Plans For Commercial Games?

I read in retrogamer that the people who made geometry wars did a never released gp2x port, so i might see if they want to bring that to the pandora.

But the whole commercial games thing won't be my number one focus, we will likely be spending more time getting things like quake3 running to show off the hardware.

craigix said:
But the whole commercial games thing won't be my number one focus, we will likely be spending more time getting things like quake3 running to show off the hardware.
A ten years old game to show off the hardware, I'm disappointed ;) OpenArena on the Pandora with online mode enabled would be cool though :) If you have a chance to make the Pandora be more than an hobbyist emulation and homebrew device, don't let it go...some commercial indie games can't be a bad thing...

Bye, Magic Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
As for showing off the tech, I'd like to see some examples of USSE running off the pandora, there was a great looking video of a virtual displacement shader in comparison with DOT3 bump mapping on SGX hardware somewhere on the powerVR site, but I can no longer get on their pages.

EDIT:

Found it:
http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/insider/demo...apping_demo.asp
Parallax_Lrg.jpg

Lineus said:
Alex. said:
I want to see more games from Apex Designs, including a Pandora version of Payback :)

Thirded!

fourthed!
Although I would like to see Payback with better graphics and maybe be more 3D-ish unstead of just having a birds eye view of the game. Now that would be nice! B)

cappuchok said:
craigix said:
We would have had Pinball Dreams/Fantasies/Illusions too if GP/H had just paid what they owed to the author.
Ooh, so at some point Digital Illusions were interested in the GP2X? That's interesting (but hardly surprising considering their roots in the homebrew and demo scene). Perhaps they could be brought on board for the Pandora? Of course, if Amiga emulation is perfected on the Pandora, those who already own the Amiga version can just use that. But a commercial port of the 256-color versions (NOT the Spidersoft ones, please!) would be nice, no doubt.

hell, if pinball fantasies was ported to the pandora that alone would make me buy one (even though i already want one)

I think the pandora website should be something like the old tapwave site where you could buy games through tapwave to download, even 3rd party games. I think some of the prophets went to tapwave so it'd be a good way to give the creators some moneys and make it easy to get games, from just one source.

AnonymousTipster said:
All I mean is that I'd love to see some games that look like this:

game24-6.jpg

Rather than this:

throttleX01jpg.jpg
Based on my experience the second screenshot actually looks more fun to me... :unsure:

AnonymousTipster said:

EA and Ubisoft do crap, period. I rather would like to see people like INTROVERSION developing for the Pandora :)

True, a lot of the Monolithic Publisher's games are poor and repetitive. As was mentioned, no large publishers will see the benefit of developing for a 'niche' platform. Unfortunately this is a Catch-22 situation, as if a large publisher showed support for the system, it would massively increase media exposure of the system and sales, making it a viable platform. This, alas, is wishful thinking.

It might be possible to get some developers like Introversion onboard, and small time developers are more likely to take on a project like this (as there's no dev kit cost), and are more likely to respond to emails suggesting that they do so.

Well, Introversion make games with big investments. They most certainly won't make a game for P&|a. What they might do is ports but Darwinia and Defcon are probably too heavy on resources. I've seen that there is some sort of Uplink devkit available. Maybe somebody could use that to port the engine and then we could buy the content and play the game on P&|a.

AnonymousTipster said:

I want to see more games from Apex Designs, including a Pandora version of Payback smile.gif
That's the sort of developer that might work for the Pandora.
If the gp2x version of payback was at all profitable for Apex Designs, I expect they'd probably do a Pandora version too.
A Payback port would be great and probably not that much of an investment.

AnonymousTipster said:
EDIT:
I was actually just looking at some sales figures.
The GP2X was expected to reach 50000 units sold by Christmas 2006, without any commercial software.
The Gizmondo released with support from EA and Fathammer, launching with 14 commercial titles, but only sold 25,000 units.
If the Pandora is going to sell as well as the GP2X, then there is a chance that it could get the attention of larger publishers to make a few titles for it.
Well, the Gametrac (I'm still not using the new name... ) was a project by the Swedish mafia. They spent lots of money to get those deals. The whole thing was never intended to sell and with the awful design it could never have. The intention behind the project was to scam investors for money to spend on Ferraris.
enzo_20060221_010.jpg

^^^ This is how the Gametrac actually crashed ^^^
Story: http://www.wreckedexotics.com/special/enzo/

Let's stay realistic. We are not going to get EA games. We are not going to get ID games developed for P&|a.

