Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

Yes it's possible, but would require a ton of work, and would dramatically increase the cost of emulation since DraStic uses software rendering. Seeing as how DraStic targets lower end ARM hardware there simply isn't a glut of left over processing power to handle this big increase in emulation overhead.

The problem with doing it for PCs is the C-based renderer just isn't nearly as optimized. Maybe one day I can see what it's like on current hardware. That desmume hack uses it with its OGL renderer - I'm not interested in trying hardware renderer so you won't get that approach from DraStic.

I just upgraded DrasTic to the newest version in the pnd store. The improvements are very noticeable with most games. Thank you very much Exophase.

I've just read all the pages from the 23rd of June up until now and i couldn't see anyone else mention this bug (although one similar mentioning the Pandora button, with outdated firmware). Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but could someone please confirm this.

I'm running a 1ghz Pandora, SuperZaxxon 1.55, and Drastic r2.01p

To reproduce the bug run any game. Open the DraStic menu, select 'change options', and change the 'screen scaling' to '1x : 2x ' or '2x : 1x' (the bug occurs under both). Resume the game loaded. Finally, either press the Pandora button, or put the unit to sleep. The Pandora button bugs it up very badly. putting it to sleep does not bug it up, but resuming does. If you put it to sleep with the switch, you can resume, and then change the 'screen scaling' and the Pandora returns to its normal self. If you have your Pandora set to sleep when the lid closes, and you put your Pandora to sleep by closing the lid; on resume it is so badly bugged up, i've needed to remove the battery to restart.

Can you explain what you mean when you say it 'bugs up'?

It sounds a little like the situation I have where the screen tends to corrupt if I low power the system, but I'm not on the latest SuperZaxxon yet, so I'm waiting until I get round to trying it out with that update before reporting anything again.

The 2x screen goes blank and the 1x screen is a mass of purple/pinkish glitchy image.

Just induced it again, and the hard reset work great. Thanks ZXDunny

Hi Notaz, i've just done that. It upgraded two packages. It has fixed the issue partly. When the Pandora button is pressed now, it acts normally minimizing DraStic, and bringing up the xfce4 menu. When sleep is induced though, it still has the same issue with the mass of glitchy colour in the 1x window, but the 2x window is no longer black.

Previously the DraStic menu could not be initiated once gone glitchy. Now it can, which once done, and resumed a few times, it repairs the 1x window.

I'm probably filling these posts with irrelevant details, but i'm trying to be as detailed as possible so the problem can be diagnosed.

Is anyone else able to bring on this bug or is it just me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Notaz, i've just done that. It upgraded two packages. It has fixed the issue partly. When the Pandora button is pressed now, it acts normally minimizing DraStic, and bringing up the xfce4 menu. When sleep is induced though, it still has the same issue with the mass of glitchy colour in the 1x window, but the 2x window is no longer black.

Previously the DraStic menu could not be initiated once gone glitchy. Now it can, which once done, and resumed a few times, it repairs the 1x window.

I'm probably filling these posts with irrelevant details, but i'm trying to be as detailed as possible so the problem can be diagnosed.

Is anyone else able to bring on this bug or is it just me?
I can confirm that the same happens for me.

Don't really know what the problem can be with sleep, but you'd really may as well just exit the emulator if it's broken.

Don't really know what the problem can be with sleep, but you'd really may as well just exit the emulator if it's broken.
Having an EGL context up and putting the pandora to sleep have never given good results. You'll have this behaviour on every gles apps.

DraStic doesn't use GLES.

Anyway it seems DSS context restoring is broken on resume from suspend too, sounds like a kernel bug. I don't know when this can be fixed.

But if it only happens when one screen is 2x, perhaps there's a specific difference that is triggering it, or something it isn't doing when it's just 1:1 that acts as a workaround.

Version 2.1.0.0 is up on the repo. Readme updated at the usual place.

But if it only happens when one screen is 2x, perhaps there's a specific difference that is triggering it, or something it isn't doing when it's just 1:1 that acts as a workaround.
The difference is that mode uses /dev/fb0.

Nice update, though I didn't ask for anything, you surely know how to make a already great emulator brilliant.

The cheat support is really cool, the firmware setting is also good, my favourite gotta be that sexy savestate screenshot functionality.

So far I've tested pokemon heartgold, and it runs beautifully (it has graphics glitches all over the place in the previous versions).

This is the best thing happened to me today, thank you, Exo.

Version 2.1.0.0 is up on the repo. Readme updated at the usual place.

The difference is that mode uses /dev/fb0.
Whoa!  So fast!!! Thank you!

I have a bug to report. Its that saves aren't permanent in Summon Night X: Tears Crown (meaning that when loading the game after saving, it just shows the New Game option).
Exophase: Have you tried figuring out the reason for this problem?

Exophase: Have you tried figuring out the reason for this problem?
The game is Japanese-only, it's kind of impossible for me to test without a savestate and instructions on how to do it.

If you're using a translation patch then that could be related to the problem.

Back