"estimated" Release Date

Would you rather wait for a completely working pandora or not?

• Yes! I need fully working wifi!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No, the updates will do.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

I think quite a few people on this forum could write a WiFi driver, never mind about installing one, for now we can put up with the Apple/Palm method of syncing the Pandora/SDHC card to our PC`s in order to get updates and applications onto it (in those cases where a persons WiFi router and the Pandora are having issues), my Router is Linux powered, so I have high hopes it will be compatible with no fiddling required.

edit: the EEEPC had some issues early on with the WiFi refusing to connect to some routers, IIRC it was sorted later on, if you have the same issue, maybe you could see what EEEPC users did to get their wireless working ?

I'm pretty sure on July. Unless something goes wrong with the dpad redesign we will be good to go.

Edit: What I can't promise is 100% wifi compatibility, that's still a work in progress, but it won't stop us shipping as I'm pretty sure you are all capable of installing an updated driver.
Just to let you know, my new camera has arrived. If you do want some product shots of the Pandora or accessories for promotion etc of the second batch and onwards, let me know. Would be good for me to increase my portfolio too. you can see some example shots here there are only a couple though.

Last edited by a moderator:
any software issue shouldnt be a problem for shipping :) installing updates is no problem :)

I really do hope so the pandora's will be shipped in the beginning of July. because shipping will take another 7 to 10 days.

Guys from the netherlands can better cancel their UPS service, because customs love to check UPS packages, they dont really care about airmail.

I'm pretty sure on July. Unless something goes wrong with the dpad redesign we will be good to go.

Edit: What I can't promise is 100% wifi compatibility, that's still a work in progress, but it won't stop us shipping as I'm pretty sure you are all capable of installing an updated driver.
I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone when I say that is no problem whatsoever. I fully expected there to be a lot of software updates as the kinks get worked out, and jumping through the occasional hoop to get things working seems to be perfectly acceptable for the initial target audience.

I actually find discovering, reporting and fixing bugs to be a sort of fun game. That's why I'm typing this from an alpha of Kubuntu 9.10. Hehe

craig, im also curious if that date July is for the first 500 units only....? or for all of 'em?
I assume he means all 4000 because that is what the Open Pandora team has been telling people by email who just recently ordered.
i didnt received anything....emailed them...
What aaronson means, is that they (OpenPandora) have been adding an estimated delivery time (july) in the order confirmation emails (or something similar) of people, who have ordered recently. They have not emailed everyone (at least, not me).

Sorry if I misunderstood your misunderstanding :)

Is bluetooth similarly affected? I'm hoping not, although admittedly at this point, it would have to have be stomped on by an elephant for me to suggest delaying. I assume that one can use bluetooth like wifi, although on a shorter, range smaller bandwidth basis.

But yes, good call, I doubt many people here are going to say keep working on it, if that's the only major issue.

Yeah, if it's a software issue instead of a hardware issue (which the references to "drivers" strongly suggests) just send it over and we can fix it later. An incomplete Pandora with the ability to become a complete Pandora without taking it apart is better than no Pandora at all.

Yep, as long as a printed sheet of paper is included with all affected shipments (for those that do not frequent this board) that explains the issue & how it will be resolved, that should be no worries at all.

My aspire one's drivers were fairly poor at first, some open access points it would just not connect to at all even though other people could no problem.

Updated the driver a month later and it fixed it. The issue with the Pandora will likely be similar to this, just immature wireless drivers that aren't 100% compatible with certain routers that have their own quirks.

I have a whole hoard of Wifi sticks and bluetooth dongles which appear to work with Linux. I'll take a pandora even if it's wifi is damaged beyond repair!

I'm a reasonable bystander (that is, the man on the Clapham Omnibus) as I own virtually every console on the planet (including wiz and dingoo) - but the lawyer in me tells me that on the balance of probabilities, we won't be seeing pandora in July2009 (and I ordered at the outset via c/c which was reversed) :)

That said, when it is released and available for c/c purchase, I'll be there with bells on :)

Cheers

Simon

I can't speak to the balance of probabilities, but surely the law of averages says something has to go horribly right soon.

I'm not a lawyer of course, but I do have a suit.

The Freerunner (OpenMoko Phone) was finally released after lot of delays with the assurance that the hardware was fine and there were only some software issues.
After release it became clear the hardware had issues and people are still waiting for software to make the phone usable.

I am not saying that we will see the same here, but I think the hardware should be tested with fully functional software before it is sent to the customer. I am prepared to wait a lot longer if necessary and I really hope Craigix will not release an unfinished product because of the pressure of the community. Don't mention release dates, just release when it is finished.

As far as I remember (haven't talked to Michael or craig lately since I was busy working with my normal life job) the hardware IS being tested and approved to work fine.
There's a minimal testing image which tests all the hardware (also raw WiFi is working there, it initializes fine and discovers other networks), however, doing a fully working driver for the normal OS is not that easy :)

was finally released after lot of delays with the assurance that the hardware was fine and there were only some software issues.
After release it became clear the hardware had issues and people are still waiting for software to make the phone usable.

I am not saying that we will see the same here, but I think the hardware should be tested with fully functional software before it is sent to the customer. I am prepared to wait a lot longer if necessary and I really hope Craigix will not release an unfinished product because of the pressure of the community. Don't mention release dates, just release when it is finished.
The Freerunner is a phone, and everything works fine except from the GSM module.
As the Pandora doesn't have a GSM fucntion :))) it will be alright.
Also we have loads of movies of it running games etc, so that won't be the issue...
The only issue that can occur is that the OS is not perfect, but hey! that is not a problem because you can edit it yourself ;)

I am sure the Pandora is going to be great piece of hardware for a good price.
Just sit back and relax until it arrives.
When it arrives, make some beautifull apps etc and share it :D

Wifi is problematic due to vendor quirks. You can write your driver to the specifications and it still may not work.

It's best to get it out there, get some user testing and information back then fix it.

Early adopters always expect a few bugs :)

Back