Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

Discussion in 'Software Releases' started by Exophase, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Wally

Wally I am a banana! Staff Member

He's fine, he's just drifting around.

2. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

I'd have thought he'll make an appearance when the Pyra promotion starts up properly. I can understand what it's like to be honest, the rush of blood to the head when you come up with a new idea that can only power you so far into the long stretch of bug fixes and long term support at the end.

3. asimov-solensan

asimov-solensan Member

If Pyra doesn't get a port of drastic will be a huge drawback for me. I really enjoy this emulator in Pandora and was expecting to see the doble resolution feature running in Pyra.

PokeParadox and levi like this.
  4. PowerGod

PowerGod Advanced Member

To be fair, no one was expecting this on the Pandora, and the device was already awesome for what it was already running at the time.

This emulator just happened in a time when DS emulation was considered simply impossible on it... and was almost used as a joke for new people entering the forum...
    so, when @Exophase uncovered his secret work for the coding competition people shouted for the miracle !!

In the worst case, maybe the Android version could be used on the Pyra in some way.

5. b_o_b

b_o_b Advanced Member

Best way to contact Exophase is posting or PM here https://drastic-ds.com/index.php
    Wouldn't surprise me if ED is already/still in contact with him though.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  6. Sebastian Castro

Sebastian Castro Member

Exophase is just fine, he just updated Drastic on November 2nd 2018 on Google Play where he is monetizing it.

Soon after he released it for the Pandora he said he was using the platform to develop it, but he might move away to Android, which he did. He just left the current version for Pandora as a "thank you", I guess.

I don't think the Pyra would have any problem running other emulators (I don't know of) or the current one form the Play store running on Android.

It would b nice if he releases a native version though. ED enabled payed apps on the Repo a long time ago.

Idk if it's just me, my Pandora or a Drastic limitation, but I have never been able to use the touchscreen...

PokeParadox and Nintendo like this.
  7. Klumpen

Klumpen Run away! Run away!

Yes, but afaik they are still DRM-free.
    I really hope there'll be a DRM-free NDS emulator on the Pyra, paid or not.

8. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Yeah, but I know for me at least, I've never shared the copy of Super Hexagon I bought with anyone. I personally doubt anyone here shared anything they bought either.

Edit: Thus the fact it was sold without DRM is neither here nor there in practice.

9. Klumpen

Klumpen Run away! Run away!

I wouldn't share a commercial Pyra app either and haven't done so with those I bought for the Pandora, not that there'd be a lot of users able to use it anyway.

10. asimov-solensan

asimov-solensan Member

I don't have any faith on running the android version in Pyra. It has been demand for long in linux desktops and still the few projets that raised didn't get enough momentum.

I would gladly pay for this emulator in Pyra.

11. Hồng Thất Công

Hồng Thất Công Đả Cẩu Bổng Pháp

Exophase is currently working hard on a native 3DS emulator for our Pandora ;)

12. NovemberJoy

NovemberJoy Still Fresh

With the level of power it has, the Pyra could probably handle DesMuMe, although it may or may not handle more demanding settings or increased internal resolution. Whether or not it could handle 3DS emulation in any capacity, though, is the next question...or anything from Dolphin or PCSX2, for that matter.

13. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Hardcore Member

Are you sure? I thought I heard that a 3DS emulator wasn't even being considered for the Pyra.

Nintendo likes this.
  14. ElPoco

ElPoco Very Active Member

We all know that the difficult part is that the Pandora doesn't have a 3D screen. But he was able to find a way to emulate the NDS even though the Pandora has only one screen so I'm pretty confident.;)

15. asimov-solensan

asimov-solensan Member

Really? I thought that all games for 3DS can happily run in 2D screen, hence the 2DS. You can even disable totally the 3D effect on a regular 3DS. I always felt it was a visual gimmick but in any way was necessary for the gameplay.

TrashyMG likes this.
  16. ElPoco

ElPoco Very Active Member

That was a joke referencing all the people who, in the early days of the Pandora, asked for a NDS emulator and made long posts explaining how they could solve the two screen issues as if that was the hard part and getting the rest to work was just a piece of cake.

FBnil and levi like this.
  17. NovemberJoy

NovemberJoy Still Fresh

3DS emulation is a little bit more iffy, but with the power of optimization and the greater power of the Pyra, it might be possible. There are a few games that can apparently run well even on the original GPD Win through Citra, so the Pyra should at least be able to play those.

18. asimov-solensan

asimov-solensan Member

Sorry, didn't got the joke. And yes, I remember those discussions.

19. Alperoot

Alperoot Welcome! Welcome to Airstrip 17.

Isn't the Pyra still weaker than the GPD Win? I don't think Citra would work properly on the Pyra, at least not without some device specific optimizations. It's Citra that's unlikely to work though, you never know what comes out of this community.

20. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Sarcasm Dispenser Staff Member

Well before Drastic originally came out on the Pandora, every other attempt required throwing a lot of CPU cycles at it on powerful Desktops. The Pandora is essentially the same as a first generation Android phone, yet it can do amazing things. Likely just being blessed with a community with a few excellent coders that can do amazing things. Sure GPD Win is more powerful, but there isn't many that are spending time trying to optimize Desktop ports...