Release Diablo 2

searched for an hour to find my LOD disk...  my son had it in a pile of disks on his desk.  Finally got it to run with out the disk after copying music and movies,  Just one word WOW!   Great work!!   Thanks!

Dos this also work on CC Pandora??

I know i have the Disc from a Videogame Magazine, somewhere..

Or should i wait for the Pyra, because better performance, and better controlls??

I cannot try this Game because i dont own the LOD Addon.

Is there a Way to play it on the Pandora without LOD?

Unfortunately not, it would double the work for me. Well not exactly double but still way too much investment for a small benefit.

Very impressive release! I thought Diablo 2 would never see the light of day in this way. Looks like notaz either has better tools to work with now, or has been on this for many months...

Around month and a half of after-work sparetime with my current tools.

Or should i wait for the Pyra, because better performance, and better controlls??

The game is locked at 25fps, it can't run faster than that and CC should be able to reach it with some overclock. As for controls, it's the same touchscreen controls, unless your pandora's nubs are bad and you want to play using nubs it won't differ much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't tried this yet, but already thoroughly impressed at the technical side of it. Getting x86 stuff working on ARM like this feels like it should be a proof of concept type thing, not a full blown solution that provides such excellent results. So cool. Thanks notaz for delivering once again :)

The game is locked at 25fps

Wasn't this cap only for the Multiplayer part? I thougth in single player it was possible to go higher, not sure if it was default or per command. But 25FPS are fine for D2, even if it sounds low. Different times back then. :D  

Question for the owners, It's compatible with the 16:9 hack/mod?

I know the multires hack seems to be stuck only supporting an older 1.12 version of D2. Also It uses an x86 compiled executable and dlls, so unless notaz spends time and effort porting this over I'd say no.

My guess it may be easier for Notaz to implement his own solution.

Hmm I just tried on both my Ghz and CC units with different sdcards and I always get the same crash without the game starting.

A Windows error dialog comes up and tells me "The program libd2game_sa_arm.exe as encountered a serious problem and needs to close... blabla". I will try to find out if there is anything else useful in the pndrun.out or some log. Guess this is because I did not install from my cds but used the download installer from battle.net instead. I did patch the game and everything. Maybe you can have a look into that notaz? There might be some people who will want to buy the game digitally.

well, I'll have to try installing from cd now I guess. Can't wait... going to play with my girlfriend. She likes crpgs, maybe I can get her hooked on diablo 2 ^^

haha yeah, it's so awesome it actually seems like a dream. I tried installing with the blizzard downloader again when I noticed, that the game crashes on my pc, too. Seems like I mixed versions and installed the Ǵerman version of diablo 2 and the English GB version of LOD. Now it actually starts on my laptop, will see if it runs on pandora as well.

EDIT: yep, versions were mixed up. it does work with the downloaded installer! yay!

Notaz, for the setup part, since I dont have a WIndows install anymore, is it OK to use WINE on a x86 pc for the setup steps you mentioned in the repo ? Would that work as well ? 

Notaz, for the setup part, since I dont have a WIndows install anymore, is it OK to use WINE on a x86 pc for the setup steps you mentioned in the repo ? Would that work as well ? 

I installed it on wine and copied it over and it works.

Also for anyone wondering I used the digital version from Blizzard's online store (the base game and expansion are each $10) so if you don't have a copy you can buy it there.

To me, this is a dream come true, the best thing that happens to pandora for a long time.

It runs perfectly controls as nice as it would be, and on top of that,it all sounds and looks as well as i remembered the game to be. 

Nice work, notaz. 

There's one problem that I'm not sure if it's on my end only; I get a crash every time i enter the burial ground. 

I got my install file from battle.net. Everything else works perfectly, again, I appreciate your effort, notaz.

dang... I got the message log crash as well after accidently clicking the icon. forgot to save before. otherwise the game works flawlessly and I even tried a local lan session between two pandoras. good times ahead :)

Had some good progress dealing with the crashes last night. For those who are curious, those crashes come from indirect (or function pointer) calls, where it's often impossible to know what the code is going to be called at compile time. This is the main weakness of the static recompilation method and that's why dynamic recompilation (aka dynarec/JIT) is more often used.

To expand a bit more, it's because of many different calling conventions (or ABIs) available on x86 Windows: there is "default" convention for C code, while there is different one chosen by Microsoft for their win32 API, and a few others used for C++ by Visual Studio (de-facto compiler of 2000-era windows games). They have solved this mess for x86_64 and ARM always had an unified calling convention, but it's a problem on x86 and after static recompilation it results in mixed up function argument order. For this I basically have to reproduce the crash and inspect the backtrace to see the mismatch, then annotate some functions and recompile.

So the crashes will only be fully solved if people hitting them will report. At later points of the game I'll need the character saves. But that's only after the next release as right now some rather common stuff crashes and it doesn't make sense for me to investigate issues that are likely already fixed.

There is another problem with the game not being designed for touchscreen, similar like it was with D1. Here it's mostly with picking the items while you hold alt - the game only reacts on things that had been highlighted first, like with the real mouse you first move the cursor on top of something, the game then does it's usual periodic processing on every tick (one tick every 40ms), and the item gets highlighted. Only highlighted item is processed, without that it just interprets it as "order the character to move here" command, and this is what happens when playing on the touchscreen.

Unfortunately trying to call the highlight code from click event handler causes the game to crash. Looks like the that code is mixed with rendering and other bits so can only work from the periodic tick handlers. For that I'm thinking about adding an optional hack where while alt is held, only pen-up even would send a click event, so you can highlight things without "clicking" somewhere. This will also allow things like inspecting the items without clicking on anything.

Back