso.com star ocean"

Last edited by a moderator:
Series-8 said:
Also I've gotten tired of waiting for someone to actually optimize the PocketSNES transparency code. I'll do it myself now If I can.
That phrase sounds just like what everyone else has said. However, even with full documentation to the snes graphics hardware, they usually give up before they have something that can get anywhere near the speed and compatibility of the existing code base.

That was the reason behind my idea of allowing people to switch transparency and other rendering stuff mid-game using simple key-sequences. It seems like no one cares about that though :(

Squidge said:
It seems like no one cares about that though :(
I always thought it was a good idea, and as I said in this thread SS is still my main SNES emulator of choice. Unless I see some notable reasons to switch in this release I'll stick with SS even after this. It is true though that everyone seemed jump ship to PocketSnes and never look back. I never got it either. :unsure:

Series-8 said:
Also I've gotten tired of waiting for someone to actually optimize the PocketSNES transparency code. I'll do it myself now If I can. (I think it'll give a 10-20fps boost) However a 100% speed at 250Mhz will still be just out of reach. (darn sound on the 1st core still)

Its like nobody cares.

(FFS have you played Front Mission: Gun Hazard yet? -- good stuff!)
If you think you can do it, then go for it man! I've seen you talk about interesting SNES concepts for ages. You know more about your own ideas than anyone. Put some of that knowledge to work. :)

Squidge said:
That was the reason behind my idea of allowing people to switch transparency and other rendering stuff mid-game using simple key-sequences. It seems like no one cares about that though :(
We're all family here. If you shoehorned your stuff into the existing Pocketsnes codebase, I don't think anyone would mind. :) Alternatively, you could make a new version of SS with the changes made here. Sounds good to me. B)

I'd be more interested in figuring out why so many people prefer PS over SS. Is it the gui? Emulation? etc.

Squidge said:
I'd be more interested in figuring out why so many people prefer PS over SS. Is it the gui? Emulation? etc.
I don't know, I personaly dont use much my '2x for snes emulation [ I mostly use it as a mame arcade on the go ].

On topic: I did'nt though a SNES game could be that beautiful :p and it lesser hard to run than ff6 [ witch is ... SLOW at 240 Mhz ]

Thank guys for your works.
paxl13

Squidge said:
For me the sound ;)
The rest is like the same, same performance in same conditions more or less.

The gui is not important to me ;)

I use both ;)

paxl13 said:
midget35 said:
So please don't think I'm ungrateful in asking this, but! - is a speed increase possible in the future? Is PocketSnes ever likely to get to a 50-55 FPS with 210mhz or less? I guess speedy FX chip emulation will always be a pipe dream, but is there room for optimisation while maintaining transparancies?

As I'm in the comunity since a long time, I can say the problem is that there is no "from scratch" SNES emulator. And no one get interested to rewrite from scratch an snes emulator when there is more interesting platform to emulate. So a 60fps with 210mhz is, in my oppinion a pipe dream too...

Anyway, Thanks Rivroner and Headover for your hard works ! You Rulz
paxl13

I am not a coder or something like this, i have only reported about the release in gp32spain ;)

I think that the only opportunity to improve speed is taking sound chip to 2nd core but it is a lot of work for maybe 7 frames or so.And well, starting from scratch an exclusive GP2X emulator, but that is something that will never happen at this moment i think.

Anyway today there is a lot of games running at 60 fps at 200 mhz ;) But there is a lot of important games that run like 30 or so.So it depends of the games you like and if you like the transparencies ON you will be happy or not so happy :D

Knoxximus said:
Rivroner, is there anyway you could implement a button config like PicoDrive has? I'm still having the mapping issue with actual SNES pads that I detailed in the 6.3 release post. I have an F200 if that matters or not. Any suggestions?
I have asked Headoverheels and he has said that every snes pads is different and that is the problem, he has said that maybe he will write something like in Picodrive ;)

If anybody needs the old decompression pack for Star Ocean, I have it kicking about on my computer. I could stick it up on Rapidshare or something if people wanted :)

DJprocyon said:
If anybody needs the old decompression pack for Star Ocean, I have it kicking about on my computer. I could stick it up on Rapidshare or something if people wanted :)
i think there's a specific site people would be interested in seeing it at, one where you can get gp2x related things from "seeders" as part of a "swarm", etc.

squidgesnes has some rockin' menu icons i hear.

After some playing on Star Ocean, this games rocks on the '2x at 240 Mhz :p Give me a 45 fps in battle with transparency + 8000 Hz sound :p on map it's 20-30 fps tough but.

This game is graphicly impressive.... I'd have though this was possible on the SNES :p

paxl13

Squidge said:
For me I use PocketSNES because it seems to have better sound. The main thing though is that SS doesn't read my ZIP files. I don't have much card space left on my 4 gb card to extract all of my SNES ROMs to non-compressed files, they won't fit and it is a waste of space. If it supported zips better I would use it more as many games run faster with SS.

The problem with zip in last SSnes build is a little bug that was not in previous versions.

For me the main problem is the sound, it´s better at same khz in PocketSnes.

With rasters and transparencies enable in both emulators the differences are minimum in my opinion.

The problem is not what emulator is better (or favourite of someone) or worse, the problem is what we want an emulator running at least at 40 fps at 250 mhz, 22khz sound and transparencies ON a Super Mario Kart game :D

I think that if all the coders that have worked on differents SNES emulators will join and work together in some differents parts of the code, we will have at least a 15 frames better emulator using the 2nd core.

Dreams are free :D

Rivroner said:
I think that if all the coders taht have work on differents SNES emualtors will join and work together in some differents part of the code.
AFAIK both emus use the same snes9x/yoyofr's os9x derived emulation code (which is a huge mess, I remember myself messing it up even more ;)).
PocketSNES only has different renderer and uses different sound output method.

Hmm.... from the feedback on this thread:

say we get a 7fps increase by shifting the sound to another core.

And a 15 fps increase optimizing transparencies...

then say we can leech another 3 fps through general optimization & tweaking...

there would be a possibility of getting another 25 fps increase???

That would be enough to run most games at 200,would it not?

Can someone bring my sorry, hopeful ass back down to earth plese?

Just throwing this out there... Would it be possible to use HLE on the SFX games that use 3D and for instance use GPU940 to render the polygons?

I'm not saying it's an easy task and I certainly don't know enough to do it, but may be an easier route than trying to optimise the hell out of the SFX code...

For anyone that still hasn't got the decompression pack try searching google with the keywords, star ocean decompression pack.

The first site in the list is the one you want, don't click on the translate this site option otherwise the download link won't work.

I think that it's more important that all games are supported before we go on an optimize-fest. I'm still waiting for SA-1 emulation so I can play Mario RPG and Kirby's Dreamland 3.

Once all games are playable (even slowly), THEN we should move to optimization.

Just been playing star ocean, for the first time I might add, and what a nice little RPG its turning out to be!

I also use both SS and PS btw, I tend to use the one that has been updated last :)

Series-8 said:

If you can pull a 10fps increase in most games with transparency on, I'll PayPal you 50 USD. Not much, but it's something... I love SNES emulation, even though there aren't a whole lot of games I'd like to play, a speed increase is always good in my book. Plus, this system is a poop to emulate, and I just want to see it done better.

Oh, by the way, if anyone could add that GPFCE soft stretch, that would be awesome! :D

Back