Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

Anyway, in the .ovr files...so called because they over-ride the defaults of a particular .pnd, you can set things like clockspeed within them...if you want a certain program to run at a higher or lower than normal clockspeed, you can do this.

This can help save your battery, for example, if you do not need a lot of clockspeed to just play music, for example. You could write an .ovr file for your .pnd file that plays your music, and set a lower clockspeed in the .ovr file, and then that particular program will run at the lower clockspeed.

Actually  the CPU speed setting is for specifying the minimum speed the application is designed/known to work at,  the idea being that if you run such an application when the pandora is clocked lower, it will prompt you to increase the speed.   You can't actually use it to reduce the CPU speed.

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
See, now I did not know this.

Because I don't use the .ovr files for that purpose.

I have just seen "clockspeed" set in the .ovr files before.

As I said, I use them just to give my icons friendlier names.  Like, for example, instead of DraStic...and having to remember that it is Nintendo DS...my icon simply says Nintendo DS.

I had to resort to this, because I shrank my icons to fit more on my screen.  So it is not always immediately obvious what the icon is when it is as small as I have it...I can now fit 45 icons on my front screen.

I'm glad to hear that. Does something like a worklog document exist for DraStic?

If one is curious why one has to close and reopen the lid of the DS in Phantom Hourglass, here is the relevant part of a walkthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/JO8jH52rOiE?feature=oembed
I've packed and attached the savegame of "Phantom Hourglass" European version exactly at the moment when one has to close and reopen the lid. It's a .dss file.

Exophase, maybe it comes in handy for you?

savegame.zip

Attachments

• savegame.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 164
I'm glad to hear that. Does something like a worklog document exist for DraStic?

If one is curious why one has to close and reopen the lid of the DS in Phantom Hourglass, here is the relevant part of a walkthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/JO8jH52rOiE?feature=oembed

Confirmed:  The feature works for Phantom Hourglass.

Thanks for the savestate,  I haven't got to that point in my own playthrough yet.

- Neelix

I think i miss something about the pnd magic. The file cpuspeed in the pnd is used to set the cpuspeed. Why it have more migth than an ovr file i dont know. Why i have it there i dont remember. How it stays there over an pnd update i dont know.
But i could delete the file, and it stays gone after the next start of drastic.

I've bought some Lego games.

Tried Lego Indiana Jones but after the first level I got the save Error.

"Can't write to card. Please reinsert the cartridge".

Not the exact words, as I got the message in German.

I think you know what I mean, the save error.

Rest of the first level was fine :) .

EDIT:

Just one note: I had to use the microphone during the first level and it works perfect without any issues.

No additional settings needed.

:)

EDIT 2:

Tried with Lego Batman (also new game) and could save after the firts level.

So I'll try with Indiana Jones again. Maybe it was bad luck the first time.

I'll make a Savestate after the exit so I can upload it if I get an error again.

I have a bug to report. Its that saves aren't permanent in Summon Night X: Tears Crown (meaning that when loading the game after saving, it just shows the New Game option).

Re: Lego games, has anyone managed to get Batman 2 to run? Can't get past the accessing memory card screen at the start

Would somebody please undo the merge of the old 1.x compatibility list into the new one? It was moved for a reason :|

Done. Double7 also added some new entries and updates against the new version which I think I've managed to preserve. I can see what he was trying to do, and the old list was clearly delineated in the source code, but in practice it shouldn't be any harder for people to have the old list open in another window and copy the entry across into the new list when they re-test the game.

I have to ask again: how can I change the LANGUAGE of an game? EU Versions have various languages included, it's controlled over the bios and usualy an emu menu let you select the language (on a real DS, it has it's own menu for this). So how can I get access to the language selection in DraStic? I want to play my Advance Wars version in german instead of english, I know it is multi language.

^ you can use a hexeditor to modify the firmware file. I have done this to change the user name on mine. More information here.
Uh, I guess I prefer the "one button"-solution to switch the language...as soon  as it's included. ^^""

Use one of the firmware editor programs I linked to earlier.
This one? 

http://forums.ngemu.com/showthread.php?t=105839

You need to be logged into this Forum to download things. I've searched the web and found it elsewere. It worked, even my (ingame) savegames still work, Advance Wars is now in german, thanks. :) .

Maybe a future drastic version can allow to change the DS language without editing the firmware itself, like the real NDS setup. 

Well, if you still have your DS and a way to dump the firmware, simply set the language on there and dump a new set of firmware. To switch you'd need to replace the firmware files in DraStic's appdata folder, which could be automated using launcher scripts to turn it into a one click solution (even if the process to get there is a little more involved).

To be honest, Gausen's link looked pretty easy to follow to me (once I scrolled down to the slightly wonky English translation), but YMMV. Hack the language byte, regenerate the CRC, slap that in and you're good to go, I think.

I was out of the NDS topic for a while, and yesterday I tried the new version on my new 1Ghz... (set at 800 by the way)

THAT WAS INCREDIBLE !!! O_O I wasn't expecting such a speed improvement !!

The Pokemon/Dragonball 3D games I tried in the past were in slow-motion expecially in the intro movie, but now they are so fucking fast !!!

There's just maybe a little frame drop here and there but the improvement is really HUGE !!

Anyway I was hoping that the Italian language freeze in Brain Training was resolved, but it's still there... but I'm a patient man and I don't lose hope  :D

Thanks very much Exophase

I have a problem with zelda spirit tracks. When you have to blow into the microphone to play the flute, it does not work. I thought first that my pandora was not configured well and that the microphone was not working. But I tried : http://exophase.devzero.co.uk/micrecord.nds and it works with no problem, so i think it's a problem with the emulator...

More info : 1Ghz pandora.

EUR Spirit tracks Rom

I have a savestate right where the problem occurs if it helps

I can add an entry to the Drastic Compatibility list, but I'm not 100% sure if this is a problem with the emulator or my configuration so ...anyone else having the same problem?

(BTW I'm very pleased with this emulator that is working far far better than all the other emulator I tried :) , very good work!! )

Back