Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

For the current RPi port to be usable on Pyra it'd need OGL ES support. Is that currently implemented?
It hasn't been implemented in the latest kernel I'm running, but luckily we have a boot menu and I can backup to the prior Kernel which does (4.6 If I recall correctly?). From what aTc says the SGX patches are still a bit of a hack job from what I gathered, it will need to be fixed at some point.

Stealth link to the RPi 2/3 build I gave out to testers if anyone wants to take a crack at it:

http://drastic-ds.com/drastic_rpi.tar.bz2

Still not really an official first release, needs documentation and maybe some more tweaks. But it's probably not a huge problem posting a link here now.

Just please let me know if something's wrong with it, if you do use it.

EDIT: Oops, I got the file extension wrong! Try now.

Last edited:
Aren't there enough DS emulators for Windoze already?
http://www.zophar.net/ds.html
If I ask there is a good reason. Compared to Drastic, the other emulators are not really good, and run poorly on the GPD WIN.

Drastic runs really well on the Win through Android emulation, but the Android emulation isn't great on it, and for Nox no gamepad support.

you do realize drastic is written for arm and not x86?

you are basically asking for a full rewrite.
I am asking if he plans, I'm not asking anything else, of course I would be glad he would.

I don't get why people are so protective, as if I was trying to steal a major secret.

Well it would make the arm world less attractive for some people if this amazing emulator would be port to Windows, as it's a masterpiece, then?

Lots of people are waiting for a release on Windows, I bought the android version and would do the same for a Windows version if it's released.

Since no NDS emulator is efficient on the GPD WIN, Drastic would be really popular.

I heard that Exophase had already some builds but I'm not sure about that so I'm asking, what's wrong about that?

Last edited:
I am asking if he plans, I'm not asking anything else, of course I would be glad he would.

I don't get why people are so protective, as if I was trying to steal a major secret.

Well it would make the arm world less attractive for some people if this amazing emulator would be port to Windows, as it's a masterpiece, then?

Lots of people are waiting for a release on Windows, I bought the android version and would do the same for a Windows version if it's released.

Since no NDS emulator is efficient on the GPD WIN, Drastic would be really popular.

I heard that Exophase had already some builds but I'm not sure about that so I'm asking, what's wrong about that?

No. You already have DeSmuME on Windows and it works very well.

Of course the GPD Win may not be fast enough to run it (did you try though?) and if that's the case that's not a Windows problem, that's a GPD Win users problem and that's a much narrower market than "Windows users" as you claim.

No. You already have DeSmuME on Windows and it works very well.

Of course the GPD Win may not be fast enough to run it (did you try though?) and if that's the case that's not a Windows problem, that's a GPD Win users problem and that's a much narrower market than "Windows users" as you claim.

No what? I already know Desmume and no it doesn't work well on the Win, and the system requirements aren't so low, so it's not only about the GPD WIN but the Intel processor in general.

Everyone knows that Drastic is the best. Even if in the worse case only the GPD WIN's owner would buy Drastic it would be several thousand people.

In the video that you show, the system is quite powerful, you dare to say it runs well.... this guy has a gaming computer. Ridiculous.

The GPD WIN's processor isn't the weakest one, lots of tablet are in the same situation, even with my Razer Edge Pro (Intel Dual core I7 3517U 1,9GhZ/3GhZ, Geforce 640Lme) I cannot run full-speed Desmume with the graphics enhancement.

You're kinda fun, you think I'm asking your agreement about Drastic?

I don't care about your narrow mindedness , you talk about narrow market since I'm talking about the GPD WIN but I'm quite sure you hope that Exophase port Drastic to the Pyra and optimise it. Because it's an Arm system you think it's not narrow? Not at all.

Everything is up to Exophase, I just ask him and of course I hope he would consider it, I cannot do much more and won't blame him if not. He is the boss.

You, you are nothing, I didn't and don't ask you anything.

Last edited:
I get a 404 error on that link :(

My mistake, I typed the wrong file extension. Updated now.

I know you work quite hard, I was wondering if you were planning to release a version for the GPD WIN?

At this point I think I'd like to just release a Windows version in a while. Lordus already had a build running on standard Windows desktops, and we were working on UWP but I don't know if I'll bother with that now.

you do realize drastic is written for arm and not x86?

you are basically asking for a full rewrite.

It's not as optimized for x86, but it's still supported. Version 2.5.0.0 included several more x86 optimizations for 3D rendering in particular. I spent several hours writing awful SSSE3 code, I'd be nice to see it get used somewhere other than the increasingly rare x86 Android device ;p

My mistake, I typed the wrong file extension. Updated now.

At this point I think I'd like to just release a Windows version in a while. Lordus already had a build running on standard Windows desktops, and we were working on UWP but I don't know if I'll bother with that now.

It's not as optimized for x86, but it's still supported. Version 2.5.0.0 included several more x86 optimizations for 3D rendering in particular. I spent several hours writing awful SSSE3 code, I'd be nice to see it get used somewhere other than the increasingly rare x86 Android device ;p
Thank you for your hard work, we really appreciate it.

Does Lordus needs beta tester?

@Exophase: Well I tried it on the OMAP5 devboard, it was worth a shot, but it looks like it was compiled against some broadcom specific library. libbcm_host.so

Last edited:
Don't know if it works, but searching for a solution to port stuff from the Rpi world (bcm_host related) i found this library shim by @notaz
http://git.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/...it;h=68c7cf507bc87302e2598d43d85a3315e6958ae8
Hehe. I started looking that way (doing a shim of bcm_host), but yeah, you end up having to overload a few egl function, so I stopped (I didn't want to spend too much time on that, that was just a 10min experiement). I see notaz have done them :)

But that doesn't change my question about a non-RPi build of Drastic if possible.

this; tried to run in a Orange Pi (Mali400) and it complained about bcm host and vcm

btw, first post in years, it's awesome to still see some action here
Yup. Welcome back. The Pyra is nearing completion. Im not sure if you have been keeping up with news.

Back