Developer Fund

saboteur said:
I'd rather donate to specific software or dev's.

If I donate to a fund that is distributed, via whatever method, I want an assurance that I won't have to pay for the full final version, which means that the fund should only be open to open sourcefree software.

Just my two peneth.
Not everybody likes giving out their source, even if they are willing to give away the binary for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
fishybawb said:
Sounds complicated, open to much argument and unworkable to me. It appears to be with good intentions though :)
Not really all that complicated. craigix sets up and contributes to a development fund to sell more Pandoras. More software availability means more interest in Pandora and the possiblity of more sales since there a lot of consumers sitting on the fence because of Pandora's high price tag. It can be a win/win for the must have first buyers as more software on the Pandora means more games and applications for the initial consumers to play with so they have the option to contribute to this development fund and in return for doing so they have first avaliability to beta projects. And so on until craigix becomes a billionaire and is invited high end lavish dinner parties. Economics 101. :lol:

^ I think he meant the method of collecting and distributing funds and access to the Beta area was complicated, and open to argument which would in turn make it unworkable. Not the reason why the devs would want to do it was complicated.

Orkie said:
saboteur said:
I'd rather donate to specific software or dev's.

If I donate to a fund that is distributed, via whatever method, I want an assurance that I won't have to pay for the full final version, which means that the fund should only be open to open sourcefree software.

Just my two peneth.
Not everybody likes giving out their source, even if they are willing to give away the binary for free.

Yeah your right Orkie - my bad. The point still stands though. :)

Ahh you mean gratis software... I was confused as "free software" is actually a term to describe open-source software that is strictly following the rules of the GNU licenses (i.e. OSI approved and not some "yeah you can have a look at the source code but with several limitations" etc crap).

I don't think this was really ment to subsidise commercial game devs.

Julius said:
Ahh you mean gratis software... I was confused as "free software" is actually a term to describe open-source software that is strictly following the rules of the GNU licenses (i.e. OSI approved and not some "yeah you can have a look at the source code but with several limitations" etc crap).
Ahh, you are a mindless drone who blindly accepts whatever the FSF and OSI claim (i.e. they have no right to redefine a word's meaning, despite the fact that they consider themselves almighty and powerful saviours). I am officially changing the meaning of the word 'smelly' when used in the context of software to mean 'really cool', all must follow this since the SSF (Smelly Software Foundation) dictates it must be!

I also think it was terrible of FSF to name it 'free software', but many people know it as such and 'freeware' avoids confusion.

sindbad said:
I also think it was terrible of FSF to name it 'free software', but many people know it as such and 'freeware' avoids confusion.
Oh, I don't care what they call it provided idiots don't turn up and 'correct' me unnecessarily in a very patronising way when I am actually using the correct meaning of the word, and they are not.

TaG said:
^ I think he meant the method of collecting and distributing funds and access to the Beta area was complicated, and open to argument which would in turn make it unworkable. Not the reason why the devs would want to do it was complicated.
Ahhh yes that has me baffled as well. It's like one of the unanswerable riddles like "What is the sound of one hand clapping?". Or "If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it does it make a sound?".
"How do they get the caramel inside the Caramilk bar?" And the greatest mystery of all "What is the official release date of Pandora?" //cue gasps. Another chapter in Pandora's mystery theatre. :lol:

DisgruntleElf said:
Ahhh yes that has me baffled as well. It's like one of the unanswerable riddles like "What is the sound of one hand clapping?". Or "If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it does it make a sound?".
"How do they get the caramel inside the Caramilk bar?" And the greatest mystery of all "What is the official release date of Pandora?" //cue gasps. Another chapter in Pandora's mystery theatre. :lol:
Having just discussed these (mostly with myself) in #gp2xdev, I feel I can offer some answers.

1. The sound of one hand clapping is exactly the same as two hands (though probably quieter due to weaker muscles in your fingers than your arms), I have done it, you just need to make your fingers hit your palm hard enough.
2. Depends how you define 'sound'. If you define it as the interpretation of vibrations received through the ear, then no because nobody is there to take in the sound, nor to interpret it. If you just define it as the range of frequencies which the ear can detect and we perceive as sound, then yes, the tree does indeed make oscillations as it falls, some of which are in that range of frequencies. Though the 'actual' question is slightly different to what you have written.
3. They have a hollow half of the chocolate, fill it with hard caramel, add some enzymes which will slowly make it go soft then add the top half and seal.
4. There isn't one yet. Simplest to answer of the lot :).

