GP32 Diablo On The Gp32...

Octavious

Programer Guru! ...in the making
Website
www.retroportables.4x2.net
well, hopefully soon I can get my GP32 and then I can learn more C and start working on the GP32 version of Diablo ( I want to make one...)
I will be attempting a full make, kinda like the FFT thing, but I proly wont make a working version ever lol, or at least until I learn more ( maybe a good time later)

ANYWAYS....

I was wondering if the Source code for Diablo, or any game similar to diablo, has been released? I havnt found the diablo source, but i havn't looked that hard

If not, Is ther source code for any RTS game like Warcraft or Starcraft or so on...
I would like to try that if the Diablo thing falls through( prolly will lol)
Thx for your help

~Octavious

PS, I should get my GP32 soon, I got 110 dollars today, and that puts me near the mark...

wow, another Ports Need Sources topic, but with a spin!

Dude, you will never find a Diablo source, and if you do, it's illegal unless Blizzard releases it, which it prolly never will

Slayers was a Diablo liek game made by koreans, but ti was an online game only

But there might be a code for some diablo liek engine, i duno, but i duno if it would fit on the GP32

I'm thinking you could probably find source for some sort of freebie version of another immitator game created by some lone coder, but in the end it's be easier to just make it from scratch.

Have a look here. Click on the Genre buttun to sort them into gametype order. Slash 'em looks very nice. It's compared to Diablo and is a direct decendent of Net Hack. Check out the others too.

Text from review below.

Slash'em (or Super Lotsa Added Stuff Hack - Extended Magic) is one of the latest progeny of Rogue, the game just about every other game has to admit is at least marginally tied to (or Colossal Caves). Specifically, it's a direct descendant of NetHack, which you may have heard of. If not, the gaming world is depicted using the characters from your keyboard, so it's not the most beautiful of games (but there's probably still some 20-year-old lines of code in the game from the original Rogue).
Where these "Roguelike games" really shine is in their complexity. You've probably heard of Diablo. Same basic idea. The game world is randomly generated each time you play, and (in this variant at least) the object is to reach the bottom of a deep dungeon. Of course, in Slash'em, in addition to slaying the grand foozle, you also have to steal a magical artifact that lets you escape, and drag the thing back up to the surface! You'll probably beat Diablo more times in any given time period than you will Slash'em. However, while Diablo has about 50 or so different monsters, and item combinations that are, for the most part, superficially different, Slash'em's bestiary ranges from 9 different dragons to demons that eat you whole (you have to hack your way out of its belly while it wanders around!) to shapechangers, shopkeepers, priests, personal pets for your character, and the famous gnomes of the underground mining town. The items are more interesting, too. In addition to swords, you can wield bullwhips (like Indiana Jones), flash photography (blinds the enemy), creatures you've killed that turn enemies to stone, or even a unicorn horn. Wanna keep a trophy of that last kill? Whip out your handy (and heavy) tinning kit, and put the body in a preserving tin can. Out of magic for that last spell? Why don't you write it down on a spare scroll with your handy magic marker? Crystal balls, magic lamps, they're all there. This great complexity is what brings you back to the game. You will be shocked at some of the completely obscure things you try that work! There's always something new. For anyone who likes Roguelike games, Slash'em is simply a must-have.

I did some seaching and I will proly attempt the Diablo idea , but I Found a game called FreeCraft and the file says it has code, ( havn't checked yet ) and I had heard that it was given a cease and decist (spell??) and its illegal now??? Well if it is, then I will do a diablo thing eventually. If not, then I might make a thing like a RTS

By the way, has anyone tried the CnC demo yet??
Its pretty good. Wonder if that is open source so I could get some suggestions..

~Octavious

freecraft got sued or somtin using :Craft: in the name, its a RTS like Starcraft last i knew

all legal code last i checked with media sorces

FreeCraft WAS a WarCraft II clone which ran on Linux and Windows, but you needed the Warcraft II cd for it. Then Blizzard sued them :angry: .

It would be cool if someone ported it to the GP32 though.

Back