What will be possible is ports of games with open engines. That includes ID games, Transport Tycoon and quite a few more. What I'd like to see is these games available for sale readily packaged at an official store. The way it's now you get the engine for free, get the content somewhere else legally, or if that's difficult, illegally and then take a look at the readme to sew it together so that it works. Then you notice that you got the wrong version of the content files and you need a special tool to convert the music. It would be great to just buy a working package and it would make more people get the legal version so everybody would profit from that. It would also provide good marketing for the platform because you couldn't just say "Q3 and TTD run on this." but "We have got official AAA games like Q3 and TTD!".

The next possibility is indie games. There are a lot of great PC indie games but most of these would probably be hard to port. It's also not easy to convince developers to develop especially for a platform this new and small. What most people here don't seem to realize is that there are a lot of great handheld indie games made for Windows Mobile and Palm. There were lots of awesome games on the Zodiac because it ran Palm OS! It needs to be easy for developers to expand their cross platform development to mobile Linux devices. Working together with other mobile Linux platforms like OpenMoko would probably be a good idea. I want Bike or Die, The Quest, Warfare Inc., Snails and Mazera on my P&|a! Once the P&|a is ready for spotlight I'll contact everyone I know from the Palm scene and try to find out what is possible.

So it probably isn't that difficult to get a few big name games and lots of awesome indie games for P&|a. It only takes some effort in spreading the word and a positive spirit towards commercial games in the community. What we have to prevent at the root is the expectation that there will be classic mainstream games. There are the DS and PSP for that, we don't want and don't need those.

A game that I'd love to see or if there was a way of getting it onto the Pandora is Skies of Arcadia Ledgends and that's the version of the Sega Dreamcast not the Gamecube because in the Dreamcast version there is more stuff you can do. But I would like to see that game on the Pandora some how because it's one of my favorite RPG's.

#1 GameMaster said:
A game that I'd love to see or if there was a way of getting it onto the Pandora is Skies of Arcadia Ledgends and that's the version of the Sega Dreamcast not the Gamecube because in the Dreamcast version there is more stuff you can do. But I would like to see that game on the Pandora some how because it's one of my favorite RPG's.
uh? skies of arcadia legends is the version of the gamecube, a port of the dreamcast version but the gamecube version has more stuff added

jens.l said:
Why not ask SEGA to make Games for the Pandora ?
lol, It's not like they have anything better to do.

I kinda doubt we will see any big names like Sega, Ubisoft, etc making games but I bet the makers of payback, and the guy who made Wind and Water, an tons of other small names will grab onto this platform

"Hey SEGA, after totally mutilating your old properties due to your recent inability to come up with an original thought, would you like to develop for this new portable console that encourages indy innovation and non-commerciality? Where are you going? What's that gun for?"

efegea said:
#1 GameMaster said:
uh? skies of arcadia legends is the version of the gamecube, a port of the dreamcast version but the gamecube version has more stuff added

Yes I will say that it did but one major thing that they got read of was being able to sell your ship because you could get better ships on the Dreamcast version unlike on the Gamecube version.

ha just got his two skies mixed up.

Legends is on the GC the original is on the Dreamcast

I am sure that is what he meant, you cant be a fan and not know that.

I suppose more than anything I would like there to be an English complication of Fire Emblem Games.

C B Felterbush said:
ha just got his two skies mixed up.

Legends is on the GC the original is on the Dreamcast

I am sure that is what he meant, you cant be a fan and not know that.

I suppose more than anything I would like there to be an English complication of Fire Emblem Games.
Sorry about that I have just seen what your talking about what happened is that I was talking to one of my friends about that the Gamecube version (Legends) and I guess I wasn't thinking at the time and added Legends to the end of it what I meant was Skies of Arcadia.

I _LOVE_ Skies of Arcadia. I still have a near mint complete copy of it for my DC.

But we aren't gonna see it on Pandora.

Back