Guyfawkes said:
It is not a bad thing to have loads of emulators but to me it seems all people are interested in is emulators and ports of existing software. The GP32 and GP2X are seen as emulation devices and from what I have been reading on the pandora forums it seems to be going the same way with people asking what can be emulated and ported.

That is obvious to me. Because Homebrew is not as good. Don't forget that the games for consoles are devolped by 5 to 20 people professionally. And homebres is developed by 1 to 5 people in their free time.

And additionally, I am not sure what you guys expect from the Pandora ( esp. 3d wise). I am not sure if you can imagine how difficult it is to make comlpex models and scenes. For simple models the gp2x has enuff power.

The conclusion: ports andemulators will give us the best games.

Creature XL said:
The conclusion: ports and emulators will give us the best games.
Well, ports are almost always of homebrew games, since commercial games don't give out their source to everyone to play with

Emulators always emulate old systems; generally homebrew is able to keep up about a generation behind commercial games

That said, there is a lot of crap homebrew. However, it's not a good conclusion

Creature XL said:
And additionally, I am not sure what you guys expect from the Pandora ( esp. 3d wise). I am not sure if you can imagine how difficult it is to make comlpex models and scenes. For simple models the gp2x has enuff power.
I'm fairly sure I can imagine the difficulty involved in complex models; I'm (though I say it myself) a fairly experienced 3d modeller. You have your facts mixed up a bit: for simple models the gp2x has next-to-no power - without some serious optimisations the gp2x really isn't capable of anything 3d. The Pandora, on the other hand, is meant to be the most powerful handheld so far, and a few million polys per second sounds okay for me. I'm not sure if it can cope with your l33t skills, though.

(in before Orkie kills you)

As a fund for community voted competition prizes, no problem - happy to donate centrally.

Anything else, forget it - I'll donate direct to the author if I feel they've done a good job. This is how it's worked with shareware and PD software forever.

It's pointless restricting access to betas, they'll simply get spread around anyway. Witness every other scene for evidence!

As for funding specific development, bounties are already commonplace in the open source world. Again the funds go directly to something I'm interested in.

Lastly - homebrew versus emulators/ports. If it's a good homebrew game, I'll donate. I've not seen many homebrew games that I've enjoyed playing for extended periods since the Amiga days. Bring back that kind of creativity!

How about the contributed funds are spead around on Bounties that the Pandora needs filled.

For Example: The Pandora needs a driver for some class of usb device. So Craig and Co post a bounty for that driver. This way any dev can take on the job, the money gets well spent, and no one feels the money was wasted?

The bounty, dev/devs involved, and claim all get publicly posted as well, so if you think the dev/devs involved did a bang up job, you can kick them a bit more personally.

Kyosys said:
can we make the donation seperated from the payment?
Probably, but I guess the point was that people are more likely to simple transfer 20 bucks more than make a extra transaction (sure they will think the will definitly do it, but then simple not "get around" to do it, but they still TOTALLY plan to do it sometime).

justthisguy said:
You have your facts mixed up a bit: for simple models the gp2x has next-to-no power - without some serious optimisations the gp2x really isn't capable of anything 3d. The Pandora, on the other hand, is meant to be the most powerful handheld so far, and a few million polys per second sounds okay for me.
You didn't get what I was on about.
I did not say that the pandora has no 3d power. It has a lot of it, it can render millions of polys per second :)

What I was on about is: WHO is gonna make use of it. Maybe I underestimate most guys here and there will be great games with great graphics. I just judge from the homebrew I have seen for GP2x. I am not an artist, I am programmer so maybe we should join forces :)

I have seen smooth 3d scenes on a 16MHz 68030 (which has very slow RAM). So I imagine that the gp2x could some cool 3d stuffs aswell. For the GP2x there is this gpu940, which does SW rendering on the 2nd CPU. However, AFAIK, no one has used it. Maybe its to diffucult to make models or scenes for a 3d game? I have no idea.

To make one point clear: I just want to remind all who expect high-end 3d-games, that it is lot of work to do. It is much more work then a puzzle game. I don't want to offend anyone.

Back