Plans For Commercial Games?

Orkie said:
I find writing games extremely difficult because there is just so much going on at once, even in the simplest of games.
I don't find it THAT hard, and I wouldn't say there's much going on at once but much going on sequentially. Well I don't work with threads on the other hand..

Last edited by a moderator:
A_SN said:
I don't find it THAT hard
But you are vastly inferior to me in most other respects - you had to be good at something ;).

Nobody here has the ability to get a software house to develop for the Pandora. You could ask them nicely, but that's about it.

In this particular case, it may not even be necessary. These are the guys that made Beats of Rage, which was both open source, and awesome. I played the hell out of it on the Dreamcast and GP32, and it was available for the GP2X as well. While they don't specifically say one way or the other, we can hope that they'll make their two current projects open source as well.

I still think there's alot that can be done with the older Quake 2 and Quake 3 game engines. Half-life 1 is based on a modified Quake 2 engine and look at the incredible add-ons it spawned (Counterstrike and Day of Defeat namely). And I may be one of the few who thoroughly enjoyed American McGee's Alice, but it used the Quake 3 engine and was an awesome game.

Also, I would love to see releases using these engines with controls and play-schemes tailored to the Pandora (Wi-fi to Wi-fi, Wi-fi to Internet play, usb keyboard & mouse support, primary output to tv w. unit screen as map, ammo list etc. etc.) Afterall I think most people who purchase the Pandora are gonna be older gamers who value intelligent and creative content over flashly graphics and poorly rehashed concepts. I think the Pandora could offer a real bridge and synthesis between the usual tight and action-focused console gaming platforms and the indepth, configurable and organic pc platform.

(I've certainly not seen any homebrew on the PSP that gets close to real games)

I'm not familiar with the PSP hardware, but on the DS, it's difficult to make anything decent looking due to the lack of tools provided to the homebrew developer. <_<

nihilon said:
I still think there's alot that can be done with the older Quake 2 and Quake 3 game engines. Half-life 1 is based on a modified Quake 2 engine and look at the incredible add-ons it spawned (Counterstrike and Day of Defeat namely). And I may be one of the few who thoroughly enjoyed American McGee's Alice, but it used the Quake 3 engine and was an awesome game.

Also, I would love to see releases using these engines with controls and play-schemes tailored to the Pandora (Wi-fi to Wi-fi, Wi-fi to Internet play, usb keyboard & mouse support, primary output to tv w. unit screen as map, ammo list etc. etc.) Afterall I think most people who purchase the Pandora are gonna be older gamers who value intelligent and creative content over flashly graphics and poorly rehashed concepts. I think the Pandora could offer a real bridge and synthesis between the usual tight and action-focused console gaming platforms and the indepth, configurable and organic pc platform.
Ah, Alice that game was the first game I ever completed on PC. Great wicked story. If
games like this are possible on Pandora, that might be worth my money alone. A good lightweight, flexible racing game engine, would probably get a few games going. I must admit I'm not familiar with the process of writing code or reading it. I don't know what is possible with open source graphics. But if it can produce dx quality graphics then heck, I want to play it. Media capabilities(true 480p and HQ sound, I hope) and easy web browsing(right analogue as mouse) may be my primary uses for my Pandora. It was either Pandora or a ps3 but fortunately my brother got a ps3 yesterday.HAAAAAAAH. Feels good.

Platforms: PC, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, most likely GP2x and Xbox, and maybe more!

that is from the http://www.senileteam.com/aotbinfo.php Age of the Beast info page

a GP2x port means an SDL port which makes a pandora port a snap... i mean if they do a GP2x port there is no reason not to do a pandora realease too...

question is would they support networked multiplayer for the pandora?

could the pandora use bluetooth for short range multiplayer?

cb88 said:

Apparently AotB won't have networked multiplayer on any platform..
According to their FAQ:
Q: Will Age of the Beast have netplay/online features?
A: No. You'll just have to find yourself some friends in the real world to play with.

cb88 said:
Platforms: PC, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, most likely GP2x and Xbox, and maybe more!

that is from the http://www.senileteam.com/aotbinfo.php Age of the Beast info page

a GP2x port means an SDL port which makes a pandora port a snap... i mean if they do a GP2x port there is no reason not to do a pandora realease too...

could the pandora use bluetooth for short range multiplayer?

I'd rather them port Rush Rush Rally Racing to the Pandora, looks a great racing game, reminds of classics like Nitro, Supercars, Overdrive and Jupiter Masterdrive!

working in a game studio, i can tell you that there isn't much difference between homebrew and commercial games. main difference is money and time. money means you won't risk something that has not been successful before, and time means you'Ve got your little team working +40hrs/week.
other difference is that there is more of a balance between areas of expertise.. something like the p&|a community has more than 80% coder and less and 10% artist and designer. rest are gamers or emulation enthousiasts or whatever.

it's hard o get artists in because a plateform like the p&|a (or GP2X for that matter) means only restrictions while they could do whatever they want on PC (with flash for example) with a wider audience!

but iV'e seen some pixelers around here in the forums so all hope is not lost :D

..and for those saying that commercial studios won't benefit from the p&|a: there is protentially a lack of market, but on the other hand you're not binded with licensing, expensive devkits, weird data formats, and crappy machine. let's face it, the pandora is -thorically at least- much stronger than any other handheld. and with it's 128 MB of ram, that's more than the PS2 and Wii !
if you put aside userbase and piracy, that would be a much more comfortable and enjoyable console to make games for, even for Ubi Sega EA etc etc. i find it sad to think that a beast like that won't be pushed to its maximum and will instead run ports of 10yrs old games and do emulation.
i'll put my hope on the indie scene (who are all using SDL already anyway^^)

Back