Is There Any Plan To Have Commercial Games On Pandora Like Gp32 And Zo

Chip said:
Steam (and Xbox live, and WoW, etc) work because they're not DRMing the game so much as the service. You could easily pirate any of the Steam games by themselves, but without the Steam network, what's the point? So the reason they succeed is because they're doing what I suggest - giving people a reason to want to pay. They provide a service for paying users which instills a value above and beyond the software itself. The best part is, unlike Macrovision and other disc-based DRM, it's pretty much transparent to the user. Online validation is not a hassle when you're connecting to an online service anyway for multiplayer gaming.
steam IS a hassle when you dont care about online gaming, and just want to play through half life 2 tho.
i would much prefer to have a cd protection system (which is what i was hoping would be the case when i bought the actual boxed copy :\ ). none of this randomly not working because im not online, or annoying updates or extra resource stealing software. not saying that copy protection is a good thing, but nocd hacks are so much nicer (since i hate carrying around a bunch of cds with my laptop).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd certainly buy games of a W&W calibre, and I'd consider buying games of a slightly lower level (W&W is outstanding, after all). The trick, though, is to have commercial games that do actually exceed the quality of homebrew we've come to expect - and these days, that's pretty high quality.

I'll probably also buy at least a couple of the games Svartalf was talking about porting if he actually manages to get permission to do so. Fingers crossed :).

i would like to see some puzzle commercial games, i didnt have a gp2x only gp32 but the puzzle commercial games on gp2x seem very good. i like the racing commercial games on zodiac too. i bought them, a atv style racing and spy hunter...
hope for some racing and puzzle games

Chip said:
You could easily pirate any of the Steam games by themselves, but without the Steam network, what's the point?
Not having mandatory updates for playing single player games, so that you're gaming schedule doesn't depend on them, seems like a good point.

Forget trying to attract mainstream publishers for commercial games on Pandora, it simply won't even be a consideration until the install base is well over half a million.

What is possible though are individual indies, with games like Acquaria and Mr. Robot being perfect candidates. Still, I think you'd need an install base of 50-100k before even this would be viable.

renejr902 said:
i would like to see some puzzle commercial games, i didnt have a gp2x only gp32 but the puzzle commercial games on gp2x seem very good. i like the racing commercial games on zodiac too. i bought them, a atv style racing and spy hunter...
Spy Hunter - I agree. I really enjoyed that game on Zodiac. I personally think it deserved more respect than it got. Stuntcar Extreme too. Fathammer was really cool, good guys. I miss talking with them.

One thing that would really drive commercial game sales on Pandora is how well they use the hardware. Emulators get you tons of good games, but nothing that really shows what Pandora can truly do. Push the hardware in a game, and people would buy it just to see what the thing can actually do natively. I know I would. Afterall, this is much more powerful and more versatile hardware than PSP!

renejr902 said:
Absolutely! Stuntcar was my favorite, then mototrax and stuncar Extreme (both went onto Gizmondo - but it were better on zodiac).

Edit: Only problem was none of zodiacs commercial titles really pushed the hardware in it either (early games afterall) then company went under and no more. On the plus side, those quality commercial are/will be available in PS1 emulatation.

Ravnos said:
If you think that the GPL has more to do with the lack of Linux games than its minuscule market share, you're out of your mind. Or perhaps I missed the massive Mac gaming market that's sprung up.
Precisely why a handheld with less than 5000 units at launch aimed at a niche gaming market which happens to be what some in the gaming industry would consider as piracy, will not get a Capcom, SEGA, SNK, Rockstar, Konami, or any name-brand companies' games on it. Minuscule market share. But then again, we're not aiming for them, and they're ignoring us. Pandora team is no Nintendo.

how can i forget to say stuntcar extreme ! :) it was really great. i miss it too. i dont have a zodiac anymore. anyway this kind of racing game could help to sell pandora if they use fully the hardware.

Back