Diablo III Online Only

Except how can they tell that I pirated it and not simply decided to not buy it?
You personally? They can't. They don't care whether you did or did not play their game, all they care about is some torrent had an extrapolated 5 million completed downloads, and that puts it in their heads that they need more DRM to stop these downloads. You might think "I am one of millions, it doesn't matter if I go along too" but the millions are all thinking the same thing. If you stop buying the game but they still detect large download volumes, they will continue to feel justified adding heavier DRM to their games. The only way to get them to pay attention is to stop buying AND downloading their games, and that doesn't happen so long as you keep thinking it is ok to do so.

Wait for it to be cracked? I will...

With this kind of model it would be difficult. You would have to know how the server and client communicate, emulate the connection, etc. That would be a lot of work.

Disclaimer: I don't condone cracking software.
No it's not difficult.

When it comes down to this you always end up with some kind of boolean switch... "Boot or not boot..."

The game code works the same... all you do is simulate the boolean switch to always return "true" - aka. "Boot always".

So I'm not too worried bout it. :D

Did it before myself, others did too, we will do again.

I have no doubts about it eventually being cracked. Sometimes though a simple boolean switch might not be enough.

Disclaimer: I still don't condone cracking software.

I did. Twice.

What's up?

LOL. :lol:

Well the thread is falling off topic.

EDIT: Ah that wasn't directed at you SONY. I was agreeing with your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except how can they tell that I pirated it and not simply decided to not buy it?
You personally? They can't. They don't care whether you did or did not play their game, all they care about is some torrent had an extrapolated 5 million completed downloads, and that puts it in their heads that they need more DRM to stop these downloads. You might think "I am one of millions, it doesn't matter if I go along too" but the millions are all thinking the same thing. If you stop buying the game but they still detect large download volumes, they will continue to feel justified adding heavier DRM to their games. The only way to get them to pay attention is to stop buying AND downloading their games, and that doesn't happen so long as you keep thinking it is ok to do so.

Torrents keep track of total downloads? Hot damn.

Might not be a problem now. But in 20 years from now when I want to play some old 2010s retro games, I will not be able to play it since blizzard brougt down the server/is out of business/internet burnt down during the zombie invasion.

Might not be a problem now. But in 20 years from now when I want to play some old 2010s retro games, I will not be able to play it since blizzard brougt down the server/is out of business/internet burnt down during the zombie invasion.

Hogwash!

I still play Diablo 2, only now I play it in 2560x1440 resolution and shoot magic spells 5 times further, mu ha ha! Hackers will prevail.

There will always be a way to defeat DRM. Even WoW, which uses the mother of all DRM ( a paid online subscription ), has free alternatives due to reversed engineered servers.

DRM is all about first-week sales, more or less. The gaming industry has become so fickle that nobody cares about anything more than this, unless they can sell you downloadable content.

Torrents keep track of total downloads? Hot damn.

Not quite, they keep track of seeds that have a complete download available.

D.
As well as the number of currently connected peers. All they have to do is find these torrents, connect to them, and start counting. And then multiply the whole thing by some number that they feel justifies the "actual" number of downloads that they weren't able to count.

What the DRM prevents is a) sharing a game between friends, b) second hand sales and c) it sometimes delays cracks and Scene releases.

Most companies are claiming to fight c) which is a battle they cannot win. In truth they care way more about reducing a) and b), but that's a hard point to sell to consumers, especially regarding point b).

this is only the beginning, the big distributors are just waiting for the day when they stream content off a server and no one has a copy of the real data but them.

And then I stop buying big name games altogether, unfortunately. I'm having plenty of fun with my indie titles. VVVVVV and cogs both have weeks of enjoyment in them, at least.

And then I stop buying big name games altogether, unfortunately. I'm having plenty of fun with my indie titles. VVVVVV and cogs both have weeks of enjoyment in them, at least.

100% agree. My internet connection sucks, and I prefer physical media. Though something like GOG.com is an exception.

this is only the beginning, the big distributors are just waiting for the day when they stream content off a server and no one has a copy of the real data but them.
This is already happening. OnLive is an example of it.

there will always be physical copies available, too much of a market in there to ignore it or sales, just as physical cds are still being sold, no matter how big itunes and amazon mp3 have become

there will always be physical copies available, too much of a market in there to ignore it or sales, just as physical cds are still being sold, no matter how big itunes and amazon mp3 have become

i dont think so, they require you to have a connection, next they just need to wait for the average bandwidth to increase. Its the ultimate DRM since no one ever can copy the data/binaries. They could also use the MMO subscription system for payment.

Onlive was the best case i know too, couldn't remember the name of it.

+1 But I can see CDs dying in a couple of years from now.

Ugh. I hate the idea of the "cloud". History will always repeat.

It may be good for enterprise, but not for the general consumer.

Back